Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Brewtus IV not consistently reaching maximum brew pressure
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brewtus IV not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
BrianEnos

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 5:02pm
Subject: Re: Brewtus IV not consistently reaching maximum brew pressure

acasabia Said:

they're using a rotary pump model machine in that video. It will reach 9 bar no matter what.

Posted February 13, 2014 link

Ohhh... Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
BrianEnos

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 5:07pm

acasabia Said:

Also, I know this is probably redundant but Ill ask anyway. How old is your coffee, and have you tweaked your grind at all?  I find that once certain coffees gets past 3 weeks, I cant get consistent pressure without tightening the grind significantly.

For many years now... I order 4 bags of Dolce at a time from David Schoomer's website - it's never any older than that. This intermittant problem is definitely not bean / grind related.

acasabia Said:

I notice you say that the machine reaches 9bar with a blank PF, my guess then is the pump and OPV are fine.

With no portafilter in the machine, the pressure will reach 3 - 3.5 bars. With a blind portafilter, it reaches 10 bars, every time.
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 8:59pm

BrianEnos Said:

With no portafilter in the machine, the pressure will reach 3 - 3.5 bars. With a blind portafilter, it reaches 10 bars, every time.

Posted February 14, 2014 link

This all sounds fine then. With a blind does it reach 10 and then drop? If the machine is able to reach the pressure and hold it every time, there should be no issue.

You say this is an intermittent issue, how does it correlate with your ordering schedule? I know it takes me a 3weeks to go through 24oz of coffee. By the end of that month I have to tighten my grind to hold pressure/timing. The sensitivity here of course will vary with coffee. With older beans the pressure may be much slower to rise, or just stick at 50%. If you order 4 bags at a time I'd expect with 18g shots you to have 75 drinks per order or about 6 weeks (assuming two drinks per day), well beyond a useful age for espresso.

The way I see it, you already replaced the pump, the OPV, and air remover, so there shouldn't be a problem there if its installed properly. It's reaching the limit pressure without issue using a blank, and revving up to 3 when open. Assuming no leaks (not likely without you noticing) the only variable missing is the coffee.

Do you have a bottomless PF? That would clue you in to obvious defects in grind and tamp. I haven't spent too much time with a vario, though I know its a small but capable grinder, can you choke the machine?

Important side note
When I did have an issue with my OPV specifically, I found that if I pulled a blank first, and then made my drink it had no trouble reaching the desired pressure. I guess this unstuck the valve. Eventually I realized it was better to just open and clean it out.

Try this with your machine. From what it sounds like its not the OPV, but who knows. It seems like a lot of these machines were made on a friday at 7:59pm.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Malongo Café (Paris, Fr) Single source Mexican.

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BrianEnos

Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 11:55am

With a blind, the pressure never drops once it reaches 10 bars.

There is no correlation between the age for the beans and when it doesn't reach full pressure. I'm sure on that.

It's not the beans, or the age of them that is the problem. With my precious machine (Brewtus II) and the same beans and age factor, there was never any incosnsitency in the brewing pressure.

I have a bottomless PF. And there is no relationship between how the coffee appears on the screen and the brewing pressure.

Pulling a blank shot before brewing has no affect on inconsistent brewing pressure.

Thank you for your continued follow up on this issue.
BrianEnos

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 3:25pm

Update - new weirdness occurring.

For about the last 6 weeks, very intermittantly... With a blind portafilter / running a cleaning cycle, right after the pressure has max'd out at 10 bars, the pump gets real quite, and the pressure drops down a bit. Sound-wise, it sounds like the pump is "barely running." When you release the pressure, the water shooting out of discharge value looks to be maybe under about half the pressure as it would normally be.

Until today, I've only observed this behavior with the blind portafilter. Which it did when runnig a cleaning cycle after making this morning's shots.

Then just now while a shot was extracting, the pressure went up to about 8 bars (normally would have reached 9 bars), stayed there for a second or two, then the pressure dropped to 6 bars, stayed there for a second or two, then back up to 8 bars, stayed there for a second or two, then back to 6 bars... repeated that sequence until the 25 seconds was up. (The shot tasted like crap - real bitter up front.)

The running a cleaning cycle, the same deal... The pump almost went slient after it reached max pressure.

(I clean the machine at the first of every month with Cafiza.)

I'm starting to believe that this machine is never going to work properly.
BrianEnos

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 2:43pm

I emailed this Todd Salzman (Whole Latte Love)...

I tested the machine by watching the discharge line, with the blind portafilter, and observed what should be diagnostic.

For the first 3 backflushes, when the pump sounded normal and the pressure was at 10 bars, there was a steady stream of water coming out of the discharge line.

The on the 4th backflush - the pump went into "almost silent" mode, and the pressure dropped down to 9 bars - there was not any water coming out of the discharge line.
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brewtus IV not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.350070953369)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+