Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
V2B noise
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > V2B noise  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 6:30pm
Subject: Re: V2B noise

JaniceAnn Said:

I contacted Mary at CCS and she sent me, free of any charge, one of the custom E61 portafilters they are now carrying.  It is the same as the ones that come with the UK version that Dave shows in his review of the 2B.  It is beautiful!  Very heavy and extremely well made.  It really does lock in with just a touch of the fingers.

I am very impressed with the Customer Service and how quickly I got the new portafilter.  I emailed CCS on Monday and today I got the package from UPS.  I am very pleased!

Also, I have noticed that my 2B is making the GRR noise less that it was.  Maybe the air is getting worked out as Dave said it would.

Posted November 15, 2013 link

Yeah, I love the UK version Portafilters. As for air, I wish I hadn't nerfed my machine to make it make the noise, as there must be air trapped here and there, I occasionally get the noise now (and I never did before I played), but hopefully its getting less and will go with time. I am going to make a recommendation to QM on Monday of 3 changes I think  may eliminate the possibility of noise from future machines. Unfortunately as early adopters, it's not something we can retrofit, but I'm not bothered.

As for you guys feeling cheated with the US portafilter....you paid less than we did (in fact I couldn't believe the price you got them for) and you got lights as well...;-)
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 6:49pm

DavecUK Said:

....I wish I hadn't nerfed my machine to make it make the noise, as there must be air trapped here and there, I occasionally get the noise now ...

Will not tank users get a small amount of air every time they take the pickup tube out of the tank to refill the tank?

I thought mine was better... and then all of a sudden the noise was back... but I take the tank out every 1 to 3 days to refill it.

I must admit that I don't worry about the noise much these days. Yes, I would prefer it not make the noise, but its not that loud to me and I am sitting here now enjoying a great coffee... so I can overlook it.
CurtG

Espresso: Quick Mill V2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau Syphon
Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 8:19pm

DavecUK Said:

As for you guys feeling cheated with the US portafilter....you paid less than we did (in fact I couldn't believe the price you got them for) and you got lights as well...;-)

I can say I don't feel cheated with the deal I got from CCS, but I can also acknowledge the difference that the UK machines come with.  I spent a bit of time with a utility knife and deburred my US spec portafilter handle, which doesn't make it look much better but feels a lot better in the hand.  I can see a nice custom replacement handle in the future.

Yeah, you can snicker at the LEDs, but they've kind of grown on me.  I can say that this is the machine that should have been in Picard's ready room if he only drank something besides "Earl Grey, hot"!
DavecUK

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 3:01am

CurtG Said:

I can say I don't feel cheated with the deal I got from CCS, but I can also acknowledge the difference that the UK machines come with.  I spent a bit of time with a utility knife and deburred my US spec portafilter handle, which doesn't make it look much better but feels a lot better in the hand.  I can see a nice custom replacement handle in the future.

Yeah, you can snicker at the LEDs, but they've kind of grown on me.  I can say that this is the machine that should have been in Picard's ready room if he only drank something besides "Earl Grey, hot"!

I didn't snicker at the LEDs, my point was you got those in addition to a great price...these cost money to put on and are an extra that UK users didn't and you still paid a lot less. I really should stop posting if stuff is going to get misinterpreted....Jeez
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 12:10pm

Please don't stop posting, Dave.  Your input is always invaluable.  I appreciate all the time you spend trying to help and advise us.
chriscoffee

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2013, 2:10pm

Let me first talk about the noise a rotary pump makes when air gets sucked into it. It is characteristic in ALL machines that use rotary pumps and allow for them to pull water from a tank. Alex, Alex Duetto 3, Rocket Evoluzioni, an Rocket R58. Some machines make more noise than others, some machines may not make noise at all. Sometimes the nose is self inflicted, for example pausing the lever in the middle position can cause it. There are things the user can do to lessen the chance of introducing air, for example when you pull the tube out put it upright and pinch of the end, you could use a cloths pin. Then after you put your take back in stick the end of the tube in the water and take the cloths pin off. There is another way to try and get the air out as well. Take the cap off the side panel and rotate the adjustment on the rotary pump while running it. That sometimes works. Just be sure to use your blank and put the pressure back where it belongs. I said for years "Rotary pump are meant to be used connected to a water source." However the public argued with me and insisted that there was no reason a rotary pump could not draw water from a tank. Your the customer so I gave you want you wanted and even went one farther with a machine that could do either or. Does it work?? Yes it works. Does it do any damage to the machine? No not if the machines is designed correctly so that it shuts off if the water runs low. Are there any down sides? YES it can suck air in and make noise. Solution: #1 Plumb it in. #2 Try your best not to introduce air.

Now the portafilters. Portafilters are irrelevant to be honest with you. I was sent three different portafilters before my machines were produced. I picked the ones that come with the machine. I thought they were the nicest of the three. Reality is there is NOT ONE portafilter that would make everyone happy. The ones I choose are most like the ones on the Vivaldi, Mini Vivaldi, and Dream machines. I have told literally thousands of those machines and have never had a complaint about the portafilters. I someone could tell me exactly what it is about the portafilters that come with the machine that they do not like I will take a closer look and see if I agree with you. You do realize if I change them to something different that I will then get customers calling or emailing asking how come they did not get the "good portafilters that came with the original Vetrano 2B."

Last but not least the lights. Consider them FREE. If you do not like them you have two choices. #1 Don't turn them on. #2 You can very easily remove them from the machine.

I am not going to go back and forth in these forums about these things so if you have something you want to talk to me about then call me.

Chris Nachtrieb, Pres.
Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.

P.S. Dave thanks for all your help and patience with the thread.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2013, 2:53pm

Thanks for the information, Chris.

I will do what you recommend with the water intake tube.  I top off the water tank every night except for Sunday when I leave it where as is.  Then Monday night I empty the whole tank, wash it and refill it.  

My machine doesn't seem to make the noise all the time now so maybe I am not reintroducing air as much and it is getting worked out.  I am still going to use your method though.

I would like to plumb the machine in but our local water is terrible and really hard too.  Would you recommend a RO filter system or something else?
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 12:58pm

Interesting - what Chris writes does makes sense. I've sort of decided that if it really isn't going to damage the pump, then I'm not going to worry about the cavitation. Eventually when I own my own place I will plumb it in, but for now, I'll have to keep it in tank mode. I'll do some of his suggestions, but the noise does come and go, and most times it isn't as bad as it sounds in that video I posted. Doing some of the things Dave mentioned also helped (like slowly lifting the lever rather than a quick flick). Bottom line if it doesn't hurt the machine, and it apparently has no impact on the quality of espresso (as my shots taste as great as ever), then I'll learn to live with it until I get plumb-in capability in the place I live.
CurtG

Espresso: Quick Mill V2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau Syphon
Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 6:58pm

DavecUK Said:

I didn't snicker at the LEDs, my point was you got those in addition to a great price...these cost money to put on and are an extra that UK users didn't and you still paid a lot less. I really should stop posting if stuff is going to get misinterpreted....Jeez

Posted November 16, 2013 link

My comment was made completely in jest.  I thought comparing the blue LEDs and E61 saucer to the starship Enterprise would be the giveaway, but I obviously walked into that misinterpretation with my vague comment.  I apologize profusely.
pShoe

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 8:24pm

DeanOK Said:

Will not tank users get a small amount of air every time they take the pickup tube out of the

chriscoffee Said:

...when you pull the tube out put it upright and pinch of the end, you could use a cloths pin.

...Take the cap off the side panel and rotate the adjustment on the rotary pump while running it. That sometimes works.

...Last but not least the lights. Consider them FREE. If you do not like them you have two choices. #1 Don't turn them on. #2 You can very easily remove them from the machine.

Posted November 17, 2013 link

I always pour water into the reservoir without removing it from the machine. I know it is not recommend, but I'm extremely careful and pour from a water bottle with a small spout. My machine has been virtual free of the cavitation sounds. I think not removing the tube has help contribute to that. Adjusting the rotary pump was one of the first things I did after setting the machine up. I lowered the pressure, but wound up adjusting it back to factory settings. Maybe that help avoid the sound too.  

It's crazy how much the "lights" are talked about. I love the way they look. It is one of the first aspects of the machine my friends compliment after the "holy shit" phrase, which is almost always said.
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > V2B noise  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.422731161118)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+