Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What to save up for?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What to save up...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 5:46pm
Subject: Re: What to save up for?

russel Said:

I'm personally a big fan on the boiler heated group design.

Posted December 26, 2013 link

Me too.

It's not as sexy as a thermo-siphon, really not as sexy as an E61, and doesn't allow more "advanced" temperature manipulation.  It does however greatly simply the internal construction of the machine, and uses brut force (boiler heat) to establish a sort of operational consistency that you have no choice but to accept.  This sounds harsh or limiting, but when starting out less choice can easily mean less variance, which is a good thing.  I've owned a couple of Livia 90s (Bezzera BZ99) and several Olympia Maximatics/Pasquini Liviettas, and have been very happy with their performance; and even happier with their build quality.

I owned both a Livietta and an old Livia 90, too.  Liked them both a great deal, and thought they both were great.  

It's not easy to manipulate the shot temp of a boiler heated group quickly and consistently, so if you're looking for a tool to use to explore different beans and roasts you should probably look elsewhere.

Some disagreement here.  I didn't find either Pasquini (one actually made by Olympia, the other by Bezzera) difficult to temp.  The 90 especially made it easy to "shape the hump" on the Livia 90 using "overshoot and wait" technique.  E-61s are more "stable," but because of that wont jump through hoops quite as easily.    

My current machine, a La Cimbali M21 Casa is also a direct connect; but it's not a dragon, it's an "agnositc," and is quite easy to temp.

If you want to dial in a not-lightly-roasted bean that you know you like and consistently pull the same shot day in and day out for long periods of time, a domestic boiler heated group is a really good option, and usually a good short term and long term value.

Back to complete agreement.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 12:08pm
Subject: Re: What to save up for?

stovemade14 Said:

I just bought a Breville Smart Grinder. This seems good enough for me (if not, feel free to rack my brain with reasons to upgrade).

Posted December 23, 2013 link

The grinder always matters more.  Don't leave the grinder as an afterthought.  If you're going to stretch your budget on anything then do so on the grinder.  If you're budgeting $1000 for your machine then allocate at least $500 for the grinder -- if not more.

I'd second the suggestion for the CC1/Vario combo.  It's right at your budget and a well-paired combo.  If you stick with espresso in the long run you'll probably want to upgrade as it's a single boiler with thermoblock and not HX or DB but it will easily beat the Smart Grinder paired with any espresso machine at any price point.  Return the Smart Grinder and you'll have some cash for the accessories.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What to save up...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.335412979126)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+