Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Breville Dual Boiler BES920XL
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Breville...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 13 last page next page
Author Messages
voodoo11

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES920XL
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario...
Drip: V60
Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 6:36am
Subject: New Breville Dual Boiler BES920XL

So I am very close to buying a lightly used BES900XL when I came across several references to the new BES920XL.  Some new features include softer pre-infusion, descaling capability, etc.

Does anyone have any insight to this machine?  Looks like I can order one from canada.  Will a 110V machine work in the US (sorry for the noob queestion)?  Does softer pre-infusion really matter?

Debating ~$800 for a used BES900XL vs. $1200 BES920XL from canada.  

Thoughts/guidance appreciated
 View Profile Link to this post
Fred1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 12:24pm
Subject: Re: New Breville Dual Boiler BES920XL

I would not buy a used Breville machine under any circumstance.  Used means no warantee.  Breville seems to be very good with their warantee coverage.  Many owners have reported having their machines replacede under warranty as many as 3 or 4 times.  My question is, wht happens when the warranty is expired.  Do you use the Breville as a door stop or paper weight?.

If you must buy a Breville, get the new 920.  It corrects defects in the 900 design like no user descale.  There are many machines in the BDB orice range that offer many advantages over the BDB.  Take a look at them before you pull the trigger.

Fred
voodoo11

Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 12:32pm

Admittedly, I haven't looked at many other machines (upgrading from a Silvia). 1200 really is my limit and I'm looking for something that's also a bit more "friendly" for the wife ;)

Out of curiously, what would you recommend in that price range?
cactus

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 8:38pm

I am glad that you posted this in addition to the other 920 thread going on.  I too am debating a used 900 for $800 on CL.  I could get a new one for $999 or a new 920 for $1200.  Now we are talking price creep here.

As others have said, I'm probably going to discount the used 900 off CL as the seller said he got it since May, which most likely means it's the A machine.  I could wind up with a new 900 for $999 plus 12% tax, but I'd get the comfort of a new machine plus a new warranty.  But for an extra $200, then it'd be the 920, and creeping up higher another $200 is an entry level E61 HX machine or just an HX machine.

Price creep is a deadly thing here.  .   .
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 9:02pm

There are a couple HX machines in the $1200 range,  much better value with them, I also agree, don't buy a used B machine, and personally, don't buy any B machine new or used they are consumer built, not heavier like other choices. YMMV.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Zetrick

Espresso: Breville BES920XL, Rancilio...
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W, Gaggia 8002...
Roaster: Artisan V
Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 9:20pm

I would not buy a used 900 for fear of getting the dreaded /A model that the majority of complaints come from. The /B model fixed many of the common errors, and now the 920 is the new model of the /B, with even more improvements.

After reading about the Breville DB (/B and 920) extensively, I decided to purchase the new 920 from idrinkcoffee.com with the 2 year warranty. Reviews of it so far are being compared to high end E61's (Rocket R58 and Expobar Brewtus) for shot taste/quality, and the majority of negative things you hear about the Breville DB in general are about the /A model that came out over 3 years ago.

I say, don't be afraid of the 920! And I'm also an advocate of sticking to budgets :P

Good luck researching/buying :)
voodoo11

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 5:22am

Zetrick,

I know by reading your posts that the new 920 is available at idrinkcoffee.  Have you received yours yet?  Any early reviews/thoughts?
Zetrick

Espresso: Breville BES920XL, Rancilio...
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W, Gaggia 8002...
Roaster: Artisan V
Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 9:33am

I haven't received it yet, but when I do I will post a first thoughts review!
friendlyfoe

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 12:47pm

the 920 you can descale yourself vs having to send the 900 in. That alone imo makes it worth getting the 920, but there are also a bunch of other small upgrades.

I'm very happy to see it on sale at 1200. I'm going on vacation for 2 months but when i get back if i can still buy it at that price i'll probably be getting one.
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 4:46pm

I had a detailed conversation the other day with Breville USA regarding the 920 - I was lucky enough to get a semi-knowledgeable supervisor on the phone that really understood the differences between the 900 and 920.

Bottom line - Breville will be selling the 920 directly to the public starting on 2/1 - but if you want to buy from a US retailer - you can only purchase it directly from Breville starting on that date.  They will not be distributing to Amazon, William Sonoma etc initially - they want to control distribution for the first month or two so they can see how the initial launch goes... half of me thinks that is a wise move, but the other half makes me wonder if they are doing that because they are themselves not sure if it is truly "ready"?  That kind of launch could be perceived as a double edged sword.  But, as stated above, there are Canadien retailers that will have availability (idrinkcoffee).

One thing that caught me off guard - I was told by the Breville CS rep in that conversation that there will be a TWO YEAR WARRANTY with the 920 in the US - to contrast the 900 had a one year as we all know.  

I was skeptical regarding the touted two year warranty in the US on introduction - recall the launch of the 900 where even our loyal site owner Mark Prince had in his initial 900 write up that it came with a two year warranty - only to be disappointed later on that the warranty was actually only one year.  But after asking the Breville CS rep multiple times if the two year warranty would magically transform into a one year warranty for the US after the 920 was released, the CS rep was firm that the 920 would have a two year warranty... for good.

Hmmm.... $100 more with the ability to descale, a two year warranty... a small step forward... or maybe a giant leap?
showing page 1 of 13 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Breville...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323157072067)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+