Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
what should i buy? thinking about rancilio silvia v3..help please :)
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > what should i...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
frankie24

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 9:49am
Subject: what should i buy? thinking about rancilio silvia v3..help please :)

Hi lads! I just signed up here because after some research on the internet i am still getting crazy.. first of all sorry to everyone if I have some mistakes while writting.. I am spanish and is quite hard for me.
Here is the problem, I have been looking for an espresso machine with a grinder for no ore than 850 , about a 1000 $. I am working as a barista with an increidible la marzocco g5 and I just want a good coffee machine to imorove my latte arts at home, drink some nice coffee and make some hot chocolates.
I found the rancilio silvia with the baratza vario for 840 at coffeeitaly.co.uk but lot of people complain about that doesn't have a the PID wich can be a problem. I also read about how hard can be to make a good coffee but I dont mind about that because I have some proffesional knowledge.
I have seen that lot of people look for an HX coffee machine but they are mkre expensive and I need a limit on my budget..
I will make some days 5 lattes and some days none because I will use for learning ( of course I will drink coffee hahaha)
What is your opinion about that?

Thanks everyone for your help
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 11:24am
Subject: Re: what should i buy? thinking about rancilio silvia v3..help please :)

frankie24 Said:

I just want a good coffee machine to improve my latte arts at home, drink some nice coffee ... Rancilio Silvia with the Baratza Vario for 840 ... doesn't have a the PID which can be a problem....how hard can be to make a good coffee but ... I have some professional knowledge.... a lot of people look for an HX coffee machine but they are more expensive and I need a limit on my budget.  I will make some days 5 lattes ... (and of course I will drink coffee).

Posted January 1, 2014 link

No matter what your budget is, and no matter how good your "professional knowledge," a Silvia cannot accurately or consistently hit the correct temperature to balance sweets and sours for a given bean; it requires long recovery between drinks, especially milk drinks (around five minutes between the second and third drink); requires a couple of minutes between pulling a shot and steaming for EVERY milk drink; and is an extremely slow steamer -- so slow that the milk loses its sweetness during the process.  

If you want to practice making espresso, temping is an essential skill -- perhaps THE essential skill.  While a PID would help with temperature management, it cannot make the Silvia fast enough between shots, or make it an adequate steamer.  A Silvia might be a good choice for some people, but is not nearly capable of doing what you need.  

Sorry to be so negative, but it's better to know than to waste money on something which can't do what you want.

A lot of cafes, bars and restaurants closed as a result of the way "austerity" was imposed on the Spanish economy.  There should be a lot of professional quality used equipment available, and that might be the best way to satisfy your needs and budget.        

Muy buena suerte,
BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frankie24

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 11:57am
Subject: Re: what should i buy? thinking about rancilio silvia v3..help please :)

Thanks for your answer! I am not sad, as you said is good to know something about that before you spend the money.. I am living in Dublin now and I have never been really confident about second hand equipment because you never know how is inside or what they did before with it... any dea about brand new for my needes?

Thanks again ;)
ilcaffedio

Espresso: Astra G.A.
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 12:06pm

frankie24 Said:

Thanks for your answer! I am not sad, as you said is good to know something about that before you spend the money.. I am living in Dublin now and I have never been really confident about second hand equipment because you never know how is inside or what they did before with it... any dea about brand new for my needes?

Thanks again ;)

Since you're in the UK, this thread might be helpful.
cafeparts
cafeparts

Espresso: Cimbali Junior
Grinder: Fiorenzato T80
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 1:02pm

If you are used to a GS3, I won't go near consumer products, you will  be disappointed.
Try to buy and/or restore a small commercial machine like a Faema Compact or Cimbali Junior.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 1:52pm

5 lattes on a Silva, you'll want to bang your head on the wall between temp surfing and waiting lol. It's out of date and overpriced, the Vario is an incredible espresso grinder for the money though. I'd try to find a used nice machine, you should have no problem finding a used h/x in the UK. As an example I don't know if the CC1 is available there but for 40 bucks more here your getting a large boiler for this class, full PID control of everything from temp to preinfusion, and a separate thermo block for steaming that allows you to switch from brew to steam fast.

I'd still look for a used h/x, and stick with the Vario... Unless you can score a cheap deal on say a Super Jolley or similar.
JPF

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 4:48pm

If you want to improve your latte art skills on a budget, pick up a Bellman stovetop steamer.

You could get a Vario and a La Peppina and make great espresso on your budget.

My 2

Living the caffeinated life.
frankie24

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 4:48pm

Noop.. i tried to find the cc1 but is impossible in europe.. what about the isomac venus? Boiler is bigger and is coming with gauge.. could be a better option than the silvia?
Cheers ;)
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 5:16pm

frankie24 Said:

What about the Isomac Venus? Boiler is bigger and is coming with gauge.. could be a better option than the silvia?

No SBDU will do what you want, and neither will a hybrid.  If you want to practice professional level latte skills, you need a fast steaming HX or DB.  Anything longer than 30 seconds to steam 100ml of milk is too long.  I'm not saying you can't make milk you can pour into a pattern, but it won't taste or pour like milk which is steamed in less than 10 seconds.  

Similarly, if you want to make decent coffee you need a machine which can be temped conveniently, accurately and consistently.  You're not going to learn much about dialing in trying to do it with a machine which will almost always be wrong no matter what you do.

No SBDU on the market is capable of making more than two lattes in less than about 10 minutes.  Try that at work and learn something about the finer points of profanity as practiced in Ireland.  

The only thing SBDUs like the Silvia and Venus have in common with the GB/5 you're using at work  is the word "espresso."  

BDL
marosmith
marosmith
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia V2
Grinder: NS MCF, Baratza Encore
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 11:09pm

boar_d_laze Said:

No SBDU will do what you want, and neither will a hybrid.  If you want to practice professional level latte skills, you need a fast steaming HX or DB.  Anything longer than 30 seconds to steam 100ml of milk is too long.  I'm not saying you can't make milk you can pour into a pattern, but it won't taste or pour like milk which is steamed in less than 10 seconds.  

Similarly, if you want to make decent coffee you need a machine which can be temped conveniently, accurately and consistently.  You're not going to learn much about dialing in trying to do it with a machine which will almost always be wrong no matter what you do.

No SBDU on the market is capable of making more than two lattes in less than about 10 minutes.  Try that at work and learn something about the finer points of profanity as practiced in Ireland.  

The only thing SBDUs like the Silvia and Venus have in common with the GB/5 you're using at work  is the word "espresso."  

BDL

LOL
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > what should i...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.452913999557)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+