Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
ECM Giotto -steam wand loose/leaking (help me find o-ring!)
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM Giotto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
whitehawk

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto Classic, NS Appia
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 5:57pm
Subject: ECM Giotto -steam wand loose/leaking (help me find o-ring!)

My steam wand is loose and it leaks (when valve is open only) where the steam wand connects to the front plate of the machine.  I took it off and can not find a part that appears to be damaged.  The steam wand wiggles easily (the water tap does not).  I tried switching the spring and viton gasket from the water tap with the steam wand ones, the steam side still leaks and the water side does not.  Anyone have a thought on what to do next?  I have descaled recently...

-Josh
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 7:16pm
Subject: Re: ECM Giotto - steam wand loose and leaking

The knobs that you turn are connected to the ends of the valve shafts. You say it leaks when the steam valve is open, do you mean that steam is coming up the shaft and out behind the knob?
Or, on newer machines, the whole valve is forward of the front wall of the machine and the wand is a ball and socket type joint, swinging in all directions as well as pivotting.  In these, the wand will often loosen from the ball-joint and leak at that thread.

If it's the old ECM Giotto where it only swings left and right, parallel to the face of the machine, you'd need to replace the brown o-ring hidden in the nut that holds the wand to the front of the machine.

If it's just a loose ball and socket, hold the little 6 or 8 mm flats on the top "Ball" part of the wand and turn the wand clockwise from below to tighten it.

If I don't make sense, can you take a photo and draw an arrow where the steam comes out?   I am only familiar with two eras of Giotto.
whitehawk

Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 7:46pm

It is the older style of giotto.  The steam does not come out behind the knob but rather at the "base" of where the wand attaches to the front plate.  I'm assuming I need to replace the brown o-ring you mentioned, but I haven't found it yet =D

whitehawk: ecm3.jpg

-Josh
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu Dec 19, 2013, 8:16pm

Yes. Hold the bulkhead fitting so that it doesn't turn in the front wall of the machine, and you can unscrew that chromed nut that the steamwand pivots in.  You'll see the o-ring as soon as you have it open. If your wand no longer stays where you point it, and sags due to gravity, replace the teflon gasket that provides a bit of friction on it, as well.  You'll see what I mean when you open it.
Used appropriate sized wrenches or good adjustables. Don't use pliers or you'll make the chrome ugly. The brass underneath is softer than the chrome.
whitehawk

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 12:32pm

Thank you very much!  Do you by any chance have links to where I can buy those replacement parts?

-Josh
whitehawk

Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 11:14am
Subject: ECM Giotto - steam wand loose/leaking (help me find o-ring)

Alright - I've given it a good shot and for the life of me cannot find this o-ring online.  I think I found the part number for it (?c449900786), but does anyone know where it or a suitable alternative can be bought?

-Josh
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM Giotto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.347003936768)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+