Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Scala - Pump runs non stop on start up...
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Scala - Pump...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
peeteemac

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 1:49pm
Subject: La Scala - Pump runs non stop on start up...

Im having issues with a La Scala I rescued and rebuild lately.

Everything appears good but when I power the machine on it runs the pump non stop. Sometimes if I turn it off and back on it will run for a while and stop allowing the boiler to reach temp correctly.

Ive replaced the pump (as it did this with the origonal and cooked it. When I opened the vibe pump it had broken bits of spring in there)

Ive replaced the solenoid

I descaled when I did the rebuild so Im pretty sure thats all good

The Butterfly was a plumbed in model when I bought it so Im wondering if that is why there are a number of terminals "free" on the control box. Also there is 1 free terminal on both the presurestat, solenoid, and group switch. Should I be worried about this?

peeteemac: IMG_0237 - Copy.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
peeteemac

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 1:52pm
Subject: Re: La Scala - Pump runs non stop on start up...

Also forgot to mention:

The boiler is getting a good level of water (checked with wooden dowel)
Getting good amount of steam and water from wands. But a very low presure trickle from grouphead when testing waterflow there.

Pic here is of the empty terminals on control box.

peeteemac: IMG_0239.JPG
(Click for larger image)
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Nov 17, 2013, 9:28am
Subject: Re: La Scala - Pump runs non stop on start up...

peeteemac Said:

The Butterfly was a plumbed in model when I bought it so Im wondering if that is why there are a number of terminals "free" on the control box. Also there is 1 free terminal on both the presurestat, solenoid, and group switch. Should I be worried about this?

Posted November 16, 2013 link

Don't worry about those. The pressostat and group switch have "Normally Open" and "Normally Closed" configurations. Only one is used (Usually) in espresso machines (Unless there's a light or something... Nevermind, forget about those, they're fine). The solenoid valve will have a grounding tab on it.  It is fine if it's empty. The one that isn't parallel to another is the ground terminal.

_
      _  |  This one is the ground, on your solenoid coil. Probably empty.

The 5 terminals that are free on your box are for 2 LEDs and their common connector (That don't exist) and the switch for your Group-Head 2 and its common (You only have one group)  So don't worry about the empty terminals.

Sorry I can't say what the problem IS, but I can rule out your worries that there are missing wires. My guesses would begin with the machine believing that it is trying to fill the boiler. That would explain the pump running.  Is the solenoid valve also getting power?   If you short out the boiler probe to ground, does the pump stop?

All that said...  The fact that the pump is constantly running but no water is going anywhere. (The boiler isn't overfilling and blowing out the safety valve...  You just get a line-pressure trickle at the brew-head)...  Your pump is possibly not working or at least just relieving to inlet/bypassing  or something.  You have to give us the clues, though.  Your wiring looks to be okay, in-so-far-as the possibility of missing wires from the unused terminals...  On to the real issues.   Good luck, buddy.  Keep us posted as you find the clues.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Scala - Pump...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.302489042282)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+