Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Baby Twin 2006 Interesting Problems
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Baby Twin...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
BraitheS
BraitheS
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 3:45pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Baby Twin 2006 Interesting Problems

YEah true why just stick one on there? I concur with the mass production boiler...
In other news, I was gonna throw my "need 100000 new seals" Ascaso out yesterday but thought there might be a few salvageable parts in it lol
 View Profile Link to this post
BraitheS
BraitheS

Posted Sun Oct 13, 2013, 3:43am

Hey guys

OK took it apart this arvo; couldn't find any wires to connect to the top thermostat so I'm thinking as someone said, it's probably cheaper to throw a thermostat on there on each BT rather than design and press a new boiler.

I took the solenoid out, ran water through it, stuck a paperclip in it, soaked it briefly in some citric acid/water mix. Still didn't do anything. I will have to do some more research about how those solenoids work; there seems to be a spring inside where you could push the middle down with a paperclip. Sometimes it would get stuck on the side of the chamber and you'd have to push it again to re-align it in the hole. THat might not make sense. .

So anyway I'll keep investigating; thanks for the comments.
b
BraitheS
BraitheS

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 5:49pm

Hi all

OK not sure if anyone is still reading this but anyway...

Last weekend took it apart again, checked all wiring etc. Kept the casing off and turned it on to operate it (no nothing happened, made sure it was all secure). I wanted to make sure water was flowing and everything OK. I also made sure the thermoblock heated up, which it did.

It appears the hot water and steam travel the same hoses - ie from the top of the boiler through the thermoblock and out the wand (controlled by knob).

Hot water works fine, though steam still doesn't and it won't pump anything out. There can't be a blockage because the hot water travels the same path. Therefore...

1 - Water isn't getting heated to steam temperature (thermoblock not hot enough?)
2 - Water nor steam are coming out wand when in steam mode, although pump is pumping water, ie presumably it should be from tank, into boiler and and through water line. I have cleaned the solenoid and when performing this test the water wasn't going back into the drain.

So it might be something really simple that I'm overlooking but I don't understand why nothing comes out because even if thermoblock temperature was stuffed, you'd think water would come through. Possibly electrical fault? With turbine?

Anyway that's all I can do. Was thinking about pulling the thermoblock out of my old Ascaso and trying it but not sure. I'd like to see if I can somehow dodgy up putting the internals of my Gaggia Espresso Deluxe inside the Baby casing, but that's another time.

Thanks
B
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 6:18pm

Did you already check the thermostat for the thermoblock?  (Sorry, I've lost track).

If you look at this Parts Diagram
Click Here (www.gaggiausersgroup.com)

It is Part 65 on page 4.
BraitheS
BraitheS

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 8:33pm

Hi mate

Yeah I've inspected it but not too sure about how to test it. I was thinking that could really be the only thing. But still, it doesn't answer the question of why no water comes out, even if the thermostat is broken. Either it's overheating and shutting off or something, or what does the turbine do? Could it be related to it restricting the water?
B
BraitheS
BraitheS

Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 5:07pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Baby Twin 2006 Interesting Problems - Now fixed

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK after a lot of um-ing and ah-ing, taking it apart again, figuring it wasn't the turbine, nailed it down to having to have to be the thermoblock. But I wasn't going to fork out $50 for a new one.

Beside, the thermoblock heated up. That left the thermal fuse. Someone somewhere (maybe on these forums) mentioned that a machine of sorts would cut the function out if the thermal fuse was blown. I tested it with a multimeter - DEAD. So I took off to the local electronics shop and got a $3.65 192 degree fuse. Installed it on the weekend, gave it a try....

STEAM!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm very proud of myself! I'm using my Baby Twin for espresso and steam and the steaming doesn't take long at all.

Now, in the hope of people finding this info, I'll either post it here or maybe start another thread.

Gaggia Baby Twin No Steam

Your problems might be:

Blown thermal fuse on thermoblock - test for continuity.
Blocked or broken thermoblock
Blocked or broken solenoid
Water leak from thermoblock tubing (post exists about this somewhere)

Thanks everyone for their help!
b
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 5:28pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Baby Twin 2006 Interesting Problems - Now fixed

Looking here  

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

what part?  19 on top, or a part on the thermoblock?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 5:56pm

If it was 19, how would he have been getting hot water from the brew group?
BraitheS
BraitheS

Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 8:23pm

Hey guys

No it's part 65 for the Baby Twin. It's the thermal fuse (diagram says thermostat) that goes across the thermoblock. Sorry if I used incorrect wording...

"THERMOSTAT 175 INTERCONTR.161471002"
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 8:37pm

Thanks for the clarification.  It will really help when someone reads it in a few months, or years.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Baby Twin...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.552891016006)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+