Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Please help an infidel pick the right birthday present for his wife!
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please help an...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
AndyK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 2:06pm
Subject: Re: Please help an infidel pick the right birthday present for his wife!

Burner0000 Said:

Well considering that she's a Breville fan I'd look into an upgrade like the Breville BES870XL (New Barista Express) or also considering your budget the Breville BES900xl (Dual Boiler).  The Barista Express is an all in one package, built in grinder, option to start simple and move into better coffee, looks pretty and will offer good micro foam.  The Breville Dual boiler would really blow her away if she knows how to prepare espresso and will require a good grinder.  

The Silvia.. :)  I've only seen and read about the Breville's.  I have owned the Silvia for over a year now and it's amazing.  

My recommendations..

Breville Barista Express BES870XL (Ease of use with good results, all in one package)
Rancilio Silvia + Grinder (Great results personally but not has a learning curve from using the cafe roma)
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL + Grinder  (Bigger and better, cafe quality, Breville's best machine)

Links are Amazon.com. They will ship to you or look into local suppliers for pick up.

Posted October 22, 2013 link

Thanks, these are the sort of recommendations I was looking for.  I keep hearing the Rancilio Silvia mentioned, but I read a number of reviews that say it gets rusty due to some construction flaws?  Or have those been ironed out in the newest models?

calblacksmith Said:

I suspect that the reason she does not make coffee with the machine at home is that it, how to say this?, ... isn't very good. Nothing you buy in a department store will be much worth considering, not for someone who wants to get into espresso. For a wedding gift yep they work fine but for serious use, you need to step up to the plate, as you have done by your budget.

I know that Breville is a local manufacturer to you but, the quality leave a bit to be desired. Supposedly they are working on it and we have a band of followers but I can not recommend the company, I just can't.

Posted October 22, 2013 link

That's the thing: we never bought that Breville ourselves.  It was a second-hand gift (ie, my parents bought a Nespresso for themselves and gave us their old Breville).  We both suspected that the machine isn't very good but because neither one of us is particularly brand/machine savvy we weren't sure if it was a case of the the machine being unreliable or if my wife just hadn't 'figured it out' properly (as opposed to the machine at her work, which she can make good coffees with a lot more reliably)

Thanks to the above comment, it's clearer thtat it's probably the former.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 5:42pm
Subject: Re: Please help an infidel pick the right birthday present for his wife!

The only rust issues I've read about the Silvia were at the lower part of the machine front, where it holds the drip tray.  I've owned 2 Silvias in the past (had two homes for a while), and neither of them rusted out.  One was sold to my best friend about 5 years or more ago, and he still has it.  I haven't heard him complain about rust at all.  The other one is at my brother-in-laws house.  I was there recently and didn't see any signs of rust.  Those reports I've read about, were easily remedied by brushing off the rust and then applying a rust-inhibiting paint, such as Rustoleum.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
friendlyfoe

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Oct 22, 2013, 5:44pm

AndyK Said:

At the moment at home we have an old Breville Café Roma, which looks pretty and is metal and everything, but she never actually uses it to make coffee - at most, to froth some milk that she has with an instant coffee, but I know she sees this as a poor substitute and she finds even the milk frother very hit and miss on this machine.

3) Though a big fan of good coffee, she doesn't drink all that much of it, and I don't drink it at all.  I don't think there's a need to be able to prepare vast quantities at short notice.

5) The 'look' of the machine is important - it needs to look nice on a countertop.

Posted October 21, 2013 link

So keep in mind the advice you're going to get here is from people who LOVE making espresso shots, and take joy in investing time from their day to make the perfect espresso. Does this sound like your wife? Is she going to want to spend time waiting for the machine to warm up, grinding, tamping, brewing, cleaning up etc, or would she be happier pressing a button and getting espresso?

I know when it comes to my parents my mom loves espresso but if it A) takes significant effort or B) makes anything resembling a mess she isn't the least bit interested. I'm thinking you should consider a super-automatic, run through the manuals setup once and from then on all you do is pour beans in the top and press a button. This sort of a machine will make good espresso, just not great espresso. Something to consider.

They picked up a 1500 dollar saeco for 700 dollars on sale and love it.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 11:18am

I don't like coffee an I did not drink expresso before I started making it eiither

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please help an...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.357449054718)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+