Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Beginner home barista
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Beginner home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Pagetta

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 9:47pm
Subject: Beginner home barista

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and new to the coffee scene, I'm really enjoying reading all the great information on this board.

The reason for this thread is to help me find some direction in terms of equipment for a beginner. I find myself constantly buying $5 latte's at my local coffee shop and I've had enough.

To help everyone help me, i'll provide some information. I can see myself making 1 espresso and 1 latte each day and having company over on the weekends, say 4 drinks on average per day +/- 2. My budget right now would be $500 but I'm aggressively saving for my new found interest so that number is going up slowly. From what i've read the Gaggia Classic is the way to go, I found THIS for sale locally and I'm also wondering what to look out for when buying a used machine and your opinion on this particular setup. Also, I'm very curious in other recommendations as well, I've seen a lot of Racilio Silvia vs Gaggia Classic thread. I may want to upgrade one day but right now I'm looking for something quality built that I can learn on.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 3:59am
Subject: Re: Beginner home barista

Welcome to the Forum! That ad is not a really good value, as that grinder is completely insufficient for grinding for espresso. The grinder matters far more than the machine, actually. Expect to pay a minimum of $250 for an electric grinder capable of a basic espresso grind. A good starter choice is the Baratza Preciso or Ascaso I1 or Lelit PL53. All will come in under $300 and are a good place to start.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 5:54am

I agree, that grinder may be OK for drip coffee but is not able to grind for espresso.
The combo price is too much for what you are getting.
Watch the BST forum for equipment that members are selling as they trade up. Most often it will be in very good to great condition, has been well taken care of and is a fair price for the item. Do your homework though, it is up to you, the buyer to know what things are worth and to not over pay. We can not offer any guarantee as to price or condition, that is strictly between you and the seller.

An example of the BST forum,
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell/647789
This is only for an example. It may or may not be a "great deal" I am only pointing you to the add as an example though that setup is able to produce espresso, unlike the add you linked to.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 8:02am

$5.00 ( a day ) x 30 ( days in a month ) x 12 ( months in a year ) = $1800.00  When you look at the savings you will recoup its simply amazing.
It was math like that which five years ago brought me to this machine and grinder,although it cost more then. Now there are a few more choices too.
Plus I was doing the math for a family of five. Of course you need to buy the coffee.
Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Shawn12
Shawn12

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Vario/Virtuoso...
Vac Pot: Yama 5/Balancing Siphon
Drip: Brazen
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 10:22am

Iluvdabean Said:

$5.00 ( a day ) x 30 ( days in a month ) x 12 ( months in a year ) = $1800.00  When you look at the savings you will recoup its simply amazing.
It was math like that which five years ago brought me to this machine and grinder,although it cost more then. Now there are a few more choices too.
Plus I was doing the math for a family of five. Of course you need to buy the coffee.
Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)

Posted October 29, 2013 link

Be careful about buyng new from a US dealer. That deal from Wholelattelove is good compared to Cdn prices but you will get nailed with $150 in duty for sure. So do the math first . You also get no warranty buying from them and shipping across the border.
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 11:04am

Pagetta Said:

From what i've read the Gaggia Classic is the way to go

Posted October 28, 2013 link

There are many possible ways to go and the Gaggia Classic is just one.  That grinder, as stated above, however is not the way to go.   As always, the grinder matters more.  $500 is going to be a bit tight for a grinder and the Gaggia Classic.
Pagetta

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 2:57pm

I appreciate everyone's input. I have come to the quick realization that everything in Canada is considerably more expensive than what is listed on American websites.

I will continue my research and reply back here when I come up with a few different setup possibilities I'm interested in buying, hopefully I can get everyone's input again.

Thanks!!
Shawn12
Shawn12

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Vario/Virtuoso...
Vac Pot: Yama 5/Balancing Siphon
Drip: Brazen
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 4:25pm

As you go up in price it seems to level out.  Cheapest you will find a new classic in canada is low $500 maybe $499 plus tax on sale if you are really lucky. In the US you can find in the $300's relatively easily with lower tax or taxes included. As you move up it seems to level out. The prices on say on any of the Rockets are very close. I have even seen them cheaper in Canada. Shocking I know.

Again I'm in your area and spend a lot of time just window shopping and going USED IMO is definitely worth it. This hobby seems to attract a certain personality type. And that type tends to like upgrading and is generally anal about taking care of their stuff. Usually pretty handy too so many used machines already have upgrades.

All good traits when buying something used. If you are patient and narrow down the machines you want you can generally get a good used machine at 50% of new.

Happy Shopping! It's almost half the fun of this hobby IMO. Always planning the next purchase.
As I see it my Speedster is about  5 years out.  Haven't told the wife yet. :-)
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 5:10pm

Its not a hobby for me and now that extends into my family,its more like a way of life. :)

Shawn12 Said:

As you go up in price it seems to level out.  Cheapest you will find a new classic in canada is low $500 maybe $499 plus tax on sale if you are really lucky. In the US you can find in the $300's relatively easily with lower tax or taxes included. As you move up it seems to level out. The prices on say on any of the Rockets are very close. I have even seen them cheaper in Canada. Shocking I know.

Again I'm in your area and spend a lot of time just window shopping and going USED IMO is definitely worth it. This hobby seems to attract a certain personality type. And that type tends to like upgrading and is generally anal about taking care of their stuff. Usually pretty handing too so many used machines already have upgrades.

All good traits when buying something used. If you are patient and narrow down the machines you want you can generally get a good used machine at 50% of new.

Happy Shopping! It's almost half the fun of this hobby IMO. Always planning the next purchase.
As I see it my Speedster is about  5 years out.  Haven't told the wife yet. :-)

Posted October 29, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Pagetta

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 5:31pm

I'm glad to hear how passionate some of you are. I hope my new machine opens a new door to something passionate as well.

I now have an opportunity to buy a used gaggia
Classic for $325. The current owner tells me the unit
is 4-5 years old and is original and not made by saeco, I'm not really sure what that means. What
do you guys think?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Beginner home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.403445959091)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+