Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Difficulty with Gaggia Classic & Iberital MC2 grinder
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Difficulty with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MasterMark

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 3:08am
Subject: Difficulty with Gaggia Classic & Iberital MC2 grinder

Morning all!

Well, I recently purchased a Gaggia Classic and paired it with an Iberital MC2 grinder. Despite the plethora of helpful guides here and elsewhere, I'm struggling!

I believe the problem to be with the grinder, and with me (not in that order I suspect), and that the machine is fine. I think the issue is partly that as a novice I don't really know how to get the grind right. It's a stepless grinder, and I seem to be turning incessantly without any noticeable change in the grind. It comes out pretty clumpy, and however much I turn the fine-ness dial, and tamp, the espresso flows out like a waterfall. And in fact the last couple of times, the espresso has sediment in it(!), and when I take the portafilter out, it's very "wet", if that makes sense. I then pulled a shot with some pre-ground Lavazza, just to see, and those problems didn't happen (just bad coffee, as you'd expect!).

Anyone with any ideas? I imagine the beans aren't the best - they came free with the grinder (from an excellent UK company called Happy Donkey) - they don't have a roasted date on them, but they're certainly not going to be worse than the pre-ground Lavazza, so there's something else!

I don't want to over-tighten the grinder in case the burrs touch, but I just don't know how to get to a decent setting. If anyone has any suggestions/experience with this grinder, that would be great!
 View Profile Link to this post
al_bongo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 6:46am
Subject: Re: Difficulty with Gaggia Classic & Iberital MC2 grinder

After much research I bought an Iberital grinder to go with my Starbucks Barista espresso machine (with replacement non pressurised portafilter). The Iberital is not an easy grinder to set up for the first time. It is I think an amazing grinder for the money and will give excellent results with your Gaggia with practice.

The setting of my Iberital out the box was way off espresso setting and probably required dozens of full rotations of the grinder knob to get to a fine enough setting. Each full revolution of the grinder knob is a tiny adjustment which is brilliant when you have dialed in your grind and you need to compensate for the beans staling as you go through them.

I did not have the nerve to adjust the grinder while it is running until the burrs just touched and to back off from there to find an espresso setting. I suspect that might be the quickest way to an espresso setting. But I wasn't comfortable with that and didn't want to damage the grinder.

Realistically I'd suggest at least a dozen full turns finer of the grinder setting knob between shots until you get to a decent setting. If I recollect even a change of beans could mean half a dozen full rotations of the grind setting from the previous beans to get the setting for the new beans.

The Iberital is not widely known on here but I think you have a great combination and the Iberital grinder is very definitely a capable espresso grinder.

PS The Starbucks machine didn't have some ?valve that other machines do and the puck always came out wet. This is normal for that machine and might be the same for your Gaggia.
Mrboots2u
Mrboots2u
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium 1
Grinder: Eureka mythos
Roaster: All over the place
Posted Sun Feb 2, 2014, 2:12am

Start by getting some fresh beans , lavazza wil be stale , although happy donkey in the uk are a reputable equipment supplier , they are providing you with beans with no roast date not them. I suspect these are no better than supermarket beans in terms of freshness.
Stale beans, gushing extractions ,
Get some fresh beans ( preferably something you want to drink , 500-750 of one bean)  , get some scales , dose consistently , aim for an extraction ( preferably measure by weight if you can) .
Taste , taste , taste ,
They are loads of brilliant roasters that supply locally or online in the uk , there is no excuse for sticking to poor beans .
capndan

Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 6:48pm

I'm having a similar issue right now, except I am using a Maestro Plus I've had for a good 4 or 5 years now. My machine is a new Gaggia Classic and I am seeing almost exactly as described above. Espresso comes out like a waterfall, I fill up a 5 oz cup in about 8 seconds. When I take out the portafilter it is wet and messy, and the underside of the machine is covered in loose grounds.

I've got my Maestro turned as fine as it can go, don't really have a frame of reference for what proper grinds should look like but it is very fine. I've tried 15, 14, and 13 g of coffee, and varied my tamping from light to as hard as I can press. Nothing seems to slow it down.

Is my grinder no good?
dwRK

Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 11:24pm

the iberital should be OK...the maestro not so...

read this for waterfall flow...

also most beans should get dry puck...some beans will be bit wet but can be knocked out...but never soupy with 3-way valve...

the coffee should not touch the screen...the "underside" should be quite clean after the pull
MasterMark

Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 3:03am

Hello all. Thanks for all the responses - an update, and things are no better! I purchased some decent beans from Hasbean (roasted 6 days ago). I've attached a picture of the grind I'm getting from the Iberital mc2 - I've been adjusting it an awful lot, but am scared to go to too far as I don't want the burrs to touch and break it.

In any event, not sure what I'm looking for but it doesn't look good to me. The other picture is the monstrous brown liquid that rushes out in less than 5 seconds. The puck at the end is indeed a wet, soupy mess. I did a test with the stale lavazza ground coffee just to see, and at least the puck looked fine. So there's no problem with the machine, the beans are fresh, so the problem must be with my grind. Anyone with any further ideas?!

MasterMark: Brown.jpg
(Click for larger image)
MasterMark

Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 3:04am

Oops, grind photo now attached.

MasterMark: grind.jpg
(Click for larger image)
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 3:27am

Use the double basket, fill till the coffee is mounded up about 1cm above the lip, wipe level with a finger, tamp. Coffee level should be 0.5cm below the lip of the basket.

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MasterMark

Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 3:37am

Thanks, Alan. That's pretty much what I've been doing - the gaggia double basket has a groove on the inside, about 1/2 cm below the top lip, as you say. That's where I'm getting the coffee to be filled after tamping.
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 4:28am

Can't tell much from the pic, but if it's still gushing through you're not grinding fine enough. In fact at 5s you are way off the mark

If you adjust with the motor running you will here if the burrs touch so you shouldn't damage the grinder.

It will work just keep grinding finer. If you go too far  the water won't flow through the puck. Aim for that then back off.

I wouldn't be wasting fresh beans. Use the Happy Donkey until you get near where you need to be. Then coarsen the grind a bit when you move over to the fresh beans.

Seriously a dozen turns is a relatively small adustment with this grinder. It is a good grinder but until you get to know it, it is incredibly frustarting.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Difficulty with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.332062005997)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+