Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
V2B noise
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > V2B noise  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
Author Messages
Tonyv138

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 5:44am
Subject: V2B noise

I figured it is time to start a new thread on this topic.

Dave's request for tests:

I would like some you to do some tests to help me.

- Attach the pipe to the bottom of the machine, switch it into plumbed mode, stick the pipe into a bottle of water on the counter and run with that for a week.
- Does anyone with the machine plumbed have this problem
- Switch the machine from tanked, to mains and back 3 times, does the problem go away
- I always wanted a cap on that mains connector (someone go down the plumbing store and get a cap with rubber pad to seal that mains inlet).

Observe the brew pressure gauge each time before a shot and anything else about your routine and then report back. Perhaps somewhere in all this an answer will appear.

My machine is runs as follows:
- RO+ bicarb @ 70 TDS
- nothing on the intake tube
- offset is 27F (15C)
- group temp set to 200F

when the noise occurs, the pressure is slow to clime up.
also i noticed that if you do not feed the water to (close the intake), same noise occures

not sure if this helps....
 View Profile Link to this post
Tonyv138

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 7:16am
Subject: Re: V2B noise

couple of more things:
- expansion valve is set to between 11 and 11.5 bar
- and i typically de-pressurize the brew cycle after brewing, want to stay consistent with this for now.
DavecUK

Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 9:13am

Tonyv138 Said:

couple of more things:
- expansion valve is set to between 11 and 11.5 bar
- and i typically de-pressurize the brew cycle after brewing, want to stay consistent with this for now.

Posted November 2, 2013 link

OK I NEVER depressurise the brew cycle after brewing = difference in technique

I do this to maintain some back pressure for valves that work better with it....the pressure helps keep the brew system valves sealed tighter (group and backflow valves!). It also raises the BP of water in brew boiler and prevents any headpsace formation from steam within brew boiler. I would strongly recommend you do not de-pressurise the group after brewing (on any machine).
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 10:41am

"depressurize the brew cycle after brewing" I have no idea that means.  Please explain like I am simple.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 11:30am

Coffeenoobie Said:

"depressurize the brew cycle after brewing" I have no idea that means.  Please explain like I am simple.

Pull shot, lift lever stop shot, pressure in brew path shown on gauge. Lift lever a little until water comes out of group (but don't let pump engage). Brew pressure gauge drops to 0 and brew path is depressurized..

However, I am assuming you don't have a V2B or an E61 group machine as you're profile says you have an Oscar?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 12:43pm

Thank you. Yes, I have Oscar, but I still like to understand what I am reading.  Also, if I did not know maybe someone else would not but be afraid to ask.  I am not afraid of looking silly.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 4:53pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Thank you. Yes, I have Oscar, but I still like to understand what I am reading.  Also, if I did not know maybe someone else would not but be afraid to ask.  I am not afraid of looking silly.

I didn't mean it like that at all, what I meant was I didn't expect you to know, because my assumption was your profile was still correct and you wouldn't have experience of an E61 and hence it was reasonable and you were not "being being simple" to ask. I was not being critical at all?
pShoe

Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 5:56pm

Posted by Carlo in the mega thread. I felt it was worthwhile to cross post it here,

CarloM Said:

Dave - tried the switch from tank to mains three times and it still did it. I switched back and forth with the power off (machine plugged in but power not on). Do you need to do it with the power on?

Also, regarding OPV - when I draw about 2oz (which I think is about 60ml) the pressure gauge rests back between 4-5, and then slowly creeps back up to ~9 after a few minutes. Is this correct or do I need to adjust?

Many thanks!

DavecUK

Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 8:03pm

pShoe Said:

Posted by Carlo in the mega thread. I felt it was worthwhile to cross post it here,

Yeah I would switch between mains and tanked with the power switch on the machine on. It is a long shot, but perhaps air is bleeding in/or leaking from one of the solenoid valves...I don't think so, but easy enough to try by simply switching them a few timess, which will reseat em when they're new.

If I clean the group, which could be 2-3oz, normally I see the pressure gauge go up to 11.5 bar AFTER i shut of the pump, or just above, which shows me what pressure the OPV is adjusted to. It's normal due to expansion of cold water that enters the tank. You're expansion valve (OPV) should be set to around 11.5 or 12 bar. You can check this easily, by:

putting in a  blind filter
removing the cup rack under the group

Pull a shot against the blind filter and adjust up the pump pressure until you start getting a flow (not the odd drip) out of the expansion valve outlet (you can see it in the drip tray). This should happen at about 11.5 to 12 bar. if it happens much below 11 bar, you need to tighten up the expansion valve (case removal required).
pShoe

Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 8:23pm

Mine has the correct pressure settings. I made a video of it a while back for documentation purposes. If it helps anyone, this is the link to the video. The first part is running water with no PF, than with a blind basket, and than allowing the ramp to the OPV setting. The OPV section was sped up.
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > V2B noise  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395374059677)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+