Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Problem with the ECM Techika Profi II
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Problem with the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
SteenK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 12:39pm
Subject: Problem with the ECM Techika Profi II

Im in search for other owners of the ECM Technika IV Profi switchable with rotation pump. I have had my machine for a year now, and I really think I have a problem. When I see other ECM machines - even the identical without rotation pump and switchable levers, The steam pressure is much more intense than on my machine. The machine is born with a 2 hole steam head, and even though my  pressure gauge is at 1.5 which is max pressure, I can hardly rotate my milk if I use a milk jar for a double latte. Does anyone else have this problem with this model??

It really irritating and I don't understand why my pressure has to be this low? As I say - other machines I've tried have much higher pressure.
Because of the lower pressure, I have a hard time getting my milk correct for proper latte art creation.

Hope someone here can help me!

Best regards
Steen
 View Profile Link to this post
dsblv

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 1:09pm
Subject: Re: Problem with the ECM Techika Profi II

Your boiler pressure is more than high enough to steam milk.  In fact, it's probably too high.  My Rocket Evoluzione has the same size boiler and I run a maximum pressure of 1.2 bar.  Don't get boiler pressure confused with brew pressure.  Brew pressure is typically 9 bar, which is independent of boiler pressure for steaming.

How much milk are you trying to steam?  And, what type of milk jug are you using?  If you're steaming a large quantity of milk, then you want to try a 4-hole steam tip.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 1:15pm

Hej Steen,

Finally another Technika owner! We seem to be few and far between.

In any case, I have had my Technika for about four months and have not made any adjustments to it or even opened the case. The PSTAT came preset at 1.25 bar and the pump at 9.1 bar. I have the rotary pump, switchable model, like yours. I think the only difference (besides mine being 120v) is that mine presumably has boiler insulation, while yours has the inside frame insulated.

Like yours, mine also came with the two hole tip. I had an Oscar before that, which I had retrofitted with a Silvia 1 hole tip for better control, so it took me some practice to steam with the two hole tip. I have noticed you need to tip the steam wand up at a pretty dramatic angle to get the milk spinning, or you can point it straight down and just put it in the middle of the milk, though this is less consistent. My steaming procedure on the Technika is this:

1) Pull chilled pitcher from the freezer

2) Fill with milk, or in my case, a shot of Splenda, 1/2 water, 1/2 half and half (low sugar diet)

3) Place tip about 1cm below the milk in the upper corner of the pitcher near the spout, with the pitcher slightly tilted

4) Open lever to full

5) Wait for milk to start spinning, which gives me a chance to adjust the placement of the tip, THEN pull back a bit to start introducing air into the milk

6) When the pitcher starts to get warm, I push the tip back into the milk only about 2-3cm and spin it until it is uncomfortably warm, then immediately shut the steam off.

Another thing I should mention is that I purge the moisture from the steam wand before frothing the milk, then wait for the Pstat to complete its cycle, before beginning. If it is a problem with the machine itself, my only suggestion is to check your water hardness because of possible scale. Is yours plumbed in? Do you use a water softener?

Honestly, yours should be a beast compared to mine--Pstat set 1/4 bar higher, and higher voltage Euro heating element.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 1:18pm

If it helps I can also make a video for you. Let me know!
kwantfm

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 8:54pm

I've got the vibe pump version.  My steam boiler runs around 1.4 bar.  I have enormous amounts of steam and can easily whirlpool the largest steaming jug I have.  I tried both Espro steam tips but ended up moving back to the stock two hole because it allows me to produce really silky smooth milk.  Have you given the wand and or the steam tip a thorough cleaning?
SteenK

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 10:23am

Hi Markarian and kwantfm. Thank you so much for your answers.
I have been in touch with ECM in Germany who have been very helpful. They advised me to try and empty the boiler by warming the machine up, then switching it off and emptying the water out through the water dispenser arm. If I got more than 0.9 liters out, my tank had been overfilled earlier somehow which would result in lower steam pressure. I got 1 liter out of the boiler and it seams that it has helped some. Im not completely satisfied as I have tried 2 other ECM technika machines  with overloads of steam pressure, but it has helped some.

Markarian - I would be so happy if you could send a video showing your steam pressure and reachable votes speed in a video so I can see how far off I am. Im using the 2 hole tip - tried a 5 hole because I was told this was the problem, but forget it - its just introducing too much air, and I can't control it the same way as the two hole version which gives me a much more smooth result.

Surprising to hear that we are only a few ECM techinka owners.. Beside from my small problem with the steam pressure which is definitely not standard, I love this machine. It beautiful, smooth in operation and very strong and stable.

The very best regards
Steen
SteenK

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 10:23am

I have been in touch with ECM in Germany who have been very helpful. They advised me to try and empty the boiler by warming the machine up, then switching it off and emptying the water out through the water dispenser arm. If I got more than 0.9 liters out, my tank had been overfilled earlier somehow which would result in lower steam pressure. I got 1 liter out of the boiler and it seams that it has helped some. Im not completely satisfied as I have tried 2 other ECM technika machines  with overloads of steam pressure, but it has helped some.

Markarian - I would be so happy if you could send a video showing your steam pressure and reachable votes speed in a video so I can see how far off I am. Im using the 2 hole tip - tried a 5 hole because I was told this was the problem, but forget it - its just introducing too much air, and I can't control it the same way as the two hole version which gives me a much more smooth result.

Surprising to hear that we are only a few ECM technika owners.. Beside from my small problem with the steam pressure which is definitely not standard, I love this machine. It beautiful, smooth in operation and very strong and stable.

The very best regards
Steen
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 2:14pm

SteenK Said:

Surprising to hear that we are only a few ECM technika owners.. Beside from my small problem with the steam pressure which is definitely not standard, I love this machine. It beautiful, smooth in operation and very strong and stable.

The very best regards
Steen

Posted November 19, 2013 link

Maybe the steam wand or tip are clogged, if the wand is a no burn maybe the inner silicone tube is to long and blocking the steam tip hole. Try draining the boiler again as recommended by ECM, if you get more than 0.9L of water maybe the boiler fill sensor is scaled or needs adjusting.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 3:02pm

I the boiler is overfilled, pull the level probe and check for scale. But remember that the water in the steam boiler holds more thermal energy than the steam above the water, so too low of a water level would make for less steaming power than too high. Still, if you are not getting a lot of wet steam then overfilling is probably not the problem. With the boiler set at 1.5 there should be plenty of steam, IF the gauge is correct.

Pull the steam tip off and see what kind of power there is in the steam (do so carefully). if that seems low as well, it could be a problem in the valve. At that point you might want to trace back through the steam path and check for scale or other obstructions.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 12:15pm

Here you go, Steen. Let me know if this is helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBdApVtfspM
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Problem with the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.359763860703)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+