Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Breville BES920
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Breville...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 8:40am
Subject: Re: New Breville BES920

I can't speak to the consolidation part, but I can speak to consistency.

The idea is you're removing tamping as a variable, just as you removed dose as a variable by measuring it. Assuming your machine is consistent the only other variable is the grind setting. There is, of course, distribution. Which can be an issue, some obsess over it IMO. Theres a technique called the WDT (Weiss distribution technique, if I'm remembering right and spelling the name right). The funny thing is if you ever watch one of Phil McKnight's videos on the Breville site you'll see his distribution technique is very simple and quick.

I have a saying, tamp lightly and grind finer. That is, let the grinder do the work for you. 30# is just a number. If you simply lean into it a little you're probably there. Don't sweat the number just try to do it the same pressure. Everyone tamps & doses a little differently. That's why I suggest to coffee shops when I train that they keep a particular Barista on the machine for a while once everything is set for him/her.

You'll find your level, so to speak. In the mean time you're the Roaster's best friend there!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cingkrab

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:01pm

voodoo11 Said:

Ok, getting there.  This morning had a decent shot at 32g out/18g in.  When I had my silvia, I was tamping hard.  I'm curious about this "consolidation" theory as it makes sense to value consistency/level over fussing over getting to exactly 30lbs of pressure.

What is the theory behind consolidation?  Is there any other online research where I can read about this/get some basic guidelines to this "new" method?

Posted February 27, 2014 link

If you read the "Coffee Making Tips & Preparation" section of the BES920XL manual (online here Click Here (seattlecoffeegear.com) ), you'll find it says this:

Tamp down firmly (using approx.
15 20kgs of pressure). The amount
of pressure is not as important as
consistent pressure every time.

This is not really earth-shatteringly new advice I think.
 View Profile Link to this post
voodoo11

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES920XL
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario...
Drip: V60
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 3:50pm

New tamper and naked portafilter ordered.

Pulled a couple of shots today with 3 day old beans.  It's hard for me to find the point of blonding, but I attribute it to these pair of old eyes.  Hoping the naked PF will help.

Some folks DM'd me asking for pics.  If I can find out how to do this, I will post some action shots.
PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 4:05pm

Hey Voodoo- You might find this video / survey of interest. It's REALLY old (in internet terms) but valuable to this discussion.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

I really suggest reading the commentary. You'll see what what I mean when I *always* say, it's all opinion.

Use the methods that fit your personality, then determine the parameters that get what YOU like from YOUR espresso and don't sweat the rest.

Other, other Rich.
voodoo11

Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 2:36pm

Eureka.

Naked PF today, but finally dialed it in.  18g in/30g out, 27 sec blonding/cutoff.  I probably could have taken it a bit longer but started to see the cone collapse.

Smooth and buttery body, low acidity but a bit of brightness at the end.  Finally getting the hang of this.

A couple of observations one week in:

- Really wish there was a plumbed in version.  this is a minor inconvenience but i probably fill the water tank 2x a week (i know, high class problem ;)

- Still using stock tamper on a 18g VST.  Saw a slight bit of channeling but no side channeling.  Focused on even tamp but can't wait for my beefier tamper to arrive.

- The stainless steel is holding up but I find myself wiping it like crazy.

- Steam power - slow....even a bit slower than my silvia but again, a high class problem as I can pull shots and steam at the same time because of the DB.

- I need cortado glassware.  Anyone know where I can find these on the world wide web?
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 2:49pm

Im glad they opened it up for home descaling. Still not sure about its asian production or excessive use of plastic internals. But it's a big step in the right direction. The steam pressure adjustment is definitely a cool feature as well. That razor thing that they patented is a joke though, and a great example of how companies like this screw up the industry. All I can think of was this:  which has been around for years now.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Gimme! Piccolo Mondo Espresso Blend
http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 3:16pm

Good deal Voodoo. Sounds like you're getting dialed in.

Acasabia- I'm with you on the descaling, our water is pretty hard and it causes issues on everything that uses hot water. The razor had me wondering about disturbing the puck after tamping. I thought that was a no-no but then I haven't used it so who knows.
voodoo11

Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 9:02pm

total noob question but i did something a little wonky today - i took the PF past the "locked" position and it slid right past it a bit.  how much damage can/did i do to the seal?
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 4:45pm

voodoo11 Said:

total noob question but i did something a little wonky today - i took the PF past the "locked" position and it slid right past it a bit.  how much damage can/did i do to the seal?

Posted March 5, 2014 link

This is normal. As the machine gets used the gasket will form to the shape of the PF. As that occurs you will need to push it on tighter. The "locked ," arrow is essentially just there as a minimum tightness to make sure it doesnt fly off during a shot. Tighten it as much as you can, on many machines this is more than 30 degrees past "locked."

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Gimme! Piccolo Mondo Espresso Blend
http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
KatBrazier

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 5:06pm

Hi Voodoo11,

To put your mind at ease, you have not damaged the seal; it is made of silicon not rubber.
showing page 5 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Breville...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.672044992447)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+