Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Brewtus IV not consistently reaching maximum brew pressure
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brewtus IV not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
BrianEnos

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 4:57pm
Subject: Brewtus IV not consistently reaching maximum brew pressure

Background:
Six years of experience with a Brewtus II, before getting the Brewtus IV. I am extremely mechanically oriented, and am a master at elimating variables from a specific sequence of events. AKA: Captain Troubleshooter.

Grinder: Baratza Vario.
Coffee: David Schoomer's Vivace (used the same brand / type of beans for 7 years).
Tamper: Espro (30 lb. "breakaway")

I bought the Brewtus IV in May, 2013. Since I was moving from the Brewtus II, I figured I'd have the Brewtus IV dialed in pretty quick, which turned out not to be the case. I am unable to get consistent, maximum brewing pressure from it.

After grinding, packing and tamping, there is 16.4 - 16.6 grams of coffee in the portafilter, every time. With the Espro tamper, when the portafilter goes into the machine, from shot to shot, the dosed / packed shot as about as consistent as it can be.

Before making the first shot of the day, I'll run water through the brew group for about 15 seconds, or until the pressure steadies out at 2.5 - 3 bars.

Doing everything exactly the same every time, the machine brews with one of three distinct scenarios.

Scenario 1.
Perfectly: The coffee starts to come out at 10 - 12 seconds, then steadily sweeps up to the target brew pressure of 8.8 bars, producing an awesome double shot of 2 - 2.5 ounces in 25 - 28 seconds.

Scenario 2.
It never reaches maximum brew pressure. After about 10 - 12 seconds, instead of sweeping up to 8.8 bars, the pressure stops at 7 bars, and never goes any higher no matter how long you leave the pump running.

It is not a bad gage reading, because when the gage is at 7 bars, the pump sounds like it's still struggling (and the machine is strongly vibrating) - the pump does not have the nice, "smoothed out" sound like does when it is brewing at 8.8 bars.

Scenario 3.
The same as the second scenario, except for about after 25 - 28 seconds, the pressure goes from 7 bars to 8 - 8.2 bars (never reaching maximum pressure, not matter how long the pump runs).

During scenarios 2 and 3, there is never water leaking from the bottom of the brew group.

After several tech calls to wholelattelove, they finally realized I knew what I was talking about and had me send the machine in for repair. About 3 months after that, they returned the machine, and the ticket said the "pump assembly" had been replaced.

At first I thought the machine was actually fixed; once I dialed in the grind, the first 6 shots brewed perfectly, as desribed in scenario 1. But sadly, the machine began not consistently reaching maximum brewing pressure, as desribed in scenarios 2 and 3.

Scenario occurence percentages:
Scenario 1: 35 - 40%
Scenario 2: 50 - 55%
Scenario 3: 5 - 10%

After hundreds of shots - there is not a pattern as to which scenario will brew. It may brew 6 or 7 perfect shots in a row, then back to scenario 2 for a while. Or it may brew 2 or 3 scenario 2's, then one good one... No matter what I have tried, which scenario will brew is totally unpredictable.

At this point, I don't know what to do. I have a couple thousand dollars invested in this machine, and after 5 months, including sending it back for repairs, I cannot get a consistent shot out of it.

Any ideas, things to check, or things to try will be greatly appreciated.

Brian Enos
 View Profile Link to this post
fnacer

Espresso: Salvatore E61, Vivaldi Mini...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 11:48pm
Subject: Re: Brewtus IV not consistently reaching maximum brew pressure

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Have you observed the behavior of the machine when you you pull water through the grouphead with no portafilter in place? How about when you use a blind basket? Just trying to think of a way to eliminate unevenly ground (seven-year old) coffee beans from the list of suspects.
BrianEnos

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 11:16am

The coffee is only a week or two old. (I've been using the same brand / type of coffee for 7 years.)

With no portafilter or an empty portafilter, the brew pressure is 2.5 - 3 bars.

I thought of something new to observe / check today. I'll watch the water return tube (to the reservoir), and see if there is any difference for bewing scenarios 1 and 2.
BrianEnos

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 1:37pm

fnacer Said:

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!
How about when you use a blind basket?

Posted October 30, 2013 link

The pressure stops at 10 bars with a blind portafilter.
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 2:03pm

The symptoms are consistent with either a weak pump or more likely a restriction.
BrianEnos

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 2:17pm

jonr Said:

The symptoms are consistent with either a weak pump or more likely a restriction.

Posted October 31, 2013 link

Since wholelattelove said they replaced the pump assembly, where might there be a "restriction"?
fnacer

Espresso: Salvatore E61, Vivaldi Mini...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 6:28pm

Assuming you don't have a loose piece of scale that is lodged in one of the water lines and is shaped in such a way that it only restricts water some of the time, the most likely possibilities for an "obstruction" would be a failing overpressure valve or a failing three-way solenoid valve.

Watching the water return to the reservoir as you plan to do, will help you diagnose a flaky OPV. Watching the waste water tube from the 3-way valve for any water draining while you are pulling the shot will point to a misbehaving 3-way valve.
BrianEnos

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 3:13pm

fnacer Said:

Assuming you don't have a loose piece of scale that is lodged in one of the water lines and is shaped in such a way that it only restricts water some of the time, the most likely possibilities for an "obstruction" would be a failing overpressure valve or a failing three-way solenoid valve.

Watching the water return to the reservoir as you plan to do, will help you diagnose a flaky OPV. Watching the waste water tube from the 3-way valve for any water draining while you are pulling the shot will point to a misbehaving 3-way valve.

Posted October 31, 2013 link

Water never drains from the waste water tube during any shot.

I will keep an eye on the return line.
BrianEnos

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 3:18pm

For any Brewtus IV owners... please let me know how your machine compares to this...

With a blind portafilter, from the time I turn on the pump, it takes 8 - 11 seconds for the pressure gage to go past 4 bars, and from 12 - 13 seconds until it reaches max pressure of 10 bars.
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 6:54am

Friends Brewtus 4 had a similar problem, turned out to be a bad OPV. Was not as easy to get to as most other brand machines since the OPV and the pump aerator valve are connected, so he replaced both as one unit at the same time.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Brewtus IV not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.351138830185)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+