Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Silvia Temp. Surfing Technique
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia Temp....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 5:22pm
Subject: Re: Silvia Temp. Surfing Technique

So far, I seen that the PID is not connected to power and the SSR output is not connected.  The sensor is wired to the PID and appears to be long slender on top  of the boiler?  Identify wires from PID to SSR, probably 9 and 10 at the back of the PID, and the small wires at the SSR.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 5:36pm

1 and 2 are power to the run the PID, connected to PID, not connected to power.  3 is ground on some, often unused.  4 and 5 are not used unless you have more than PID set temperature - they are for alarm and used for steam.  6,7,8 are the sensor RTD type, and 9,10 are PID output to the SSR.

D4F also at
JerDGold

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Breville...
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 5:54pm

Okay, here goes.

From the PID to the SSR are two wires.  White from #9 on PID to SSR A2(-) and red from #10 to SSR A1(+)

From PID #1 and #1 are thin black wires, unconnected and bundled with the also unconnected larger orange wires from the SSR.  Seen in this photo.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106 785442612763284887/RancilioSilvi aPIDDiagnostic?authkey=Gv1sRgCLi xsrungq3e3AE#5971089310117291026

Additionally, the sensor is a long slender silver wire from the PID #7 and #8 which appears to be connected to the boiler at the "knob" without the red dot. As seen in this photo.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106 785442612763284887/RancilioSilvi aPIDDiagnostic?authkey=Gv1sRgCLi xsrungq3e3AE#5971142928405605186

Finally, there is a tiny white wire on the PID the runs simply from #6 to #7.

That covers all the wires.  I have, in the past, connected the four wires that are currently not connected (the two large orange wires from the SSR and the two thin black wire from the PID) in a configuration that followed the directions from this site.  PID Documentation  Obviously that didn't do it.

Could it be as simple so simple that I don't have the wire to connect the PID to power? Seems so crazy that the original owner would sell his Silvia with a non-functioning PID if this was the only problem.
D4F

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 6:25pm

Where did you plug in the power wires?

Where did you plug in the orange wires?  Describe the process.

D4F also at
JerDGold

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 6:53pm

I connected the male red wires from the SSR to the grey and red female ends that were originally connected to the brew thermostat. I couldn't find any information about which wire goes to which color, so I assumed it didn't matter.  

I connected the black wires from PID #1 and #2 to what I assume is where they get power from, the top two female connectors on the back of the power switch.  When I powered on the machine, I got no visual cue from the PID was it was functioning.

I did notice that the sensor wire is not connected to the brew thermostat, but to the steam thermostat.  Maybe it's a brew/steam PID?  I assume that if all things were working, the PID would still turn on, whether the sensor is connected to the brew or steam thermostat.
D4F

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 7:14pm

You put the piggyback connectors on the power switch and reconnected the original wires on the piggybacks back to the switches??? And then no power?

You can power the PID by using a plug in cord, unplugged, and connect to each piggyback and over tape with electrical tape.  Use a cord and bare enough copper wire to twist around the piggybacks and tape over. You can plug it in to the wall and get AC that way.  That will see if it turns on.  If not, the controller is dead.  Of course this is where a volt meter could help to see if you had a switched connection and got power to the controller from Silvia.  If you clearly understand the instructions about plugging in try that, and if not photo what you are doing and post before you plug in.  Leave the SSR disconnected and tape over those connections so that they cannot short if the PID works.

D4F also at
JerDGold

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 8:00pm

https://picasaweb.google.com/1067854426127 63284887/January202014#5971176040354137746

That image shows the red SSR cables disconnected, with the original brew-control cables connected.  You can also see the black piggyback cables for power connected to the power switch.  When the machine is powered on, I get no response from the PID.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1067854426127 63284887/January202014#5971176037419683202

This picture shows where I just broke one of the male connectors from the SSR.  Oops.  I was trying to disconnect the SSR cable from the brew controller and the cable pulled right out of the clip.

That being said, I should, in theory I think, be able to power the PID without the SSR connected to the brew control.  Like you said, I assume this means that there is a problem either with the innards of the PID or with the power switch on the Silvia.  And I clearly don't have the tools available to diagnose this.  I wasn't quite able to follow your plug in method, but I'm not a very domesticated house and don't have things like tape and copper wire.  Can you think of any other way to diagnose this problem...?
D4F

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 8:33pm

You need to check your links by going to them as I have to.  I got the first to work, not these.  ? dates, I can take care of extra spaces ?  So, can't see your photos.  Copper wire to make the wrap is under the insulation of the cord.

At this point I am not sure that you got power to the PID.  If I understand correctly, you connected the PID wires on 1 and 2 to the power switch.  With those wires connected did the machine turn on normally at the time the PID failed?

D4F also at
JerDGold

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 9:19pm

https://picasaweb.google.com/106 785442612763284887/RancilioSilvi aPIDDiagnostic?authkey=Gv1sRgCLi xsrungq3e3AE#5971197818937280130
https://picasaweb.google.com/106785442612763284887/RancilioSilviaPIDDiagnostic?authkey=Gv1sRgCLixsrungq3e3AE#5971197827347365906

Ok, those should work, sorry about that.

And yes, that is correct, I connected the PID wires 1 and 2 to the power switch.  The machine powered on normally, however the PID does not turn on.
D4F

Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 9:34pm

Other than to confirm by hooking it to direct power via ac cord, probably not necessary, the PID seems dead.  I can't quite see how every thing is hooked up on the piggybacks of the black PID wires when I look at the first picture of the wires and then the PID power wires on the front, but if the machine is on and the PID wires are on the switch at the same time, PID seems dead.  A volt meter would confirm that voltage is to the PID terminals making more certain that it is dead and not a wiring problem.

If you want it to work, I suggest a friend with a digital multimeter and confirm all wiring intact and voltage to the PID.  Repair the broken off terminal, and then replace the PID.  The Auber 1512 PID is not expensive and you have the wiring, box, and RTD sensor.  You will need help to hook it up, but it is mostly there.

D4F also at
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia Temp....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318830966949)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+