Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Silvia Temp. Surfing Technique
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia Temp....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
JerDGold

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Breville...
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 10:09pm
Subject: Re: Silvia Temp. Surfing Technique

Click Here (www.auberins.com)

this is the guy?  If so...why are the PID kits so expensive? What part of the kit makes it so pricey? The Sensor? The SSR?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:15pm

You can price each piece against Ebay stuff.  Auber is easy to program, has good instructions and reasonable components.  If you try to find and buy wires of appropriate size and temperature rating, then spade connectors and then labor and tools you can exceed the price.  If you solder and have connectors, shrink tubing and wires laying around you can beat the price.  You only need the PID, hopefully, and likely.  I think I gave you the list of components including the box, early on, and you can add up what you get in the kit. I suggest a friend with electronic knowledge and a Digital multimeter before spending money on the PID, but your decision.  If you buy it can you install it? Can you fix the wire?....

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 7:16am

]

JerDGold Said:

Click Here (www.auberins.com)

this is the guy?  If so...why are the PID kits so expensive? What part of the kit makes it so pricey? The Sensor? The SSR?

Posted January 20, 2014 link

just a numbers game, very few people buy them, and not many machines come with PID anyway. Kinda like how car parts/mods/tuner shops are more costly for lower production vehicles, vs similar parts and tuning for a Stang etc.
JerDGold

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 1:19pm

So I don't have soldering tools, but I do have a fair with pretty extensive electronic/mechanical knowledge.  He just bought and rebuilt a 1980's pinball machine, I'm pretty sure that qualifies him!

That being said, I'm pretty sure I could properly install it myself.  Now that I've been talking about it for a few days, I'm feeling less overwhelmed.  I mean there aren't really that many components.  I've built computers before, although this is clearly different.  My biggest concern isn't getting everything connected properly, but programming the PID.  Seems like there might be a light of technical notations that are wayyyy over my head.

Let's assume the only piece I need IS the 1512 PID.  Let's say I buy it and connect it correctly (which I'm confident I can do).  My worry is that I'm going to have to do some sort set-up/programming of the PID that I'm afraid I won't understand and mess up.  Next thing I know I'm using a PID that I think is set up correctly, and it's giving me bad information and all I can pour are sink shots!
D4F

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 1:24pm

You may also need a SSR since that was not tested without the PID working.  You can find that at Auber if needed, or like this

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 1:31pm

PID is easy to set up and direction are clear that come with the PID.  I am sure that many here can give you Silvia parameters, mainly (SV) set temperature and the P, I, and D settings.  The kit is more user friendly in that most of it is preset and then you can modify.  Here is the Auber equivalent manual, almost identical. You need to understand how to scroll through the parameters.

D4F also at
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 2:02pm

marosmith Said:

I think PID's are preposterously overpriced for such an extremely simple piece of technology (a thermostat and digital readout).

Posted January 17, 2014 link

If that was all a PID was it would be preposterous.
JerDGold

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 9:23am

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all your help, especially D4F who clearly took time out of about two of his days to help me with this.  More to come as I am going to order the PID today.  I promise I will exhaust all of my knowledge and effort before I come to you all for help! ;)
D4F

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 10:49pm

Get your PID and get what you want, "satisfaction."  :)

D4F also at
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia Temp....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.35425901413)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+