Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Water Choices Effect on Steaming
"My First Crack"
"Ask Me About My First Crack."  Tee Shirts in Black, White, or Grey.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Water Choices...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pShoe

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 5:38pm
Subject: Water Choices Effect on Steaming

Recently I changed my water from filtered tap water to Zephyrhills Drinking Water (their RO option).  I add bicarbonate sodium too to raise TDS and pH. I had to add slightly more bicarb than is instructed in this article to reach 78 ppm TDS, but I guess that is to be expect using water of different starting points. I'm just hoping as long as the final TDS is the same the pH levels will be around the same. My main reason for the switch was protecting the machine while not diminishing shot quality. Everything is great but the milk steaming.  

I was starting to get a handle of the milk steaming on my new machine, but after the water switch things have changed. The milk I use to produce was velvety and think, but now the milk is bubbly and thin. Besides the water I can't think of anything else that could have cause the sudden change. Anyone have a similar experience using post treated RO water and were there any solutions?
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 7:24pm
Subject: Re: Water Choices Effect on Steaming

Steam is water vapor, and should not carry much in the additives that you put in it. What kind of machine do you have? There are many times I thought it was some external variable (brand of milk, ambient temp, etc) that threw me off, but honestly steaming milk correctly is incredibly delicate and sometimes we just have bad streaks, even with expensive machines.
pShoe

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 8:00pm

I have the QM Vetrano 2B. Bad streaks do happen, but it went from consistently great microfoam to consistently bad microfoam.  And it is not just bad microfoam, but unusual microfoam. The bubbles are unlike anything I've seen before. The foam dissipates quickly to the point where it is basically regular milk by the time I'm pouring it into the espresso. I know RO/distilled water will leach ions from anywhere they can and was thinking that could be causing the problem. But since the water is spiked it seems where would be no ion leaching.  I'm no chemist so those are just my uneducated guesses. I'm going to switch back to my filtered tap for a bit to see if it eliminates the issue.
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Oct 20, 2013, 10:18am

stop using the bicarb, then see how it acts. If you want the tds to increase, add some tap water, bicarb needs to fully dissolve and then it will settle on the bottom of the boiler. it may build in concentration over time and then gum up the boiler.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Water Choices...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.386891841888)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+