Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
cuban espresso with machines
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > cuban espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
og5744

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 4:04pm
Subject: cuban espresso with machines

hey everyone im looking at this machine here and i think the http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/titanium.cfm
and the portafilter is internal. how does one make an authentic cuban espresso where the sugar is added to the portafilter with these machines?
 View Profile Link to this post
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 4:42pm
Subject: Re: cuban espresso with machines

Unfortunately you will not get authentic espresso of any kind from that machine.  Super autos don't produce authentic espresso because it is not the typical 25 seconds of 9 bar pressure through a puck of ground and tamped coffee.  What a super auto produces is much more like what comes out of a pressurized portafilter.  If you want a super auto and sugar in the brewing process I suppose that you could put some in the bean hopper but that might damage the machine and gunk everything up.
og5744

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 4:48pm

thanks for the reply, im a complete newbie here im not even a coffee drinker im trying to open an ice cream shop and i want a respectable espresso menu. is there a machine you would suggest. this one caught my eye for ease of use and price, im open to price if its worth it but of course value is always a priority but not at the expense of quality
RoyceRuiz

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 4:57pm

Unfortunately I don't think that machine is commercial rated and it would not hold up for what you need.  You really would need to spend several thousand dollars to get a super auto that would meet your desires.  This site is really more focused on higher quality coffee than what you want (I think).  How many drinks per day are you looking to make (a range is fine)?
og5744

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 5:01pm

im going to guess now but ill say 75 its primarily an ice cream shop but if the coffee is good we might get a coffee crowd theres a starbucks just a minute walk away but im not sure people go to starbucks for good coffee but if someone did try to get a decent coffee maybe theyd come to me since i plan on upping the ante a bit
og5744

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 5:33pm

maybe in the beginning less but i think 75 is a benchmark goal for me. i dont understand your criticism of super automated is it really impossible to make high quality espresso with super automated?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 5:42pm

og5744 Said:

hey everyone im looking at this machine here and i think the http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/titanium.cfm
and the portafilter is internal. how does one make an authentic cuban espresso where the sugar is added to the portafilter with these machines?

Posted October 23, 2013 link

You may find that a simple moka pot will work for what you want.  I make Bustelo (a nickname for the cuban moka + whipped sugar concoction) all the time now with my moka pot and it comes out fantastic.  It is like what the cuban street vendors serve in parts of Florida.  Check out youtube for making it under search term "bustelo".

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RoyceRuiz

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 5:54pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

You may find that a simple moka pot will work for what you want.  I make Bustelo (a nickname for the cuban moka + whipped sugar concoction) all the time now with my moka pot and it comes out fantastic.  It is like what the cuban street vendors serve in parts of Florida.  Check out youtube for making it under search term "bustelo".

Len

Len, did you notice that he is wanting to use this machine in a commercial setting. I think that he wants to have a full espresso menu at his ice cream shop.
RoyceRuiz

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 5:59pm

og5744 Said:

maybe in the beginning less but i think 75 is a benchmark goal for me. i dont understand your criticism of super automated is it really impossible to make high quality espresso with super automated?

A super auto is not going to produce good espresso. I wouldn't ever order a coffee from one unless there were unusual circumstances. I think most in this community will agree with me. As far as producing something better than Charbucks, that shouldn't be too hard but you will want a commercial semi auto or full auto and a good grinder. For your size shop you should budget around $3,500 (or more) for machine and grinder.
og5744

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 6:37pm

the mocha pot is interesting... street venders use this? how does it rate against a high end machine in terms of espresso quality?
also do u guy have any suggestions for an ideal setup for me? espresso quality being foremost then ease of use and reliability
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > cuban espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.402525901794)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+