Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Breville BES920
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Breville...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
voodoo11

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES920XL
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario...
Drip: V60
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 5:57pm
Subject: Re: New Breville BES920

KatBrazier Said:

Hi Voodoo11,

To put your mind at ease, you have not damaged the seal; it is made of silicon not rubber.

Posted March 6, 2014 link

Got it.  Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
voodoo11

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014, 6:52pm

Quick report from the trenches.

New beans, good results.  Keeping it at 18g in and averaging 32-38g out.  Two new things to consider:

After breaking in my 920xl, I now have to take the Breville Naked PF past the locked position to prevent leaking.  I understand this is normal.  What I don't think is normal is that now it is so tough to remove/lock into place that this very action causes me to move the entire machine with this motion.  I verified the feet are in the "locked" position but this doesn't seem normal.

Also, still concerned my grinder is at 2E in order to lengthen the extraction time.  I am getting consistently good (but short) shots at blonding at the 3A setting on my grinder.  One thing I did do was increase the shot temp to 202F.  Does anyone know what/if anything shot temp does to overall extraction times?

Other then that, I'm a happy customer.  My Clive tamper arrives tomorrow and I will report back after using it a few times.  I'm assuming this will be a major upgrade over the stock tamper.
Bill33525

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler 920
Grinder: Quamar M80
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 11:04am

Just wondering if you have a new Naked PF designed for the 920? Breville said the old one will not work on the 920.
Breville says there will be an exchange program for folks receiving a 920 on exchange and owning a Naked PF from the old 900.

I am having good results with my new 920 using the manual pre-infusion technique of holding the manual button until 4 grams are in the cup and then going to full pressure.
I set my pre-infusion pressure to around 5 bars. Using the Quamar M80 to grind.
OliveOil
OliveOil
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 12:13pm

Nothing to add.  I just want to follow the thread.  Sorry!
voodoo11

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 3:04pm

Bill33525 Said:

Just wondering if you have a new Naked PF designed for the 920? Breville said the old one will not work on the 920.
Breville says there will be an exchange program for folks receiving a 920 on exchange and owning a Naked PF from the old 900.

I am having good results with my new 920 using the manual pre-infusion technique of holding the manual button until 4 grams are in the cup and then going to full pressure.
I set my pre-infusion pressure to around 5 bars. Using the Quamar M80 to grind.

Posted March 18, 2014 link

I was jamming the 900 Naked PF into my machine but called Breville and returned it to them.  Awaiting the 920 specific naked PF to be released.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 3:19pm

Sorry for the thread drift, but...

Bill,

Bill33525 Said:

... Using the Quamar M80 to grind.

Posted March 18, 2014 link

How do you like your M80?  If you don't mind taking the time to read it, what would you say to the people who reviewed it in this thread on H-B?

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Bill33525

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler 920
Grinder: Quamar M80
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 10:19am

I agree with the fact this grinder can produce a great espresso and that is why I purchased it. There is sufficient adjust-ability with the detente collar to dial in the grind with ease.
I have made a single dose tube out of a light weight PVC tail tube. This is the tube that connects to the bottom of a sink. It's 1 1/2" outside diameter.

Like this: Click Here (www.hardwareworld.com)

Used a hack saw to cut 6-8 small cuts in the bottom of the tube. The tube can then be pushed slightly into the mouth of the grinder. The grinder motor is started and the measured beans are poured into the tube. No weight is required for the grinder to process all the beans. The result is great espresso from my Dual Boiler.

Much has been written on single dosing and at least one expert on the subject has determined that weighting down the beans does not change the taste.

Finally, removed the over load switch so I can clean out the chute each time.

Hope this information helps.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 10:53am

Bill33525 Said:

Hope this information helps.

Posted March 19, 2014 link

Bill, yes it does.  Thanks.  

Since doing a lot of research (and buying two really good grinders for my own setup), I ended up with a side-hobby of collecting folks' takes on their grinders.  The more more people, the more impressions, the more grinders and the more different ways of using them, the better.  

Rich
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 9:27am

Just to show how relative things can be-

I have two BES900s, one at the warehouse where I roast and one at home. The one at home gets used MUCH more as that's the one I use everyday to test roasts (aka our morning and after dinner coffee). So every 6 month or so I'll switch them in an effort to keep the milage on each machine about the same, so to speak. I bought them around the same time.

So the machine I have at home now gives great shots at, or just under 30 seconds with the same pre-infusinon settings. My other machine was better at 32 seconds or a little more.

Same grinders, same cheater tamp, same water, same messy Barista. Still a difference. This is why I say you have to find your own 'god shot' on your own system. There's always a subtle difference between machines and other gear.

Perhaps one of my machines' OPV is slightly different than the other and that explains the difference. Or variations in the basket, or change in weather...

I only post this here because I believe this experience most likely applies to the 920 (or any other machine) as much as the manufacturer might like to say otherwise :)

PCR Rich
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 9:33am
Subject: Steaming milk on the 920

After using an Oscar yesterday I was impressed with the steam wand performance. It SHOULD have good steam as it has only one large HX boiler. For the small cafe it was in, this is a good machine.

This got me to thinking - the BES920 now has adjustable steam boiler temp/pressure. Has anyone tried adjusting the temp up? If so- how much improvement in steaming time have you noticed? I'm just curious, this would be good to know when it comes to recommending home machines to those who like cafe lattes or caps.

Thanx!

PCR Rich
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Breville...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.376568078995)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+