Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Unused espresso machine
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Unused espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
GeorgeWaters

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 9:08pm
Subject: Unused espresso machine

My grandfather is a bankruptcy trustee and takes over and runs small businesses that have gone under. As part of one of these, he has a Breville BES900XL that has been sitting unused for who knows how long. He asked me if I could take a look at it - it looks like brand new (never used) on the outside. Any thoughts on what it might take to put it into service, or what might be wrong with it after sitting on a store shelf for several months if not longer? He's asked me to put a fair price on it, or to buy it myself if I'm interested (which I kind of am). Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 6:53am
Subject: Re: Unused espresso machine

A google search shows them at $1100 average price, new.

Breville is a home appliance maker, not known for quality espresso machines.
I would not have one at any price but that is me, I am interested in high quality espresso.

We have a few members who are Breville lovers, more power to them. The BDB has a rep of poor quality. Some members have had NO problems with them, on the other hand a lot are on the second, third or even fourth under warranty so YMMV.

A QUALITY grinder is MANDATORY for espresso, a starter grinder with a motor starts in the $300 range while reasonable grinders are around $500 and a lot of us have grinders at $1K+

Hand grinding can be done and you can get an acceptable espresso grind for under $100 if you do the turning work yourself.

A grinder is MORE important than the machine so do not even think about skimping on the grinder.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 6:56am

Let's assume the machine is in prime working order.  Considering it costs $1200 new, would your grandfather be comfortable charging you $800 for it? Are you comfortable giving him fair market value?
friendlyfoe

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 9:25am

calblacksmith Said:

I am interested in high quality espresso.

The BDB has a rep of poor quality.

Posted October 24, 2013 link

The bdb has a rep of extremely high quality espresso, but that many of their machines have had problems. You shouldn't be so general in your comments.

The bdb can be a great machine if it works. I wouldn't pay more than half of new if it was out of warranty, and that would be after seeing that everything did in fact work.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 11:01am

Doug, please do not correct me and I will not correct you, deal?

NO, I said what I meant to say.

I would not pay half of the list price for a new in the box one. In fact, like I said, I would not have one at all. Not even to sell as my morals will not let me sell something to someone that I know to be faulty and of poor quality.

I DID say that there were people that have had good luck with them, I feel that it is LUCK and nothing more. That is as much of a positive statement about it as I can give.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GeorgeWaters

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 1:10pm

crazy4espresso Said:

Let's assume the machine is in prime working order.  Considering it costs $1200 new, would your grandfather be comfortable charging you $800 for it? Are you comfortable giving him fair market value?

That's the question I'm trying to suss out. I really like the machine, but I'm not sure what sort of condition it is in after having sat unused for at least months. I'd be comfortable giving him fair market value if I had a sense of what (if any) repairs I would have to put into it to get it into service. Will it just be as easy as firing up a brand new one out of the box? Is there any way of hazarding a guess about that?
greglepore

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 1:47pm

I am a BDB fanboy, but even after 16 mths trouble free I wouldn't buy one without a warranty. Woot sold some refurbs a while back at 699, so I'd pay no more than that for the machine in question, and probably no more than 500 unless there was a warranty.

Breville has been exceptional about standing behind the machine, but I wouldn't blame any manufacturer for denying coverage on a machine of unknown origin in the retail market.

FWIW, the issues with the machine would have nothing to do with it siting idle-there have been some firmware bugs, and the o ring seals in the 3 way are a known weak point, and some users report issues with the hot water valve leaking.. The latest machines have upgrades to fix some of the weak points, but if yours has been sitting its likely a version A and maybe an early one at that.
GeorgeWaters

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 2:24pm

greglepore Said:

FWIW, the issues with the machine would have nothing to do with it siting idle-there have been some firmware bugs, and the o ring seals in the 3 way are a known weak point, and some users report issues with the hot water valve leaking.. The latest machines have upgrades to fix some of the weak points, but if yours has been sitting its likely a version A and maybe an early one at that.

Thank you. Good to know about the upgrades, that is not something I thought of. So I shouldn't be worried about the gaskets being dried out, or the O rings? or something else having degraded while the machine sat?
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 2:51pm

Does the bdb not have a shot counter?  I seem to recall a number of people posting the  number of shots they have pulled on their machine.  maybe you can find an online manual that shows how to pull this number up so you can see how much use it has had.

Edit: found it

With the power cord plugged IN & turned ON at the wall socket.
Machine OFF
Press & hold IN all four buttons simultaneously, Menu, Arrow Down, Arrow Up, Exit. While holding them all down, press the Power button
The LCD will now be in the Service Mode
There will be a single, double or even triple digit displayed. This is the number of shots over 7 secs, divided by 10. So if you had 12 on the LCD, this would mean you have pulled 120 shots longer than 7 secs.
LJSquishy

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 2:56pm

I just purchased a brand new one so I can't comment on long-term durability, but so far (only 2 weeks in) I love it. I will, however, be purchasing a Squaretrade warranty for it to be on the safe side. I only paid about $850 or so for it new after various discounts/cashback so for the machine you're asking about, I personally wouldn't want to pay more than $500 or so since you don't know it's entire history.

Every 200 shots the machine asks you to clean it with a little cleaning tablet so I wouldn't worry too much about what could be wrong with it. After about 5 years of normal use, it will ask you to send it into Breville for descaling. There are also inexpensive water filters you use (about $10/year). I would test out the machine before committing to buying it, but it probably works just fine. If you have any issues with it, I've heard Breville's customer service is pretty great with helping you even if it's out of warranty.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Unused espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.42653298378)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+