Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Different grades of filter basket holes?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Different grades...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 9:17am
Subject: Re: Different grades of filter basket holes?

boar_d_laze Said:

There are limits to the quality of coffee you can consistently pull from a Gaggia Classic, largely due to temp related phenomena.  
BDL

Posted October 18, 2013 link

Once upon a time maybe :)  No offense meant, and just to complete the disabuse, I can get a flat intrashot temperature, or adjust to desired drop with Gaggia Classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluei1-IkTw

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
jonr

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 11:01am

I'll second that, using either temperature surfing (like a HX) or the variety of modifications available (some providing better temperatures control than $5K machines).

I'll add that "30 seconds" is a much better guideline than something like "shot time isn't meaningful".  

http://www.podmerchant.com/coffee/complexity-of-coffee.pdf

That some non-VST baskets suffer from undersized holes is not surprising.

http://www.espressoparts.com/PortafilterBaskets

On the other hand, if you order several baskets at the same time (or more precisely, manufactured with the same punch at the same time), I would expect them to be quite consistent with each other.
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 5:29pm

Before VST came along with their baskets every basket I had needed grind adjustment to give similar results which made using multiple baskets a waste during a session since the grinder needed adjustment. Now with VST/Strada and some other baskets it is easy to use a ridge less basket of the same size for doing multiple back to back shots with no grinder adjustment and get very similar results.

I have many older baskets from the same manufacture that require radical grind adjustments to get a similar pour, size and shape of the holes from the same manufacture is very noticeable and I had my favorites while others went in the trash. Now I have many VST and others, Precision triples being my favorites, that allow me basket changes with no grind adjustments when using the same size, this is great for a party since I can prep 3 baskets and bang out 3 shots, steam the milk, and have all three drinks built and served in under 5 min.

If not serving tons of drinks in a short period of time is a concern then VST baskets might not show much improvement over a favorite basket you have dialed in. Dialing in a basket you like that works well is going to give results, a VST is not going to improve this from shot, to shot, to shot, at least at first. Over time the VST when you get it dialed in to the window it likes it will give very consistent results since it requires prep work to be precise, if it is not the results can vary drastically. Being consistent is the nature of the beast when doing espresso, with a grinder up to the task the distribution of grinds needs to be clump free and evenly distributed, and the tamp needs to be level with a consistent amount of pressure. Poor construction of baskets IMO resulted in poor baskets prep from millions since no matter how well they prepped the basket poured quicker in one area, hence the lack of good espresso through out the world!
jonr

Posted Sat Oct 19, 2013, 8:06am

germantownrob Said:

Being consistent is the nature of the beast when doing espresso

Posted October 18, 2013 link

That's worth repeating.  I'd get a small scale for weighing dose and a larger one (like a mail scale) for measuring tamp pressure.  That's what I do, even though I have a flow profiling machine that will mostly compensate for such things.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Different grades...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.339995145798)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+