Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Where to buy, and other general advice
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Where to buy,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
hamiltont

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 1:42pm
Subject: Where to buy, and other general advice

Hello all,

I'm looking at my first grinder+espresso machine purchase, and I've done a lot of reading, but I haven't planned where to buy from. I'm definitely not comfortable buying used items yet, perhaps after I've owned one machine and I know what I'm getting and won't care to return it. I'm always pretty cautious with big spending and love a flexible return policy. Amazon is always an option, the return policy is 30 days from the arrival date and you pay return shipping. I have a deal from seattlecoffeegear for CC1+Baratza Vario for $900, but their return policy is 30 days from ship date and you pay both delivery and return shipping plus the cost of any included "free gift" consumables. Does anyone know a retailer with a good return policy?  

It may help to know what I'm planning to buy - I'm interested in 1-2 drinks per day in a standard apartment (no water attachment, standard US voltage), and I typically enjoy macchiato, cappuccino, and latte. My budget is between $500-1K, and after tons of reading it seems like the Silva or the CC1 would be the best options for machines, with the Gaggia 14101 Classic being the lower-end. I'm very attracted to the digital features (timer, PID, etc) of the CC1 as I feel that would allow me to experiment and remember what works. For the grinder I see a low end option in the Gaggia 8002 with doser (I can live with the doser), and then multiple Baratza options (from lower-end virtuoso to middle range preciso to high end vario). I'm currently leaning towards combining a CC1 with a Baratza Preciso.

Thank you all for this resource - it's a huge help when getting started. The only coffee I enjoy is about 20 minutes away, minus some of my home-done stuff (I enjoy a nice Turkish coffee) so I'm pretty excited about my holiday self-gift!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 2:25pm
Subject: Re: Where to buy, and other general advice

Welcome to the board!

It sounds like you have been through the spin dry cycle a few times :D As soon as your eyes stop rolling in circles, read this.

Ready?.

OK, you have arrived at a very good combo of price and value. The CC1 and the Preciso are pretty well mated to each other. The Sylvia is over priced when NEW but it is still a good value when used if you get a deal. The electronics are what help set the CC1 above and beyond the Sylvia. To that, the CC1 is a hybred while the Sylvia is a SBDU. There is nothing wrong with that and when she was top o the heap, that is all there was but Sylvia really needs a PID as all SBDU machines do. The CC1 also has a thermoblock for steaming. While you can not steam and pull shots at the same time like a HX or DB can, you can do one right after the other as you are not resetting the temp of the boiler for steaming, the thermoblock does the steaming while the PID keeps the boiler constant, which is vital to your shots.

This will allow you to make your milk drinks much faster than ANY SBDU machine will and for low volume, small spaces, the CC1 is hard to beat.

The customer service at SCG is really second to none as all the advertisers here are, they all care about you and getting you the correct product for your use. Provided, you WANT to get into espresso and are ready to spend the money required to start at a reasonable level, like you are, there really will be no need for a return at all anyway. You have made good choices and they are a very good merchant.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hamiltont

Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 3:04pm

Good to know I'm in the right section of the store! :-) Would you say that the $900 deal is overpriced for the seattlecoffeegear deal? And or are there retailers that people generally buy from here? I'd like to make the purchase sooner so I can start trying coffee, but logistics is a necessary unfun step :-/
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 4:13pm

hamiltont Said:

Good to know I'm in the right section of the store! :-) Would you say that the $900 deal is overpriced for the seattlecoffeegear deal?

Posted December 26, 2013 link

If I'm not mistaken, $995 is SCG's actual price.  That's a little less than 20% off a very competitive retail, and an unbelievably good deal.  You can't find a better value in entry-into-high-end-level espresso equipment.  

The combination itself is about as little as you can spend and still get meaningful control over temp and grind along with high-tech user friendliness.  Spend a little less, get a LOT less.

And or are there retailers that people generally buy from here?

Yes.  But none of them is offering as good deal on an entry level setup as SCG's CC1 + Vario Package.  If you've decided on that particular combination (good decision, btw) SCG is the way to go.  

If you've decided on a different machine (some other good choices include: Bezzera BZ-07; Breville BES900XL Double Boiler; Faema Carisma; Nuova Simonelli Oscar; QM Alexia; QM Silvano, etc., etc.) we can start talking other dealers.

I'd like to make the purchase sooner so I can start trying coffee, but logistics is a necessary unfun step :-/

Makes sense.

Good luck,
BDL
hamiltont

Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 4:16pm

boar_d_laze Said:

If I'm not mistaken, $995 is SCG's actual price.  That's a little less than 20% off a very competitive retail, and an unbelievably good deal.  You can't find a better value in entry-into-high-end-level espresso equipment.  

I just signed up, and their 10% off coupon is valid for this purchase
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 4:30pm

hamiltont Said:

I just signed up, and their 10% off coupon is valid for this purchase

Ah hah!

BDL
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 4:49pm

calblacksmith Said:

OK, you have arrived at a very good combo of price and value. The CC1 and the Preciso are pretty well mated to each other. The Sylvia is over priced when NEW but it is still a good value when used if you get a deal. The electronics are what help set the CC1 above and beyond the Sylvia. To that, the CC1 is a hybred while the Sylvia is a SBDU. There is nothing wrong with that and when she was top o the heap, that is all there was but Sylvia really needs a PID as all SBDU machines do. The CC1 also has a thermoblock for steaming. While you can not steam and pull shots at the same time like a HX or DB can, you can do one right after the other as you are not resetting the temp of the boiler for steaming, the thermoblock does the steaming while the PID keeps the boiler constant, which is vital to your shots.

That CC1 / Vario deal, minus an additional 10% seems like one heck of a deal... OP - am I hearing you right, you got this package for $900 after 10% MORE off?  If so, wow... that package is $1200 retails.

Cali - just curious how you stack up the CC1 vs the Silvano - the Silvano is almost $300 more retail...  if the CC1 / Silvano were the same price, which would you buy (I think I know your answer - just checking).  Then, do you think the Silvano is worth $300 more retail - if money were not an issue and you wanted the best quality, would it be the Silvano?
LauraH

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 5:44pm

I purchased my gear from Sealltle Coffee gear and could not be happier. My stuff had to travel a VERY long distance (over 3500 miles) and it all arrived perfectly. Everything from their informative videos, customer service before my purchase of deciding which equipment was best for me, needs for packing for shipping, pricing, and customer service AFTER the sale, makes them top in my book.  There seem to be several good companies in the US but SCG were the ones that earned my business hands down and I would return to them for other purchases in a heart beat.  Good choices in your equipment and it sounds like you will be happy with whom you purchase from as well. Enjoy!
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 6:27pm

As an owner of a CC1 and Preciso, $900 is an steal for that combo. Go Vario, I like my Preciso, but the Vario is a much better espresso grinder. Easily tell a difference in the cup.
hamiltont

Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 10:34am

Just clicked buy, very excited to start!!

hamiltont: Screen Shot 2013-12-27 at 1.39.08 PM.png
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Where to buy,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.495934963226)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+