Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket Giotto Plus vs Evoluzione V2
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket Giotto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Roc1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 12:23pm
Subject: Rocket Giotto Plus vs Evoluzione V2

Am about to pull the trigger on the Giotto but for approx 179 extra I can get the Evoluzione model. The differences that I can see is that you get a rotary pump (rather than the vibratory one on the Giotto) and the option to be able to plumb it in.

Evoluzione:
http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/rocket...e-machine.html

Giotto:
http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/brands...e-machine.html

My current kitchen set up wouldn't allow for plumbing in (it may do in the future, poss 5+ years time when we have an extension done), so I guess my question is, as things stand is it worth the extra for the Evoluzione to get the vibratory pump?

I don't know enough about the differences so here was my first port of call! Ideally wanted to put the order in tonight or tomorrow so advice is appreciated!

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
dsblv

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 2:58pm
Subject: Re: Rocket Giotto Plus vs Evoluzione V2

You're correct on the differences.   The Plus model used to only have a boiler pressure gauge but Rocket added the pump pressure gauge to the Plus when they released the V2 models.

The Evo does have the option to drain the drip tray.  That's a bigger deal than you'd think.  The Rocket has a smaller drip tray and it's very, very handy to drain the drip tray to an external container.  

The rotary pump is another major advantage for the Evo.  The rotary pump is much quieter and more durable than a vibe pump.  Having a rotary pump makes it easier to backflush and descale the machine since you don't have to worry about the duty cycle of the pump.

Either way, you can't go wrong.  Rocket produces outstanding espresso machines and either one will deliver great performance for many years.
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 7:26pm

dsblv Said:

The rotary pump is another major advantage for the Evo.  The rotary pump is much quieter and more durable than a vibe pump.  Having a rotary pump makes it easier to backflush and descale the machine since you don't have to worry about the duty cycle of the pump.

Posted January 20, 2014 link

The only thing I would add here.

The Rotary pump is quieter with a more elegant system of brew pressure control....as for Durable in the domestic environment they will time expire in a sense (the seals go), so probably the life of either is similar. However the Vibe pump is very cheap to replace and works fine. With the rotary you have the potential for a pump and motor going wrong, either one is much times more expensive than a vibe pump.

That said, I prefer a rotary pump.
Bogiesan

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore Famosa c.2000
Grinder: Rancilio M40
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 5:39am

DavecUK Said:

The Rotary pump is quieter with a more elegant system of brew pressure control....as for Durable in the domestic environment they will time expire in a sense (the seals go), so probably the life of either is similar. However the Vibe pump is very cheap to replace and works fine. With the rotary you have the potential for a pump and motor going wrong, either one is much times more expensive than a vibe pump.

I think most of us lust after the rotary pump. After a paddle or E61, large capacity boiler or double boilers, the rotary pump is the last remaining upgrade the advanced home espresso nutjob can add to his or her dream machine.

Personal anecdote: The little Ulka pump in my original Salvatore lasted 13-14 years, 30,000 or more espresso shots. When I replaced my machine just recently, I had the option of putting in the rotary but it's simply not practical in my kitchen.

I play go. I use Macintosh,. Of course I ride a recumbent.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 5:59am

DavecUK Said:

I am not sure I agree with the "expiration" of the pump, sure it is possible but I have yet to see a rotary pump go bad, even on decades old machines that I have while the vibe pump does not fill me with the same confidence. On my Sylvia rebuild, I replaced the vibe pump for exactly that reason but there was no sign of failure on the vibe pump at the time.

Vibes do cost less, for sure however I find the rotary to be a little smoother in operation as well as the much commented on, quieter operation. The option for future plumb in is a very nice option to have and the use of the machine, the same machine, as a pour over and as a plumb in, is a totally different experience. Just saying. This is why many choose to run plumb in machines on a bottle and drain into a bottle rather than staying with a pour over only machine, even when making holes is not an option. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Roc1

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 2:26pm

Thanks for the replies.  I've gone for the evoluzione in the end.  I'm seeing this as a machine that I will use everyday for many years to come, so the extra 180 wasn't a big deal in the end for me to get the better machine.
dsblv

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 2:33pm

Enjoy!  The Evoluzione is a great machine and will last a very long time.
espressocanada
espressocanada

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 5:20pm

I'm in the same decision maker here as well and was thinking of either the Rocket Giotto Premium Plus V2 or the Bezzera Magica E61.

Two factors are swinging me over to the Evoluzione ...the insulated tank was a smart idea. But no rotary pump but a $400 difference in price as well.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket Giotto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.357739925385)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+