Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Pure and Plastic-Water Contact?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Pure and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Rosalin

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 9:45am
Subject: Gaggia Pure and Plastic-Water Contact?

Hi--
I really would like to start making espresso and the Gaggia pure looks like a nice machine to start with based on geek reviews.

However, I did notice  a lot of plastic in the machine's design. It looks like the spout of the portafilter is made of plastic but could be easily replaced with a stainless steel spout.

Might any people experienced with the Gaggia Pure (or Gaggia machines in general) know where plastic-water contact occurs in this machine?

Thanks coffee-geek-ers!
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 10:08am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Pure and Plastic-Water Contact?

I sincerely hope your question is based on a worry about wear-and-tear or cleaning and not a tired cultural meme of plastic being somehow chemically harmful based upon inconclusive scientific studies. You will not find a single home machine made today that does not have substantial water/plastic contact. The reservoirs, teflon tubing, and even some of the fittings in the ULKA vibratory pumps are made of some kind of plastic. Have no fear and drink up. Salute.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 10:20am

Not entirely on subject, but I would recommend the Classic, only. Not based on plastic, but features and longevity. In the Gaggia line, mostly/only the Classic is recommended in the forums.  I cannot speak for the reviews.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Rosalin

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 3:45pm

It is a little of both, Markarian; if I choke my machine, I don't want it to melt!

I fear you might be right that my non-plastic-contact machine doesn't exist. Even the ROK looks like its water container is plastic. I do hope that someone can prove you wrong, though, all the better if the proof is priced around hte Pure's range.

Thanks D4F. Gaggia does get a lot of praise around here but I did not notice that the pure might be an exception to this until you pointed it out. Unless I'm missing something, I can't even find Gaggia Pure reviews on coffeegeek (which has worried me).

I know that this is a common question on this board, but it appears it is often asked on here by people without grinders. Since I already have my MDF, what's a good espresso machine to go with it in the under $300 range? Used is a no-no for me for a variety of reasons (I know geeks will be apt to recommend hunting down a used Classic or Silvia or something). Is the pure totally out of the question for making good espresso? My 'good', I should note, is a pretty low bar--I'm really just looking to equal/surpass a Starbucks doubleshot quality (and not get a plastic-y taste in the espresso).
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 4:26pm

Don't worry, none of the HOT water ever comes into contact with the plastic, so if you choke your machine it will just sit there, though best to turn it off before it runs too long.

Under $300 new and you already have an MDF? Let me show you this:

Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

Get these two, right under $300, and pick yourself up a 53mm Tamper from Amazon here:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

The bottomless portafilter is necessary because the Aroma comes with a pressurized portafilter that fluffs air into the coffee for a fake crema.

Done, and done. You'll have an adorable, tiny, REAL espresso setup at home. The Saeco Aroma/Classico/SIN015 is a fine little machine that has the same 15bar ULKA pump a machine ten times its price will. It won't make the most luxurious latte foam (nothing will under $1000), but it will get by and your shots will far exceed Starbucks if your beans are fresh, your grinder is decent, and your technique is good. I learned on these little Saecos before moving on to more expensive machines, and I still have a couple I've given to friends and family and still pull shots on them.
D4F

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 5:11pm

Under/at $300 here, but dealer refurb.  

Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)

D4F also at
Rosalin

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 6:20pm

D4F--thanks for pointing me to wholelattelove--looks like they have a lot of nice stuff/info. It is a pity that the Classics are out of stock though.

Markarian--thanks for the recommendation. But how exactly is that machine superior to the Pure besides in the exterior shell? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought both had 15 bar pumps? Is a 58mm PF not more desirable than a 53? And isn't the Pure's PF already not pressurized? Perhaps all it needs is chrome spouts? Or are the innards a lot better in the Saeco in other ways? I really like your assurance that at least the Saeco will be better than Starbucks though...

(This probably deserves a separate thread but) I did come across the Rosco espresso devices. Would they produce superior espresso compared to the Pure or Aroma, or even Classic (assuming theyre paired with the MDF or even with their matching Rosco grinder)? I really like the idea of being able to control temperature and even pressure, something that (again please correct me if I'm wrong on this) you can't do with any of the other three machines. And, of course, it looks like the water only touches the brass in their models. I might be willing to splurge on these as they are so portable and might kill a number of birds with one stone for me...
D4F

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 10:24pm

You could call WLL and ask about when in stock.  I have Holiday sales, and that is not so far away.  The Classic is the only usual Gaggia recommendation.  Most ULKA vibratory pumps in these machines are 15 bar capable.  58mm is normal commercial size and is easiest to replace, find bottomless, and baskets for.

Most single boiler dual use SBDU machines are best with an added PID controller of temperature.  Saeco, Gaggia, Silvia... are all better with PID controller.

D4F also at
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Oct 19, 2013, 12:36pm

IMHO, Gaggia classic would be a good starter machine with good support in the on line community and easy to get parts. I would not want one of their cheaper models.  Personally, I would want a CC1 if I had to get a single boiler. But that is over your stated budget.  I realize you don't want to get used but you might consider a CC1 used for your budget as they are $700 new.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Pure and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377336025238)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+