Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Entry level Gaggia
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Entry level...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MikePriz

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 12:21am
Subject: Entry level Gaggia

Looking for some espresso machine advice.

I'm saving up for a grinder, so in the meantime I've purchased a hand grinder for espresso, but want to buy am espresso machine right now.

I've narrowed my choice to a few entry level gaggia machines. My budget is only $200
So it's between the gaggia pure/color OR a refurbished new baby.

I know the new baby is a superior machine, but afraid of a refurbished unit. Do the 3 way valve and stronger boiler make a noticeable difference?

I'll be making espresso and milk based drinks 99% of the time just for me once or twice a day.
 View Profile Link to this post
Mrboots2u
Mrboots2u
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium 1
Grinder: Eureka mythos
Roaster: All over the place
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 6:17am
Subject: Re: Entry level Gaggia

Hi , I'd go for a gaggia classic in that range. The 3 way valve will make your pucks clean and dry to knockout.
The classic can re fitted with a silvia steam wand to help with steam power and better texturing.
In the uk amazon warehouse do deals on the classics as low as 120 sometimes .
If you can get a reconditioned pre Phillips gaggia classic eve better . These are built to last if looked after correctly and scale buildup is kept to a minimum.
IntrepidQ3

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Syphon
Roaster: Hottop+TC4C
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 8:19am

If you can find a used/referb Gaggia Classic I would go for that. If you can't extend your funds go for the Baby and save the money for a better grinder.

The 3 way valve will, as stated already, dry out your puck making disposal easier. At the same time it releases the built up pressure from pulling the shot so you can take off the portafiliter right away. Otherwise you need to wait a little for the pressure to go down, if you do not you get what's called a 'portafilter sneeze'. The 3 way valve also allows for backflushing. This is extremely helpful in keeping the internals of the group clean.

I am not positive how the two boilers compare to each other in size and power. In general a stronger boiler will make a noticeable difference in wait time between shots and steaming capability.

I have two links that might be helpful for you:

This one discusses the question your asking and has good answers: http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/558251

This one is a group dedicated to Gaggia machines: www.gaggiausersgroup.com
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 10:21am

If you can get a reconditioned pre Phillips Gaggia Classic even better .

Just for the record, the Classic itself has remained unchanged through the sale of Gaggia to Saeco (1999) and the sale of that company to Philips (2009).  Any Classic is a good Classic.
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 3:49pm

I got a used classic for $150 it it was in great condition
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 3:52pm

Someone over at H-B just got one for $45.00.
randyhogue

Posted Tue Aug 19, 2014, 12:43pm

MikePriz Said:

Looking for some espresso machine advice.

I'm saving up for a grinder, so in the meantime I've purchased a hand grinder for espresso, but want to buy am espresso machine right now.

I've narrowed my choice to a few entry level gaggia machines. My budget is only $200
So it's between the gaggia pure/color OR a refurbished new baby.

I know the new baby is a superior machine, but afraid of a refurbished unit. Do the 3 way valve and stronger boiler make a noticeable difference?

I'll be making espresso and milk based drinks 99% of the time just for me once or twice a day.

Posted January 1, 2014 link

I have a Gaggia Classic listed on  this site for $250 including accessories if you're interested.

Randy
Fred1

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Wed Aug 20, 2014, 9:32am

Don't worry about a refurbished machine from a reputable deqler ike WLL.

The 3 way valve makes things easier, but any of the Gaggia machines you mentioned will do the job  All are capable of producing a great shot.  You will need to learn how to temp surf and practice a lot.

Good luck,

Fred
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Entry level...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319305896759)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+