Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Brewtus IV not consistently reaching maximum brew pressure
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brewtus IV not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BrianEnos

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 4:28pm
Subject: Re: Brewtus IV not consistently reaching maximum brew pressure

Update... For several days in a row, it pulled 4 or 5 shots a day - the best shots ever, brewing consistenly at 9 bars. Then it pulled 4 shots in a row, sadly, with the max pressure of between 4 - 6 bars. Then this morning it was back to perfect, with 3 shots in a row at 9 bars.
 View Profile Link to this post
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 8:40am

what have you tried thus far?
are these your results after replacing the OPV? if not, have you tried opening and cleaning the OPV? On my machine I had these results because the OPV was getting stuck, perhaps due to a small piece of scale inside it, and preventing the pressure from rising properly.

It occured less than 6 months after I bought the machine, but since I removed and cleaned it, it has not happened again.

The fact that your machine doe get up to full pressure and is pulling good shots is encouraging, and a sign that there is probably nothing vitally wrong. The OPV is a really easy fix, the change in pump pitch is most likely due to it working against a different resistance and not some conflict there.

Any chance of a video showing the brew manometer during a shot?

best of luck.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BrianEnos

Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 4:22pm

Thank you for the continued follow up.

Todd, at WLL, sent me a new  pump, opv, air remover. Which I replaced. At first, it seemed like that fixed the problem, but it didn't. The machine started occassionly not reaching full pressure again. So Todd asked me to watch the return line, to see if I could see any difference in the water flow, when the machine reached full pressure, and when it didn't.

I reported:
===============
I watched the return
line during 3 perfect shots, and from when I lifted the handle to when the
pressure reached 9 bars, there was a steady dripping at the return line.

Then I pulled 2 more shots, that paused for 6 - 7 seconds at 7 bars,
before going up to 9 bars. When the pressure was paused at 7 bars, instead
of a steady dripping, there was a continuous flow of water. Then when the
pressure went up to 9 bars, the steady flow changed to a steady dripping.
===============

Todd said that the only thing it could be was the pump, opv, air remover. So he said he'd send them to me more time. Which hasn't happened yet (that was in mid-December).

Since then however, the percentage of times the machine does not reach full pressure has gradually diminished. It used to not reach full pressure at least 50% of the time. Today, it reaches full pressure about 90 - 95% of the time. So I think I am done with it.
acasabia
acasabia

Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 5:06pm

BrianEnos Said:

Thank you for the continued follow up.

Todd, at WLL, sent me a new  pump, opv, air remover. Which I replaced. At first, it seemed like that fixed the problem, but it didn't. The machine started occassionly not reaching full pressure again. So Todd asked me to watch the return line, to see if I could see any difference in the water flow, when the machine reached full pressure, and when it didn't.

I reported:
===============
I watched the return
line during 3 perfect shots, and from when I lifted the handle to when the
pressure reached 9 bars, there was a steady dripping at the return line.

Then I pulled 2 more shots, that paused for 6 - 7 seconds at 7 bars,
before going up to 9 bars. When the pressure was paused at 7 bars, instead
of a steady dripping, there was a continuous flow of water. Then when the
pressure went up to 9 bars, the steady flow changed to a steady dripping.
===============

Todd said that the only thing it could be was the pump, opv, air remover. So he said he'd send them to me more time. Which hasn't happened yet (that was in mid-December).

Since then however, the percentage of times the machine does not reach full pressure has gradually diminished. It used to not reach full pressure at least 50% of the time. Today, it reaches full pressure about 90 - 95% of the time. So I think I am done with it.

Posted February 7, 2014 link

I should mention that since my last post I had to completely disassemble, clean, and reassemble my OPV. I had a similar pressure sticking issue, the same problem I had about a year ago.

My return line had a bit of a drip during shots, but too much. Since in your case it sounds like the OPV isn't closing all the way and allowing too much backflow, I would dissasble it by turning off the machine, removing the casing, turning it onto its side and unscrew the OPV adjustment screw until it comes off.

Make sure you have something to collect water from the lines. I actually blew through the return line to send any excess back into the boiler before I opened it up.

Inside is a spring with a little cap, clean those, use a pipe cleaner on the inside of the OPV valve and components, add a touch of food safe grease or vaseline to the rubber tip of the cap to help it seal, and reassemble.
This process took me about 30 minutes, should take less time if you let the machine cool down first.

I doubt its the pump, Im not sure what the air remover could be doing (where is that?).. if its sending it back in the return line its probably the OPV.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:

Cold Brewing:

BrianEnos

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 4:53pm

Since the machine intermittantly would not reach full pressure when it was brand new, and it still would intermittantly not reach full pressure immediately after replacing the OPV with a new one - do you think cleaning it, as you described, would be of any help?

Again, thanks for the continued follow up.
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 12:30pm

I will take a stab at this, with the variance of things coming and going, I would bet there is an object stuck somewhere but is free to move about, So it may travel to a point that allows free brewing, then due to water flow over a period os shots, it finds its way to clogging the system, then falls back when the pressure is removed. Kind of like a flapper ball in a toilet, every so often it will stay off the valve to allow flushing other times it stops the flow into the bowl when it closes.
BrianEnos

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 3:37pm

steamer Said:

I will take a stab at this, with the variance of things coming and going, I would bet there is an object stuck somewhere but is free to move about, So it may travel to a point that allows free brewing, then due to water flow over a period os shots, it finds its way to clogging the system, then falls back when the pressure is removed. Kind of like a flapper ball in a toilet, every so often it will stay off the valve to allow flushing other times it stops the flow into the bowl when it closes.

Posted February 13, 2014 link

Having a mechanical / troubleshooting background, I thought the same thing. On a car, I'd know where to look. But on the Brewtus, I'm not sure where to start...
BrianEnos

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 3:48pm

In this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKDvJUxrXDo

... Watch the pressure gage when he has the handle in the brewing position, w/o even a portafilter in the machine. It goes up to 7 - 8 bars! With no back pressure, I don't understand why the brew pressure will reach 7 bars. My machine will never go past 3 - 3.5 bars, without a portafilter in the machine.

:perplexed:
acasabia
acasabia

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 4:20pm

BrianEnos Said:

In this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKDvJUxrXDo

... Watch the pressure gage when he has the handle in the brewing position, w/o even a portafilter in the machine. It goes up to 7 - 8 bars! With no back pressure, I don't understand why the brew pressure will reach 7 bars. My machine will never go past 3 - 3.5 bars, without a portafilter in the machine.

:perplexed:

Posted February 13, 2014 link

they're using a rotary pump model machine in that video. It will reach 9 bar no matter what.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:

Cold Brewing:

acasabia
acasabia

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 5:17pm

Also, I know this is probably redundant but Ill ask anyway. How old is your coffee, and have you tweaked your grind at all? I notice you say that the machine reaches 9bar with a blank PF, my guess then is the pump and OPV are fine. I find that once certain coffees gets past 3 weeks, I cant get consistent pressure without tightening the grind significantly.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:

Cold Brewing:

showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brewtus IV not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.387537002563)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+