Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Cuisinart EM-100: a good pull of espresso possible??
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Cuisinart...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
matteo411

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 11:44am
Subject: Cuisinart EM-100: a good pull of espresso possible??

My equipment:

- Cuisinart EM-100 and a bottomless portafilter
- 51mm metal tamper I got on Ebay
- Single-wall filter baskets
- Baratza Virtuoso grinder
- Bellman stovetop milk steamer

I changed the grinder to the "fine" setting by taking it apart and moving where the screw was for the grind setting. Now the problem I've got is with the ring setting on "3" it's too fine and pretty much regardless of tamp pressure the machine can't squeeze out any espresso. So I've been experimenting with tamp pressure on the "4" setting and I think I got maybe one good pull out of the last 50 or so tries. Most of the time the problem is that it just comes out way too fast. When I try adding more pressure I get a lot of spraying out to the sides, regardless of how careful I am with tamp uniformity. Can anyone share experience or tips with this machine? Is it time to upgrade?

Thanks!
Matt
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 11:58am
Subject: Re: Cuisinart EM-100: a good pull of espresso possible??

Matt, welcome to CG.

While the EM-100 may a starter machine, so is my Gaggia.  The difficulty is in your description.  Too fine or too coarse a grind.  The Preciso is probably the lowest cost capable espresso grinder, vs the Virtuoso, because of the micro adjustment.

Is a good pull possible, yes.  Easy, no.  

If you haven't read it yet,

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME

Is your tamper fitted to the machine?

How do you control/surf temperature?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 1:00pm

The Virtuoso can't do decent espresso grinding. I had to ditch mine and trade it in for a Vario-W. As stated above, the Preciso is probably the lowest-end decent espresso grinder.
jonr

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 3:34pm

Modifying tamp pressure pretty much doesn't work.  Grind and dose will have an effect.

I don't know your machine, but if it can produce a consistently correct starting temperature, a small intra-shot temperature drop and a steady ~9 bars, it should do OK.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 3:46pm

D4F Said:

Is your tamper fitted to the machine?

Posted November 16, 2013 link

jonr Said:

Modifying tamp pressure pretty much doesn't work.  

Posted November 16, 2013 link

Tamp pressure not so important, consistency is, but a fitted tamper that does not take several tamps will help.  I was thinking of some of the small plastic tampers.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
matteo411

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 7:25pm

Posted twice by accident
matteo411

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 7:38pm

Thanks for all the quick replies! It's great to see how alive the forums are here at CG. It will surely be my go-to source in the future.

The machine is pretty basic. I have no control over temperature or pressure. The spec is 15 bars of pressure like most other machines in this $100-$200 range.

The tamper I have is fairly close to what I would call fitted. It's a 51mm tamper and there is only an extremely small gap between the edges of the tamper and the inner edge of the filter basket. I've tried evening out all the grounds in it, leveling it off, doing the "staub" north south east west thing, all kinds of things.

Based on the responses I'm leaning towards investing in a better grinder as that seems like it could be the missing link. I'm also getting frustrated with the Virtuoso because it just makes a mess and sprays a lot of grounds everywhere when I try to hold the portafilter under the grind chute correctly.

-Matt
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Cuisinart...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.350951910019)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+