Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
First espresso machine, just 1-3 coffees a day. Which one?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > First espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
consenso

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 5:19am
Subject: First espresso machine, just 1-3 coffees a day. Which one?

Hi to all, I am Renato from Italy. First of all I m sorry  for my little english, I hope to be good in write what I would. I would like to buy my first espresso machine but there are some "problems":

1) I don't want spend too much money and this is a very big problem.
2) I will make just 1-3 coffees a day and I would like the quality will be near a good espresso I can drink in a cafè. I can say 50% coffees and 50% cappuccino.
3) Cause I like cappuccino I would like to buy a machine let me to have a good steam to make "latte cream" and not just big bubbles.
4) The last one is the biggest. I don't think it's possible to have all the features I wrote spending little money.

The budget is under 1000€.

Now do you think the best configuration spending the less money is: Bacchi Espresso 300€ (for the only coffe) and Bellman CX25S for steam (around 60€)?

Honestly I would like to buy an E61 group Machine just because I like the beauty of these machines, but do you think with my budget is not possible to find a good one?

Another question, what are the specs I have to consider for to understand why a machine costs 1000 instead another one costs 300, for example Gaggia Classic costs 300, Quick Mill SIlvano costs 1000, Lelit PL041 costs 500. They are all with vibration pump, so what are the differences?

I hope you could help me. Thank you to everyone.
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 6:50am
Subject: Re: First espresso machine, just 1-3 coffees a day. Which one?

For your budget it may be hard to find a new machine with an E61 brew head.  Used maybe.  I'd honestly look into buying used if you want something that includes an E61.  New machines your options are only single boiler's and entry level HX machines.  If your willing to sacrifice not having an E61 then you can get a solid single boiler that will suite your needs.  Do you have a grinder?  

Some good single boiler machines..

Crossland CC1, Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia Classic, Ascaso Dream, Lelit PL41EM, Quick Mill Silvano

Other machines to consider..

HX machines..

Nuova Simonelli Oscar, Quick Mill Alexia, Quick Mill Anita

Dual boiler..
Breville BES900XL Dual Boiler

These are some ideas.  If you don't have an espresso grinder you will need a decent one.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
friendlyfoe

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 8:47am

consenso Said:

Honestly I would like to buy an E61 group Machine just because I like the beauty of these machines , but do you think with my budget is not possible to find a good one?

Another question, what are the specs I have to consider for to understand why a machine costs 1000 instead another one costs 300, for example Gaggia Classic costs 300, Quick Mill SIlvano costs 1000, Lelit PL041 costs 500. They are all with vibration pump, so what are the differences?

Posted October 14, 2013 link

Wouldn't we all! Ideally i would like an E61 HX machine for 500 bucks but unfortunately they start around 1700 usd.

Near me gaggia classic and the lelit are around the same price so not sure why you're seeing such a big difference.

The quick mill silvano is a bit of a unique machine "Excellent Temperature Control Quick Mill Silvano has an excellent temperature control with its PID controller. It has a boiler for coffee and a thermo block for steam, each with its own pump." So instead of switching a single boiler from brew/steam it has a boiler dedicated to brewing as well as a thermoblock thats dedicated to steam. If you are looking for high quality lattes you would probably be better off with a single boiler.

I'm also under the impression that the ascaso dream is a thermoblock machine? or does it also have a boiler/thermoblock combo?

Personally im in about the exact same boat finances wise. I think i'm going to try to find a used gaggia classic, and save my pennies to eventually get the machine i would really like. Rather than buying something expensive in the middle and never truly being happy with it. That being said if looks arent super important the nuova oscar might be exactly what you're looking for (minus the e61).
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 8:51am

consenso Said:

I will make just 1-3 coffees a day and I would like the quality will be near a good espresso I can drink in a cafè.

It's not just a matter of the machine but the grinder, the beans and your skill.

What grinder are you thinking of using?

consenso Said:

Honestly I would like to buy an E61 group Machine just because I like the beauty of these machines, but do you think with my budget is not possible to find a good one?

There are plenty of good machines to choose from.  However, you need to consider all the costs and that's going to include a grinder.

consenso Said:

You definitely cannot compare just based on the type of pump.  The specs for each machine are available online to compare.  For me to compare for you I have to look them up just as you would.  The Classic and the PL041 are both single boiler machines.  Classic has a smaller boiler.  The Silvano has a boiler for brewing and a thermoblock for steam as well as a PID for temperature control.

friendlyfoe Said:

Near me gaggia classic and the lelit are around the same price so not sure why you're seeing such a big difference.

There are a few miles and a bit of water between Toronto and Italy. ;-)
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 9:13am

Oscar and a used Super Jolly. There is used Oscar in BST though i know nothing about it or the seller.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
consenso

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 2:24pm

In Italy Gaggia Classic costs around 230-250 € instead a Lelilt PL 41 Plus T costs around 500-600€.

Here I asked just about coffee machine but I know I have to buy also a very good coffee grinder.

Maybe I don't know about E61 group, but for example an Isomac Zaffiro costs around 845€, Bezzera Unica PID costs 900€ and both have E61 group.

Do you think they are not good machines?

I would like to show a video by youtube. This man edited his machine a cheap Ariete Caffè Roma Deluxe and you can look the results, do you think is it a good job and is it possible do the same modification in each machine?

here the coffe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REWuEBBlmFA

here the steam power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ6brkkjm8w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qagu2xv20g
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 2:28pm

I did not realize you were still in Italy so that change a bunch of things and means I really cant speak to your situation much. If I were in Italy I think I would have to find and restore and Faema E-61 just for the "cool" factor.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
consenso

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 2:46pm

I am Italian and I live here in Italy, if you are asking why I write in a not italian form the reason are 2, the first one is because in Italy (it's strange) but people think the best coffee machine is Mokona Bialett (my mother is one of them), the second one is because in Italy doesn't exists a forum for espresso lover.

To be honest I don't like the Faema E61 :) but I was considering also a Faema Carisma.

So what do you think about machines I wrote?
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 3:25pm

I don't really have any first or second information on either those but I am sure someone more familiar will answer. I do however have a mocha pot, somewhere ;)

If I can ever find a two group E-61 that needs a rebuild here in the states I would love to convert it to a double boiler setup. It defies all logic both practical and fiscal but it would be fun.

Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 5:15am

consenso Said:

In Italy Gaggia Classic costs around 230-250 € instead a Lelilt PL 41 Plus T costs around 500-600€.

Here I asked just about coffee machine but I know I have to buy also a very good coffee grinder.

Maybe I don't know about E61 group, but for example an Isomac Zaffiro costs around 845€, Bezzera Unica PID costs 900€ and both have E61 group.

Do you think they are not good machines?

I would like to show a video by youtube. This man edited his machine a cheap Ariete Caffè Roma Deluxe and you can look the results, do you think is it a good job and is it possible do the same modification in each machine?

here the coffe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REWuEBBlmFA

here the steam power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ6brkkjm8w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qagu2xv20g

Well if your willing to spend the money on one of these I would. :)
"Isomac Zaffiro & Bezzera Unica"
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > First espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.424571037292)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+