Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio Silvia Alternatives?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
thepilgrimsdream

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 10:37pm
Subject: Rancilio Silvia Alternatives?

I've seen similar threads, but they seem to be about 6 years old and im sure the market has changed a bit with new products etc. Anyway, I'm in the market for a good home espresso machine. I would most likely be using a Mazzer Super Jolly as my grinder. I'd like to keep it under $1000

I'm looking for something that will last me quite a few years. It would be used for about 2 shots a day (or 30+ on holidays or when having parties).

I also want a machine capable of great microfoam for latte art.

The silvia seems to be the most popular machine in this price range, but is there anything I should be looking into?
 View Profile Link to this post
marosmith
marosmith

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia V2
Grinder: NS MCF, Baratza Encore
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 10:39pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia Alternatives?

thepilgrimsdream Said:

I've seen similar threads, but they seem to be about 6 years old and im sure the market has changed a bit with new products etc. Anyway, I'm in the market for a good home espresso machine. I would most likely be using a Mazzer Super Jolly as my grinder. I'd like to keep it under $1000

I'm looking for something that will last me quite a few years. It would be used for about 2 shots a day (or 30+ on holidays or when having parties).

I also want a machine capable of great microfoam for latte art.

The silvia seems to be the most popular machine in this price range, but is there anything I should be looking into?

Posted December 23, 2013 link

I got a used silvia for $300. I think $700 is way overpriced for these, $300 used is about right.

You can get a refurb breville dual boiler for $700+

The gaggia Classic is another silvia-ish option but cheaper.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 10:59pm

Seriously look into the CC1, IMHO, better than the Sylvia, more flexible in use and costs less too.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dwRK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 11:30pm

...parties and latte art on the cheaper side...IMHO sounds like an Oscar

I've a gaggia classic...it's painfully slow for milk drinks...that's just making 2 cappas in the morning...

I would go for good condition used ns mdx and Oscar...they should come in below $1k total

hope this helps
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 11:37pm

No doubt Oscar is a good starter HX machine, I owned one and can attest to that.
I was staying in his budget for NEW equipment and the CC1 offers rapid steaming (but not at the same time) PID control, and other advanced features.

SJs are great grinders too, no doubt. I prefer the adjustment system on the MDX and it often can be found for less than a SJ while offering as good of a solid machine build quality and grind quality. The OP said that they WOULD be using the SJ, I took it that they already had it.

EDIT: After ReReading the post, it is clear that he did not have the grinder yet. There is no way for a NEW SJ and a NEW Sylvia under $1K so the SJ must be used and likely the the Sylvia too.

If you CAN find Oscar, it is a good value at an average sale price of around $500 but be prepared to do a little work on it.
While the MDX IS less expensive, there are less of them floating around too. However pretty much ANY stepless commercial grinder is going to be a good deal whatever the OP can find, mostly just a new set of burrs and away you go.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dwRK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 9:03am

Well...combo of new & old does go under $1k...guess will wait for OP to clarify.
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 11:09am

thepilgrimsdream Said:

I would most likely be using a Mazzer Super Jolly as my grinder. I'd like to keep it under $1000

Posted December 23, 2013 link

Question - the above quote means you already have a Super Jolly, or plan on getting one - THEN you want to spend $1000 on a machine??  Please Clarify.
thepilgrimsdream

Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 7:18pm

Sorry, I'm picking up a used super jolly this weekend, but I'm budgeting $1000 for an espresso machine. I'll probably watch the market and wait for about a month. I prefer used if I can get higher quality for less
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 6:50am

thepilgrimsdream Said:

Sorry, I'm picking up a used super jolly this weekend, but I'm budgeting $1000 for an espresso machine. I'll probably watch the market and wait for about a month. I prefer used if I can get higher quality for less

Posted December 24, 2013 link

Congrats on the SJ! :)  I can back up that the Silvia can handle your 2 shots a day and 30+ on weekends.  If your just pulling shots it will just spit them out until your reservoir runs dry.  But if your willing to spend $1000 you can probably find a good used 1 group commercial machine.  I picked up a 2 group that needed some work for $700 (capable of 250 shots /hr)

1st Line has a used V2 Silvia for $389
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 1:06pm

Burner0000 Said:

Congrats on the SJ! :)  I can back up that the Silvia can handle your 2 shots a day and 30+ on weekends.  If your just pulling shots it will just spit them out until your reservoir runs dry.  But if your willing to spend $1000 you can probably find a good used 1 group commercial machine.  I picked up a 2 group that needed some work for $700 (capable of 250 shots /hr)

1st Line has a used V2 Silvia for $389

Posted December 25, 2013 link

I don't know Burner about a Silvia considering, and probably why you recommended the commercial option... here is my analysis:

- OP states there will be occasions / parties / holidays  where 30+ shots - but does not say how often said parties happen - once a month? year?  But even *one* of those parties, and serving 30+ guests with a Silvia will be an unforgettable experience!  
- OP wants to be "...capable of great microfoam for latte art."  This would make me tend towards a strong steamer, with a larger boiler, and one hopefully with dry steam.  Therefore, I would not be recommending any thermoblocks, and most SBDU's have smaller boilers, and are not strong steamers.  Sure, we can make a case there are some - but again, see bullet one above - what about the microfoam / art combined with a party.
- OP has a Super Jolly grinder... sure there are better, but 64mm burrs, and a pretty decent grind.... you could / should couple that with more machine.

This is one case where I would say IMHO -  and only because of your latte art and 30+ party requirements - that you need to increase your budget, think about an Hx or a DB.  You could also think of a used Hx in the $1000-$1250 range, or a new Oscar (though not my favorite machine without Hot Water spigot), etc

I just think with your requirements and grinder you need more machine than a Silvia - even one party of 30 people and you will wish you had a whole lot more machine.

IMHO.  YMMV. ;-)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.491931915283)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+