Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
LaSpaziale Dream T observations and questions
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > LaSpaziale Dream...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
sharky
sharky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:22pm
Subject: Re: LaSpaziale Dream T observations and questions

Pantea, with all your issues on a $2000 machine, I would be packing it up, getting a return authorization # from CCS, and shipping it back to him for a full refund!  Done deal . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
Pantea
Pantea

Espresso: LaSpaziale Dream T; Breville...
Grinder: Baratza Vario & Preciso
Drip: Bonavita
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 2:27pm

CSME9 Said:

Pantea, Did this issue get resolved ?

Posted December 29, 2013 link

Sorry for the delay in updating.

Although I have the replacement interface board, I held off on installing it as I was monitoring the intermittent loss of shot-pressure issue.  I was less confident that I could troubleshoot that problem from home, and if I had to send it back, I wouldn't even bother replacing the interface board.  

After conferring with Tim at CC and sending him a video demonstrating the mid-shot pressure loss, he believes that problem is also caused by  the faulty interface board.  

I know I keep saying this, but I will update again for sure this weekend after I've replaced the interface board.
Pantea
Pantea

Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 2:36pm

sharky Said:

Pantea, with all your issues on a $2000 machine, I would be packing it up, getting a return authorization # from CCS, and shipping it back to him for a full refund!  Done deal . . .

Sigh.... I hear you.  I'm experiencing horror flashbacks to my first big espresso machine investment many years ago.  The Isomac Zaffiro was an endless series of problems, adjustments, replacements, odd and unreliable behavior from the start.  I picked the La Spaziale (forgoing my first choice Rocket R58 only because of my bad experience with the other e-61, the Zaffiro) precisely because it does not have those reported problems.  At least the new revamped generation of the Dream was supposed to have resolved the first generation problems, including the steam/condensation jacking up the interface board.  That's why I bought this machine.  It's very disheartening to have to experience defects with a new machine straight out of the box.  If switching the interface board does not solve the problems, I will indeed return this machine, but very sadly because I otherwise love my La Spaziale.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 2:48pm

sharky Said:

Humor me and let me play the devils advocate for a moment.

I used to think the more something cost the less problems it would have, this has rarely been the case in the last ten years I could afford such items. One thing you will see around here anytime someone needs a commercial machine which can cost 5x what a dream costs the answers will almost always be the one you can get service locally on. The one item I can say lives very much up to its reputation is my Diedrich roaster, probably will never need service other then regular maintenance in my home environment.

In the six months or so that I owned a Duetto 3 I have had steam knob problems I needed to fix, a leak in my steam boiler I had to fix and dumb things like how to make the PID do what I wanted it to do. All where a PIA but all where things CC was able to walk me through and do myself. IMHO the more shipping times these machines see the more likely something is going to go wrong.

That being said CC has a great return policy and if I wasn't happy I would send it back immediately. I personally wanted the dream but the wife gave the nod to the Duetto, who was I to argue, that and the dream was out of stock along with my first choice, lol.
Pantea
Pantea

Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 3:04pm

germantownrob Said:

Humor me and let me play the devils advocate for a moment.

I used to think the more something cost the less problems it would have, this has rarely been the case in the last ten years I could afford such items. One thing you will see around here anytime someone needs a commercial machine which can cost 5x what a dream costs the answers will almost always be the one you can get service locally on. The one item I can say lives very much up to its reputation is my Diedrich roaster, probably will never need service other then regular maintenance in my home environment.

In the six months or so that I owned a Duetto 3 I have had steam knob problems I needed to fix, a leak in my steam boiler I had to fix and dumb things like how to make the PID do what I wanted it to do. All where a PIA but all where things CC was able to walk me through and do myself. IMHO the more shipping times these machines see the more likely something is going to go wrong.

That being said CC has a great return policy and if I wasn't happy I would send it back immediately. I personally wanted the dream but the wife gave the nod to the Duetto, who was I to argue, that and the dream was out of stock along with my first choice, lol.

Posted January 10, 2014 link

I'm curious, did you have to trouble shoot problems right away, or did you fix problems that started to show up as a result of using the machine?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 3:45pm

Pantea Said:

I'm curious, did you have to trouble shoot problems right away, or did you fix problems that started to show up as a result of using the machine?

The problem with the knob was something I had to deal with the first couple of days, the lock tight had failed and the knob wouldn't do its job. It is a simple fix but the first time I did it was a comedy of errors.

The PID was more of a geeky thing, I wanted to have less overshoot so that was more about learning about how the PID effected the machine, a few weeks later I had it set up to work well with my daily routine and found a setting that I use for parties where I might make 10 drinks back to back.

The steam boiler, that came after months of use. I found a large puddle on my countertop around my machine, not a good feeling. I was sure I was going to be driving this up to CCS and going back to pick it up for a total of 18hrs of driving. I was willing to do this driving after ups dropped my Duetto off, I knew it had arrived when I heard a huge thump outside, it was the driver pulling the machine off the back of the truck and it hitting the ground. Some emails to CCS and deeper investigation I found the source of the leak at the bottom of the boiler where the heating element is screwed in, it only leaked when the steam boiler was off and cooled below 175f. Now I bow my head in shame, I have not fixed this issue yet since if the steam boiler is on it does not leak, however I have all I need to fix it so should be done in soon ( I am giving myself until 2015 when I say soon).
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 5:41pm

Pantea Said:

I had to trouble shoot problems right away out of the box & also within a few days on my Vivaldi's. My friends leaked like a
river-out of the box with one of the main copper line's completely disconnected (7 turns of the nut) and was blamed on shipping. Just a lot of money to pay for machines that are not mass produced & fail on arrival, you end up having to try to fix them yourself with the vendors help or pay high shipping rates if you have to send them in for warranty work.
Pantea
Pantea

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 3:17pm

I have successfully switched out the interface board and can report that the up arrow is now working.  I will update again after i have monitored the shots for a while to see if the new board has also remedied the mid-shot pressure loss I was experiencing.
steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 3:30pm

On the Duetto, the first thing you see upon opening the box is a warning and instructions how to hook up the copper line to the the steam wand. Seems there were many problems due to shipping with that line coming loose.
Pantea
Pantea

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 3:08pm

I'm disappointed to report that the new interface board has not corrected my mid-shot pressure loss.  Those are still happening with the same frequency as before (about once every 4-5 shots).  Tim has lobbed this issue over to LaSpaziale technical team together with my video of it.  We await word from them.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > LaSpaziale Dream...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.439119100571)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+