Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Report back on the used Oscar
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Report back on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Tobb

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 12:21pm
Subject: Report back on the used Oscar

I posted a couple days ago about a used Oscar a drive away. Well he dropped his price to $500 and I made the drive. It looks brand new never used. So I believe it was barely used. The insulation looks and feels brand new.

So I fired it up and..
It was telling me that the reservoir was empty. I used the back side of a screwdriver and tapped on each valve that I could see and I reseated the reservoir several times and it started working.

Then the steam and the water smelled terrible or age. I have run about 4 or 5 reservoirs full through it. The water now smells clean but the steam still smells not good. Any quick tips on this?

Also, when I get it up to heat and start a shot with no group on it steams (as expected) but when the water starts to come after it's only like 160 and quickly goes down to 140 before stabilizing. Any ideas where to start on this?

I really think that this machine is barely used. Nothing is going to be corroded or broken. What I expect is stiff rubber parts and possible stuck valves ect. Any advice is appreciated. I am off to spend the afternoon watching football, googling the water stench issue, and reading the boards.

Markarian was right about the law =D

Thanks
Dan
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 12:30pm
Subject: Re: Report back on the used Oscar

You are letting the steam out after 10 mins right?  Then allow it to heat up fully.

Steam: You probably need to drain the boiler.  Not fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8iqxLBvSic

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Tobb

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 12:41pm

I have bled the steam line. I have had it on for several hours yesterday and several hours today. I keep flushing and keep steaming hoping to knock the smell out. That does not seem to have any impact on the temp issue.

Thanks for the video! About to watch.

Dan
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 1:26pm

First your pstat might be set too low.  I would up that after you drain the boiler.  

The video shows you how to open the case up  From there you can get the boiler clean out drain open and tip out as much as you can.  You can fill it from the boiler probe with descale solution also let it sit a bit and drain.  

This way you can drain it and tip the water out after opening the case with less risk to the brain than the other oscar descale without complete tear down on youtube.  I don't like that method because it seems like it would be too easy to get water in the brain.  The only descale done on mine was in the link in my sig file where we took everything apart.  But with soft water I think I will only do that every other year.  I think I would just do the boiler clean out this way on the years I don't do the full tear down.

Coffeenoobie

Tobb

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 4:07pm

Is there some English documentation out there? I found the Italian stuff. I have the bottom off but I am not sure which is the boiler probe? I am 99% sure on the drain but I would love a diagram that would make me 100%.

Thanks for the help coffeenoobie!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 4:49pm

The probe is the only one not attached to anything.

Coffeenoobie

Tobb

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 5:32pm

I got it drained. Now I am trying to get access to put cleaner in it to get that smell out. Is the boiler probe the only probe with one wire coming from it? Mine is red and its on the top of the boiler. Looks like the probe screws into another bolt that is screwed into the boiler? I unscrewed the first part and got access to the probe but not the boiler. Is the bigger bolt that the probe is in the middle of the one I need to remove to get access?

Thanks!
Dan

edit:
What I was messing with is the low water probe. That the wrong probe? I found the little simply schematic you have in your pics.

edit #2:
Could use the steam out line on the boiler? It looks like a simple compression fitting. Easy off and easy on. Could I pour solution in there?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 9:28pm

Any of them, the water sensor is normally easy to get to. But what ever works.  Use citric acid.

Coffeenoobie

Tobb

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 6:08pm

I got it descaled. Was really easy. I picked up the citric acid at my local indian grocery. There was no scale at all, which is a good thing, and what I expected. And the best part is the stench is gone! Thanks for the help!

Now I think I need a pump but I am not sure. I tried to make a shot, actually three, started with fine grind and got more and more coarse. It was taking 20 to 30 sec to get espressso to start coming out. Each time I was letting all the steam out first.

Then I removed the portafilter and just ran the oscar. I did this test several times. It was never consistence. I would start it and it would blow steam for a few sec to 10 sec. Then sometime it would stop putting anything out for 5 to 10 sec then put water out or it would shower properly then stop the start. If it showered properly for 10 to 15 sec then it would stop putting out water. There was one other stage that would randomly insert where there was water coming out but just 2 or 3 streams.

Is there a better more definitive test for the pump?

Thanks!
Dan
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 8:16pm

If your water is pulsing out steam you need a 6$ valve from Ns. I documented the thing here.  I can link it tomorrow.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Report back on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.344115018845)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+