Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Yep... I'm there! A coffee geek success story!
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Yep... I'm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 10:01am
Subject: Re: Yep... I'm there! A coffee geek success story!

Hey Dean - congrats! The one thing I've learned is that the journey never truly ends, there are just too many variables which can keep a barista on his/her toes. For example, I'd historically been trying to get a nice 2oz, 25 second shot from my Black Cat Espresso beans, and the drinks always ended up being a bit more bitter than they are at Intelligentsia. The other day, just as a trial, I decided to stop the shot at 22 seconds, coming in just a bit under 2oz. Suddenly my latte tasted nearly identical to what I order from them when I'm in Venice Beach!

Honestly, that's one of the reasons I bought a double boiler versus an HX. My style of drinking coffee is very stable - I buy one type of bean (though before I settled on Intelly I experimented with over a dozen different types). I want to dial it in, make minor changes as the bean ages (and as I get new beans), but largely have it be stable. With the V2B/Mini-E combo I feel I have a stable, repeatable, dependable set of machine variables, with Black Cat espresso I have a stable quality of bean, and so any errors are likely from me and not the machine or bean.

I know there are a lot here who have HX machines and who love to experiment with so many different beans, and that's great, but the way I'm so OCD about trying to obtain the kind of taste I want, it would drive me insane trying to pursue my personal god shot (which I know will differ from everyone else's god shot) with a constantly changing bean variable.
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 10:11am

CarloM Said:

....The other day, just as a trial, I decided to stop the shot at 22 seconds, coming in just a bit under 2oz. Suddenly my latte tasted nearly identical to what I order from them when I'm in Venice Beach!

Posted January 4, 2014 link

Funny you mention that. I keep reading about everyone that pulls 2 oz shots. I usually pull closer to 1.5 ounces and over time decided the taste was better there for me. Well, I recently spent two weeks making 2 ounce shots and trying to see if I could get a decent tasting shot. Then... on a whim, I went back to my 1.5 ounce shots and wham... tasted a lot better to me. I generally find my best taste between 28 and 34 grams net from 14 oz of coffee in about 24 to  27 seconds with the coffee I am using now (redline). I guess everyone's taste buds are different. One thing to remember is that I always add milk... so maybe that is the difference between me and some of the others.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 10:23am

In fairness to the people that suggested that your tastes might be off, you had a new machine that we assumed worked correctly.  So, what you were saying did not add up.  Please, don't take it personally, on the web we can't taste your coffee and just have to make best guesses to try to help people.  I have never noticed people decrying others for milk and sugar.  But the flavorings go by the wayside pretty fast as your espresso gets better.  

And do what you like, as I just said in another thread let your taste buds be in the driver's seat.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Yep... I'm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355600118637)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+