Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Leaking Gaggia Coffee Deluxe
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Leaking Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Sat Dec 21, 2013, 5:01pm
Subject: Re: Leaking Gaggia Coffee Deluxe

voy108 Said:

Hi SJM:
Thank you for the link. I noticed the two steam valves...one with and one without the port for the self-priming valve. I thought the self priming was a GOOD thing. Why would you want to disable it? Maybe point me to the discussions regarding that. For some reason when I do a search it will bomb out so I end up having to go through literally 100's of posts. Good reading but sometimes not pertinent.  Today my task is to find a tamper. I knew the plastic one would not work so I'm going to check a couple of restaurant supplies just to see if there is a local one with a 58mm flat one. Kinda like good luck, huh. I have a couple that I'm "watching" on Ebay and I can always turn to Amazon but it would be nice to walk out with one and use it today. ;-)
Thanks for the post.
Merry Christmas
Doug

Posted December 21, 2013 link

As Fred said, the SPV is problematic.  It's a Gaggia improvement that really was not.  They fail and cause trouble.  The first mod we at the Gaggia Users Group always suggest to new owners of machines with SPVs is that they disable them.

Here is a bit more on the subject:
Click Here (www.gaggiausersgroup.com)

Since you may be replacing your valve anyway, you can just skip the mod and replace the valve with one that doesn't have the SPV.  

The Classic (the best Gaggia there is) does NOT have an SPV.

Here's an excellent tamper, by the way
Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
SJM

Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 8:37am

I was thinking more about your question about the SPV valve, and I have another place for you to read about it.
First let me explain that the Gaggia Users Group was on Yahoo for 7 years and there is a huge archive of information there that has not migrated from the old to the new site.  We had many more members with older Gaggias like yours and there is lot to be learned there about how the SPV valve fails,etc.   One of the reasons we left the Yahoo platform is that you have to "join" the group to read the troves of information there, but....it is still a valuable archive to search, especially if you have an older Gaggia.

If you go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gaggia/

and sign up/in, and do a search on SPV,  you will probably find more than you want to know, but less has accumulated at our new site about the machines that preceded the Classic.  Just another resource for you if you are interested.

Susan
voy108

Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 3:46pm

Thanks Susan:
Well, dummy me...I didn't think of Sweet Marias and picked up a tamper on Ebay...a Rattleware 58mm so it could be here by next Friday. I should have thought of SM because they are responsible for my getting into roasting. I've been doing that for about 16yrs now. I usually roast a pound each time...small roaster so 4 batches each time. In fact, I just did my first shot with my beans and the Gaggia today. I roast just into the 2nd crack and sometimes I get oily but not much.  Like many others I associate "dark, oily" roasted beans as espresso but really, it's any roast you want to use. Right now I'm doing Guatemala roast and not bad. I had about a 1/4" crema and tamped it with the basket out of the portafilter. Last night I choked it but I over tamped it but since it went into an Americano, I didn't pitch it. That was with some dark roasted Sumatra I picked up at Winco(west coast market chain) from their bulk section.
I went on to Yahoo but as usual, used what I have recorded as my ID & pass code & bombed so tried for about 20 minutes and got frustrated so gave up. I'm not a yahoo person so....  Also, I couldn't set up a new  account so I quite.  Maybe try later when I may have more patience.
I may not replace the SPV until next month"s check or Feb. I'm surviving on my SS income and it isn't much so have to save in advance. I can live with it for now and hope that I can get a decent grinder first.My Infinity is not cuttin' it.  Baratza has been recommended but I may have to wait for $$$$ or if my Infinity works for now I may go for the SPV first and save for grinder later.
All of the recommendations from here have been excellent. I'm learning sooo much and loving it.

Doug
SJM

Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 5:17pm

voy108 Said:

Thanks Susan:
Well, dummy me...I didn't think of Sweet Marias and picked up a tamper on Ebay...a Rattleware 58mm so it could be here by next Friday. I should have thought of SM because they are responsible for my getting into roasting. I've been doing that for about 16yrs now. I usually roast a pound each time...small roaster so 4 batches each time. In fact, I just did my first shot with my beans and the Gaggia today. I roast just into the 2nd crack and sometimes I get oily but not much.  Like many others I associate "dark, oily" roasted beans as espresso but really, it's any roast you want to use. Right now I'm doing Guatemala roast and not bad. I had about a 1/4" crema and tamped it with the basket out of the portafilter. Last night I choked it but I over tamped it but since it went into an Americano, I didn't pitch it. That was with some dark roasted Sumatra I picked up at Winco(west coast market chain) from their bulk section.
I went on to Yahoo but as usual, used what I have recorded as my ID & pass code & bombed so tried for about 20 minutes and got frustrated so gave up. I'm not a yahoo person so....  Also, I couldn't set up a new  account so I quite.  Maybe try later when I may have more patience.
I may not replace the SPV until next month"s check or Feb. I'm surviving on my SS income and it isn't much so have to save in advance. I can live with it for now and hope that I can get a decent grinder first.My Infinity is not cuttin' it.  Baratza has been recommended but I may have to wait for $$$$ or if my Infinity works for now I may go for the SPV first and save for grinder later.
All of the recommendations from here have been excellent. I'm learning sooo much and loving it.

Doug

Posted December 22, 2013 link

Don't worry about the SPV fix if you aren't having trouble with it.
Start saving for a good grinder asap.  The Infinity definitely won't cut the mustard.

I recommend the Cunill Tranquilo
http://sovranastore.com/esgrin.html

If you can tolerate manual, you can look at the OE Pharos (but not until January as OE is closed)
If you can tolerate used, I look for a commercial grinder on eBay and just factor in the cost of new burrs.
If you have to have a Baratza someone who likes them will have to help you.
voy108

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 10:49am

Happy New Year Susan

Thank you for the recommendation. I have such a limited budget that it would have been forever before I could save up the extra $$$ to get that one even as a refurb....so I went with what I could afford right now to at least get a replacement for the Infinity. I have watched reviews on the Breville Smart Grinder for quite a while now and watched a review by Seattle Coffee Gear that lead me to go with it. As I was considering it they came up with a limited supply of refurbs and I ordered one. Regular price of $199.99 for 119.99 which I mentally could justify. I finally got it last Thursday and am happy so far b/c I use a variety of coffee makers. My own beans in a Keurig( OK for early morning while I wake up), next is a better cup with an Aeropress. Afternoon is reserved for the espressos, lattes, and capps b/c I think I'm functioning by then ;-)

I just replaced the group gasket on the Gaggia but I guess they sent the wrong one. Thinner then one I took out...probably 8mm vs 8.5mm so have email to them on that. Now have the old one back in which works OK. I was making a latte the other day and had major steam escape so thanks to this forum I pulled the pressure relief in the middle of the group head assembly and I think that fixed it. There was a little bit of build up on top of the rubber check valve so cleaned that off and I will see how things go with the next one.

Right now I'm going through the forum regarding their experiences with roasting and since I now live in a mobile home, how extension cords affect the roast temps. That is my project for this afternoon. You're never too old to learn esp. from others' experiences.

Doug
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Leaking Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324058055878)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+