Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 251 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:29am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

B747VET Said:

- The pucks are still sticking much less on the /B and it seems that using the Breville tamper as a guide seems to help.

Posted December 2, 2013 link

Under dosing a tapered basket, and leaving the puck in too long after pulling will both cause sticking.  I almost never get a sticking puck on my 2+ year old /A model.  But I make sure every one of my doses is within 0.1g of the each other.

B747VET Said:

Instead of loading by weight, I have started loading by volume.

You should ALWAYS dose by volume.  The purpose of the scale is to make sure you can get the same volume again and again.  Without a scale, you're just guessing.  At a nominal 0.1 gram per half-bean, nobody on earth can guess that well with his naked eye.

B747VET Said:

- I've set it so that every double shot results in about two ounces and takes about 30 seconds @ 9 bar.  I use Lavazza Super Crema and these techniques are yielding the most consistently delicious pulls I've ever enjoyed on any machine.  Am I doing anything incorrectly?

In other words, what can I do better in terms of pulling great espresso and caring for the machine?

Thanks...

Try using fresh beans.  Using canned beans you probably aren't getting real crema anyway, but in case you are getting real crema, try scooping it off with a little espresso spoon and drinking the shot without the crema... Much sweeter that way, as crema is where a lot of the bitter bite some people like lies.  If the shot tastes sweeter without the crema then you're getting real crema.  If the shot tastes the same with or without, you're not.  Depending on the bean, I'm not always a big fan of cremas bitterness so I usually either scoop it off or wait till it gasses off.  But I always get real crema whether i want it or not, because I use fresh beans and have a good grinder.

More on cremea's inherently bad taste: http://www.jimseven.com/2009/07/06/video-1-crema/
-Peter
 View Profile Link to this post
dagoat

Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 1:00pm

Now it's my turn on the hot seat...

My two year old /A model, when powered up, the pump runs at low power constantly, filling up the drip tray as it does.  I think it's pumping out the boiler, because if i let it cool, then start it up again it runs louder, for a longish time, filling the boiler as if it's empty... which i suspect it is, because the drip tray is full and the reservoir is significantly low.  I should also add another bit I just discovered.  Even if the pump is not running, when the machine is on and warmed up, there is a near constant gurgling noise that it turns out, is also filling the drip tray.

Off to talk to Breville.

It's obviously off warranty, but I did get if from Williams Sonoma, a recognized dealer.

Wish me luck.

-Peter
greglepore

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 4:58pm

Me too. 18 month old unit from Whole Latte Love has developed a buzz from the upper front area whenever the pump is engaged, sounds much like a solenoid coil going to heaven. Sent an email to Breville today, will report back on their response.

Not freaking, its the kind of issue that any machine could have, but somewhere I suspect Wayne is nodding and saying "told you so" :)
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 7:32pm

dagoat Said:

It's obviously off warranty, but I did get if from Williams Sonoma, a recognized dealer.

Wish me luck.

-Peter

Posted January 5, 2014 link

On a related note, the Williams Sonoma at our local mall, which has been there forever, is closing that store location... I have heard that is the case in a couple of other locations.  Not sure it is a sign of the times, or bigger problems at WS?

Maybe they are sensing a rush of BDB's coming in off warranty, and getting out before all the machines come back!  Lol... just kidding guys.

Wasn't kidding about the WIlliams Sonoma local store going out of business though...
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 10:04pm

greglepore Said:

Me too. 18 month old unit from Whole Latte Love has developed a buzz from the upper front area whenever the pump is engaged, sounds much like a solenoid coil going to heaven. Sent an email to Breville today, will report back on their response.

Not freaking, its the kind of issue that any machine could have, but somewhere I suspect Wayne is nodding and saying "told you so" :)

Posted January 6, 2014 link

Actually, I don't come to this thread, I was sent an email,
I don't give this thread a first let alone a second thought, I must be living rent free in the minds of many  here, Thanks, it is nice to know people are listening :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
melbob

Espresso: BDB (BES900), Silvia
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder;...
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 3:40am

NZ support recommendations from anyone?
My BDB is over 2 years old, over 4000 shots, and over the last couple of months I've been getting problems... *all* intermittent, but still nasty, and today I had them all at different times.
  1. Gurgling / overheating, has been reported by some others (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpokhbP12PA)
    This seems most likely to happen if the machine has been left on for an hour+, and often can be resolved turning it off and waiting for it to cool down.
  2. Pre-infusion sometimes now lacks the pump.  i.e. it is almost silent, till the main pump kicks in.
  3. Buzzing - like a shorting sound almost - sometimes for the first half-second when I press 'manual', sometimes longer.  The sound is alarming, though brief.
  4. Starting to leak a little from the steam wand and from the group head.

I rang the Breville 0800 number - I'm in Auckland - and got referred to an authorised service centre in Pitt St.  Took it in, tried to describe the problems, also asked if maybe the firmware upgrade was possible.  The lady at the desk duly made notes.  2 days later I get a call - "your machine's ready - we dismantled / cleaned / reassembled it, no parts needed, it runs fine".  Jeez.
The leaks are reduced, almost gone.  The other intermittent problems are still intermittent problems.  I don't think they have a clue about the machine.  Where can I take it to in Auckland - should I try the Breville head office in Mt Wellington? I think that's where I think I got the OPV adjustment when new.
Thanks!
dagoat

Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 10:57pm

Re my old /A machine from a few posts ago that was pumping out it's reservoir into the drip tray?  i went through the ordinary channels of calling breville customer service.  a few quick menu prompts and about a minute or two on wait and i got a real person who talked me through some diagnostics, then verified my original order number with a reputable official dealer (williams sonoma), and then offered a replacement.  it arrived a couple of days ago with the box labeled /B.

all fine with that, but the /B machines have their portafilters notched on top of the handle where the handle joins the bowl, to clear the ring of the bottom of the group.  sadly, my /A naked PF is not notched.  i won't be able to use it again unless i grind a notch myself.  right now, my technique is pretty dialed-in so i have minimal need for the diagnostic utility of a naked, so i won't be in a hurry to grind on mine.  but one day i probably will.  so in the mean time, i'm using the new notched, stock spouted PF.

oh well.  that's small potatoes in comparison to Breville's above and beyond customer service.

on edit: i'm seriously starting to wonder if maybe breville is in partial cahoots with williams sonoma and their other official distributors on warranty issues

-peter
jeffs99

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza vario
Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 10:40pm

After researching espresso machines for at
least 6 months, i took the dive and recently purchased
one of these (/B model) and so far have been
loving it as well as still learning.

I've read through about 70% of these posts and didn't find my answer.
Forgive me if this was covered else where.

Questions:

1. What size is the single wall double basket included with this machine?
    I know a lot of people over dose this basket but what I want to know
    is what amount was this basket designed for?

2. Not sure if there's a correct answer for this but
    I'll ask anyways. while using the single wall double basket, Ive made adjustments
    such that I'm pulling right at 9 bars. With the settings
    at default, (7 sec pre-infusion, 200 degrees, etc) if I have the display is displaying time,
    at what optimal time should the espresso start pouring out of basket? And at what optimal
    time should the pour stop flowing?

Thanks
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 10:54am

jeffs99 Said:

Questions:

What size is the single wall double basket included with this machine?
I know a lot of people over dose this basket but what I want to know
is what amount was this basket designed for?

Not sure if there's a correct answer for this but
I'll ask anyways. while using the single wall double basket, Ive made adjustments
such that I'm pulling right at 9 bars. With the settings
at default, (7 sec pre-infusion, 200 degrees, etc) if I have the display is displaying time,
at what optimal time should the espresso start pouring out of basket? And at what optimal
time should the pour stop flowing?

Thanks

Posted January 20, 2014 link

Congrats! What do you use for a grinder? You grinder will make or break your espresso experience. I'm guessing you already have a scale that has a resolution of .1 grams.

The following is my personal experience, believe me when I say there are LOTS OF OPINIONS on they questions you are asking.

Doses will vary a bit with your particular bean, I'm always around 18-18.5. There's little room for error as if you underdone you'll hit the basket with your tamp and if you overdose you'll hit the dispersion screen when you put the PF in the group head. You can check this by removing the PF and seeing if the top of your tamped and polished dose is disturbed. The Breville tamp also has that line on it that lets you estimate a good dose (and level). So weigh your dose out, tamp and see where it lands.

The single basket is even less tolerant (in my experience). Mostly I was around 13gm doses. 10gm was too little to tamp. If you want to use the single basket just use the same technique.

Optimal time is a personal preference. You'll find most people don't use pre-programmed dose volumes. I weigh the espresso shots as they pour and aim for 36gm in ~35 seconds. Which means stopping the shot just after 30gm as the scale is always a bit behind and some more pours off even after the button is pushed.

That's just me with all my beans and blends, which I test as americanos.

I know it sounds silly, but why not take notes and see where your preferences lie? Keep a diary! Find a good dose and vary only the grind, see what you like.

The great thing about our machine - we can vary temp. So keep notes on that too! If you have a dark, oily espresso try dropping the temp, is it a light roast- raise it up.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jeffs99

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza vario
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 8:23am

PrescottCR Said:

Congrats! What do you use for a grinder? You grinder will make or break your espresso experience. I'm guessing you already have a scale that has a resolution of .1 grams.

The following is my personal experience, believe me when I say there are LOTS OF OPINIONS on they questions you are asking.

Doses will vary a bit with your particular bean, I'm always around 18-18.5. There's little room for error as if you underdone you'll hit the basket with your tamp and if you overdose you'll hit the dispersion screen when you put the PF in the group head. You can check this by removing the PF and seeing if the top of your tamped and polished dose is disturbed. The Breville tamp also has that line on it that lets you estimate a good dose (and level). So weigh your dose out, tamp and see where it lands.

The single basket is even less tolerant (in my experience). Mostly I was around 13gm doses. 10gm was too little to tamp. If you want to use the single basket just use the same technique.

Optimal time is a personal preference. You'll find most people don't use pre-programmed dose volumes. I weigh the espresso shots as they pour and aim for 36gm in ~35 seconds. Which means stopping the shot just after 30gm as the scale is always a bit behind and some more pours off even after the button is pushed.

That's just me with all my beans and blends, which I test as americanos.

I know it sounds silly, but why not take notes and see where your preferences lie? Keep a diary! Find a good dose and vary only the grind, see what you like.

The great thing about our machine - we can vary temp. So keep notes on that too! If you have a dark, oily espresso try dropping the temp, is it a light roast- raise it up.

Posted January 21, 2014 link

Thanks for the great info.

When you say 35 sec, are you including the (default) 7 sec pre-infusion time?

As for grinder, I presently have a Breville Smart grinder but after reading about others, I've ordered the Baratza Vario and will return the BSG.
And I am also using a scale with 0.1 gm resoultion.
showing page 251 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.494347810745)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+