Espresso: Espresso Machines
I did something stupid. -New guy.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I did something...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 1:30pm
Subject: Re: I'm did something stupid. -New guy.

xdoctor Said:

You guys are great with google.  I've got to stop using the same screen name everywhere I guess.  

Here's the problem.  I am in fact, in Casper.  There is nowhere in Wyoming that sells or services any of this stuff.  There is no training available in Wyoming.  I'm right in the middle of nowhere here.  I've reached out to a couple consultants and training schools around the country to ask about their programs, haven't heard anything back yet.  The only one I found that was even close geographically, their phone number is disconnected.  It would be nice to send one of my employees to the school, then let them come back and teach me.  I personally don't have the time to go and do it, I have other businesses to run.  Hell, I haven't had time for more than a two day vacation in the last five years.

Thanks for all your input, it gives me a place to start.

Posted November 14, 2013 link

Here is a place I know of. I am not endorsing them and I am not affiliated with them but I do have them on my FB feed and they seem to run a lot of people through their school. Just offering for your own info....

http://www.texascoffeeschool.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 1:42pm
Subject: Re: I did something stupid. -New guy.

I would look in the PNW or California over TX because of the coffee culture here. I know nothing good or bad about the TX school.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 2:50pm

I think...

...if the training is going to involve an airplane and a hotel, then Klatch (www.klatchroasting.com in the Los Angeles area) should be seriously considered.  Heather offers a full barista course, designed for pros, in addition to the one day consumer level class.  I can only vouch first hand for the one day class, but it was incredible and highly worthwhile.  If I were going pro, I'd look no further for my training needs.

...anyone who hasn't taken more than one or two days vacation in 5 years for reasons other than extreme financial distress should re-evaluate their life. Why work your a$$ off only to die later, without taking time to enjoy life?

well...again...as I said I think...  so this is only MY opinion.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
xdoctor

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 5:50pm

emradguy Said:

I think...

...if the training is going to involve an airplane and a hotel, then Klatch (www.klatchroasting.com in the Los Angeles area) should be seriously considered.  Heather offers a full barista course, designed for pros, in addition to the one day consumer level class.  I can only vouch first hand for the one day class, but it was incredible and highly worthwhile.  If I were going pro, I'd look no further for my training needs.

...anyone who hasn't taken more than one or two days vacation in 5 years for reasons other than extreme financial distress should re-evaluate their life. Why work your a$$ off only to die later, without taking time to enjoy life?

well...again...as I said I think...  so this is only MY opinion.

Thanks man, I'll give them a call tomorrow.  

Did my mother call you and tell you to post that?  She tells me I work too hard every time I talk to her lol.  Different people enjoy different things.  I enjoy the hell out of what I do.  If someone gave me the option to spend the next week working toward a goal or relaxing at a resort in the Bahamas...   I would be working.  Building something from nothing is far more thrilling to me than anything else.  Just the way I'm wired.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 7:49pm

Then you will like the espresso class, it will get you more wired.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 10:12pm

Yeah, I kind of figured my second statement would draw a reply like that. Well, to each his/her own. I'm glad you enjoy working so hard. I've got too many hobbies to be a real go-getter. Well, maybe some of mine are better referred to as indulgences...lol. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 7:48am

I've taken Barista and Roasting classes at Klatch, and second the endorsement.  So +1 on that.  Before you faint from sticker-shock, let me warn you that Klatch is far from cheap.  But let me also reassure you, Klatch is worth it.  You'll probably want the professional class, but don't take my word for it -- call and tell Heather your situation.

If you want to avoid losing a ton of money, faster than you dreamed possible, and are too busy to learn the coffee (or any other retail food) business, restrict your participation to personal consumption.   Not only do you need to be able to keep an eye on quality, cleanliness and maintenance, and the money flow through what is one of the last largely cash businesses; you need to know enough to be able to do your own training, because employee turnover happens.  

And -- fair warning -- coffee is an extremely time-intensive business in lots of other ways.  Think and rethink.

BDL
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 8:19am
Subject: Re: I'm did something stupid. -New guy.

I love Klatch coffee also but found this in Seattle just as an FYI...I dont anything about them but just did a quick google search for
something closer maybe.

http://www.seattlebaristaacademy.com/
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 8:36am

emradguy Said:

I think...

+1!
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 8:30pm

xdoctor Said:

Just how bad is an Oberon Futurete?  Would I be better off buying a new machine for the kiosk and bring the Oberon home to learn on?

Posted November 13, 2013 link

If you're doing it "Because the guys that worked at the coffee shop should stay employed", then ask them what they need.  They're going to know more than you, have experience in that exact business in that exact location and have developed meaningful opinions.  Maybe they won't know... If not, then it doesn't matter. They're as well off selling liquid nicotine fluid for e-smokes as they are espresso (Or McFries or anything).  If you really think they're worthwhile, let THEM do something with your new property. It's not all about you, you're just the moron with your dad's money buying a property...  You're obviously already asking for FREE help from people who appreciate espresso enough to possibly offer some. Maybe your new staff are really good, maybe they'll impress us all.  If not, no loss. The employees couldn't pull it off, the owner didn't expand into something new.  Same old same old.  Contact your locat equipment suppliers and service departments...  You actually do want to run a business like a real business owner, right?

If you seriously live in a place that doesn't have any espresso-equipment pushers making themselves known, then you might not have a big enough market to want to be in that business. If they exist and you can't recognize them, then you might not want to be in that business.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I did something...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.388967990875)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+