Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
cuban espresso with machines
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > cuban espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
og5744

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 12:49am
Subject: Re: cuban espresso with machines

russel Said:

I sort of hate to say this, but you might look into one on the commercial Nespresso solutions, although I'm not sure if they are available in the US at the moment.  

Your other option would be to find a roaster to sign on with who can provide training, support, and equipment at discounted prices or for free with a long term commitment.  Unless you're a dedicated coffee geek yourself or have a partner that's a barista (home or professional), I wouldn't attempt to add quality coffee to your offerings on your own.  I'm friendly with some guys who run a local artisan icecream shop here in LA.  They started out attempting to do some espresso for affogatos using a K10 and a higher end prosummer espresso machine.  Both they and their kit weren't ready to run at a commercial pace, so they scrapped it for about a year before picking it up again with the help of a coffee consultant.

If you want to make high quality coffee as a serious part of your business, you need to get some professional help.  Otherwise, a commercial super auto or capsule system might be lower cost, lower risk, and easier to integrate into your business' workflow.

Posted October 23, 2013 link

this is why initially i was drawn to the super auto but since you all say its crap and i pride myself in having the real deal ill continue to consider all my option
 View Profile Link to this post
og5744

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 5:36am

what im looking at now is something like this Click Here (www.ifyoulovecoffee.com)
machines like this run between 10-20k but i think its worth it if i can churn out 100 drinks a day it will pay for itself and more in less than a year. i know it wont make coffee good enough for you guys but like you guys said i need to focus on my demography and since im not going to be running a dedicated coffeeshop i dont think i could handle the extra work involved in making drinks from scratch and with a manual machine. something like this is basically 1 button and i think most high school students starbucks goers would be satisfied.
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 5:44am

You need to team up with a local coffee service provider and see what machines they carry and what they can service. Unless you can afford downtime, and enjoy learning all the intricate details of a superauto, scouring the internet for parts at 12am, and wrenching on the machine yourself, then teaming up with a service company is the only way to go.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 7:29am

RoyceRuiz Said:

Len, did you notice that he is wanting to use this machine in a commercial setting. I think that he wants to have a full espresso menu at his ice cream shop.

Posted October 23, 2013 link

I was speaking to his need for Cuban espresso. If he want to do high volume on that he just needs to get a few moka pots of varying sizes to be able to adjust to crowd size

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 10:05pm

The reason "Cuban espresso" is called "Cuban espresso" is because it's made with espresso from an espresso machine -- not made with espresso-like coffee from a Mokapot.  Not that you can't make pretty good "Cuban coffee" with a Mokapot and a commercial "Cafe Lation" like Bustelo -- but it's not the same thing and nowhere near the same quality as a well made Cuban espresso.  Furthermore, the thought of using Mokapots in a commercial setting makes me itch.

I'm not sure why you're drawn to superautomatics.  Perhaps you think they can do it all, without requiring anything from you beyond pushing a button.  Unfortunately, that is not the case.  On top of that, they're almost uniquely unsuited to Cuban espresso, in that Cuban espresso is either made with by putting demerara sugar into the pf's basket along with the ground coffee or by pulling a few drops of espresso onto some demerara sugar, mixing it into a paste, then finishing the shot.  Sadly, those are two things a super automatic can't do.  

Another thing a superautomatic can't do is make good espresso.  There are a lot of reasons why they're so limited; but start with this: Try and think of a worse place for a grinder and hopper than inside and just above a hot, steamy espresso machine.  Let me know when you come up with something.

If you want to sell swill, you're on the right road.  On the other hand, if you want to sell good coffee, it's going to require more from you.  If you're serious about selling espresso as part of your business you NEED to learn what's involved in making a decent product.  Pardon my bluntness, but it's clear you know precious little about the business of coffee or even pulling a shot.  Take a class or something.

BDL
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 12:05pm

Here is the correct way to make Cuban Espresso from world-renowned coffee aficionado and Bustelo expert Ken Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaV1DLDmCm4

;)

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

og5744

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 6:38am

k thanks everyone for your input
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 11:08am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Here is the correct way to make Cuban Espresso from world-renowned coffee aficionado and Bustelo expert Ken Smith.

Posted October 26, 2013 link

You and I have very different standards.  As far as I'm concerned NO way beginning with pre-ground coffee from is "THE CORRECT WAY."  I'll give you "stale, inexpensive beans prepared in a cheap, not-quite-espreasso pot;" but "correct" is a bit of a stretch.  Even "world-reknowned [which world?] coffee aficionado" Ken Smith was clear he was making "camp coffee," and not the real deal.

Also, what's a Bustelo expert?

BDL
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 11:35am

Show us a video of what you are talking about.  That video is what I am most familiar with.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 12:34pm

boar_d_laze Said:

You and I have very different standards.  As far as I'm concerned NO way beginning with pre-ground coffee from is "THE CORRECT WAY."  I'll give you "stale, inexpensive beans prepared in a cheap, not-quite-espreasso pot;" but "correct" is a bit of a stretch.  Even "world-reknowned [which world?] coffee aficionado" Ken Smith was clear he was making "camp coffee," and not the real deal.

Also, what's a Bustelo expert?

BDL

Posted October 27, 2013 link

LOL.  I dangled a hook and caught a sucker.  That was too easy.  I thought the ";)" would have given it away.

Len

showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > cuban espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.42991399765)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+