Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Expobar Brewtus IV Low Water Shut Off Question
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Expobar Brewtus...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tomn68

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 9:59am
Subject: Expobar Brewtus IV Low Water Shut Off Question

I've had the Expobar Brewtus IV with Vibration Pump for over a year now.  It's great but if while making coffee the water resevour is low and the safety option clicks in to stop the boilers/heating mechanisms...  it won't turn back on once you fill it back up.  Usually I can flip power switches on and off and then it will start.  Other times it just won't reheat.  The red light won't turn back on for the boiler and the presssure for steam never comes back up.  When this happens we just dump our coffee, shut down the machine for a hour and try again later.

Any ideas?  Is there a procedure for when the safety clicks in to restart the machine?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 1:15pm
Subject: Re: Expobar Brewtus IV Low Water Shut Off Question

OK, I will pick the low hanging fruit,
Don't let the water run out! Check it before each session and fill as needed.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tomn68

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 1:27pm

Thanks.  Can you now pick some fruit that is a little higher up.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 1:36pm

Sorry, it was too easy.

Really though that is the best answer. I did own an Oscar with the same shut off feature, sometimes in the middle of a shot and I know it can be frustrating, so I DID learn to check often. Oscar was good about returning to work when the water was replaced though.

I have operated machines with an interlock that would not allow brewing until the boiler reached temp, my current machine a La Cimballi M32 is that way. If the power is turned off after it was warm (not unlike turning off by the low water in your machine) even though the machine may have been on for hours, it requires that the Pstat clicks off, thus telling the computer that the machine is at temp. This means that the machine must cool enough for the Pstat to call for heat and only when the Pstat  turns off when the Pstat hits pressure, will the machine allow you to pull a shot.

I have never owned or operated that specific machine but there are some here who do have it, it may take a little while before being seen by them though as this is a BBS and members come and go as they will. I suspect that your issue may be similar though.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
tomn68

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 2:47pm

Thanks for the response.  

It's not often that we let the water get to low but it happens.  When it does though, we just can't figure out how to get it going again. Like you said maybe it needs to hit some minimum temp before it will click back on.  I can watch it drop into the low one hundreds (for steam) w/o it turning back on.  Usually at that point, I've already shut it off and turn it back on in a couple of hours (needing to get back to work:)

Next time I'll leave it on to see if it hits a certain temp before it overrides the safety feature.
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 8:51am

Does yours have the plumb option? If so, run a tube into a 5gal Poland spring under your counter. problem solved... just make sure you check it once a month or so.
If not..
My brewtus turns back on and is fully functional when I refill the tank, if yours isn't doing this I imagine there may be an issue. One solution may be that if that machine turns itself of, before you refill, cut the power. Then after you refill turn it back on. This way the machine runs like a normal start-up.

Still, this shouldn't be an issue, I would open the back and pop out the sensor platform. There may be something blocking it on the bottom.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
tomn68

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:39am

Can't plumb it unfortunately.

When my tank runs out, the machine doesn't 'shut off' but it does go into that safety mode where it will stop you from pulling and the wand/steamer will stop heating...  when I refill, it doesn't want to start back up again.  Seems like it will only start back up if I turn it off for some time and start it back up.  Pulling power doesn't seem to help.

I'll take a look at the sensor as suggested. If I can find it:)

Thanks
acasabia
acasabia

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 3:11pm

tomn68 Said:

Can't plumb it unfortunately.
I'll take a look at the sensor as suggested. If I can find it:)

Thanks

Posted December 13, 2013 link

take out the water tank, remove the back of the machine. Where the tank sits you'll notice the floor of the compartment is on a hinge. Remove it and see that nothing is blocking the button or spring below it.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:

Cold Brewing:

tomn68

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 3:34pm

Hey thanks acasabia

I'll give that a try. Cafe Grumpy? I'm right around the corner from your 18th St shop.

Thanks

Tom
acasabia
acasabia

Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 12:01pm

tomn68 Said:

Hey thanks acasabia

I'll give that a try. Cafe Grumpy? I'm right around the corner from your 18th St shop.

Thanks

Tom

Posted December 14, 2013 link

lol, I dont work there, I just pick up from them, usually from their LES bakery (worth the trek for the fresher macarons). Though I did just get some southpaw from PT's Im pretty happy with, café Grumpy's heartbreaker is still my favorite.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:

Cold Brewing:

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Expobar Brewtus...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.375164031982)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+