Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 146 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (2) Olympia Creminas - '83 &...
Grinder: Four hand grinders and two...
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 11:09am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

CarloM Said:

SpaceTime - don't stress too much about the machine. You know it's only a stopgap until you can save up to buy the new single group Kees Van Der Westen Speedster anyway!

Posted December 20, 2013 link

Yep, just gotta go sell the SO on that idea!  How did you know I was headed for that one?  LOL

And no stress, I am actually enjoying the heck out of this - I am learning so many new things! Anyway, I love the journey more than the destination in most anything I do... and the learning about all the cool gadgets, toys in the Espresso world is cool to me!!  Kinda twisted, eh?
 View Profile Link to this post
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Sat Dec 21, 2013, 12:15pm

SpaceTime: having been where you are just a few months ago, let me list the reasons I went with the V2B over the MVII, some of which won't be relevant anymore (such as the discount), some of which is highly personal/subjective.

Personal/Subjective/Now Irrelevant Reasons I went with V2B
  • Pre-sale discount on the V2B. Now it's $2295 I believe, but for those of us who preordered it was $2150, hence only $150 more than the MVII
  • Aesthetics - highly personal preference. I like the stainless steel. Others like the more reserved look of the MVII.

Reasons why I went with the V2B
  • Option to plumb or tank - with the Vivaldi line you have to choose one or the other
  • E61 tried-and-true brew group with 58mm portafilter - I had already invested in a bottomless portafilter, a really nice tamper, and a VST 18g basket, all of which were 58mm, and the Vivaldis use a 53mm (also harder to find/less available accessories for 53mm)
  • Dual PID settings - Dave explains it better earlier in the thread, but QM's implementation of dual PID settings for both brew and steam boilers gives near pressurestat performance from the steamer. This makes the steam power of the V2B land between the Vivaldi and say the Alex Duetto III.
  • Vertically mounted motor - as Dave explains if there is a leak, the motor is safe from water damage
  • Rotary pump - while this may be the cause of the cavitation noise, at some point I plan to plumb it in and wanted to have this. With the Vivaldis you have a rotary for the plumbed version and a vibratory with the tank version
  • Easily adjustable brew pressure via side panel
  • Dave mentions the parts are easy to fix should anything go wrong, and are standard parts that aren't super-expensive, so if you're handy with tools, it's home-repairable, especially after warranty expires (not sure if this is true with the MVII). Since I plan to have this machine for ten years or more (knock on wood) and am comfortable working on machinery, this was important to me.

Reasons I was tempted to purchase the MVII
  • More powerful steam (though as I mentioned earlier once I settled on the 2-hole tip I have no problems getting good microfoam out of the V2B so this proved to be a non-issue for me)
  • Front facing water reservoir. I put sliders on my V2B feet because I have to rotate it to fill the tank due to kitchen cabinet height. This would be a non issue if I had higher cabinets or a dedicated espresso cart/table setup. As it is the tank is large enough that I only have to do this once a week, so it's not a big deal.

Known issues with V2B
  • The cavitation sound, for those who are using it in tank mode. Both CCS and Dave assure us it's not going to harm the machine, and it doesn't happen to everyone. It's level of annoyance will depend on you, should it happen.
  • The 2-hole tip that was shipped in error in the first batches, since replaced by the 4-hole CCS designed tip, is the superior steaming tip for a lot of us.

All in all, I think I made the right purchase for me. Within a month or so after I purchased the Silvia a few years ago, I knew that machine was decent for its price, but that I would be upgrading as soon as finances allowed. Now I know I have a machine that will keep me happy for many years (assuming it remains functioning). The only time I would even consider an upgrade is if I get a major change in financial status (double/triple my salary, win the lottery, etc.) and I'll get a Speedster or Slayer.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Dec 21, 2013, 2:13pm

CarloM Said:

...All in all, I think I made the right purchase for me. Within a month or so after I purchased the Silvia a few years ago, I knew that machine was decent for its price, but that I would be upgrading as soon as finances allowed. Now I know I have a machine that will keep me happy for many years (assuming it remains functioning). The only time I would even consider an upgrade is if I get a major change in financial status (double/triple my salary, win the lottery, etc.) and I'll get a Speedster or Slayer.

Posted December 21, 2013 link

I agree with most everything you said except I do like the 2 hole tip best. If steam power is what a person wants, I can't imagine the V2B with the 4 hole tip not being enough for you. The 4 hole tip is so fast I barely have time to work on my technique before the milk is to 150F. I would probably be more eager to use the 4 hole tip if I was steaming a larger quantity of milk at one time. I usually steam about 5 oz so the two hole tip is great for me. I do believe the occasional noise from the pump is a solvable issue, but I haven't been worried enough about it to worry with it.

I do know that for the first time since I got back into making espresso at home 2.5 years ago, I really have no desire to upgrade. I would, of course, love to have a Speedster or Slayer, but I doubt I will ever have an income that would allow me to think it is ok to spend that much for a table top appliance for me to have coffee... but you never know... I might win the lottery some day!!!
SpaceTime

Espresso: (2) Olympia Creminas - '83 &...
Grinder: Four hand grinders and two...
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Sat Dec 21, 2013, 3:36pm

Carlo - Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to lay out your thought process - any data helps!  

I am going offline for a couple of days as I have family I town - it will be nice to not think about my machine choice for a while LOL - but when I get back I will tell you where my head is at and respond in detail.

Bottom line - if I ended up with a V2B or VII Mini  - I am confident I would end up with a quality machine that I would have for years to come.  So it comes down to the one I like to look at, work at, and enjoy using the most!. They are all quality machines.

Cheers Carlo - Happy Holidays to you and yours!!
lowellw2

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Dec 21, 2013, 6:02pm

For those that may find the standard plastic panels of the Vivaldi less than appealing you might check out the custom wood panels for the Vivaldi's at Clive Coffee.  They are on the other side of the continent but their machines come from CCS. The wood on a GS3 looks pretty good also.  Just a thought.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Dec 21, 2013, 6:32pm

lowellw2 Said:

For those that may find the standard plastic panels of the Vivaldi less than appealing you might check out the custom wood panels for the Vivaldi's at Clive Coffee.  They are on the other side of the continent but their machines come from CCS. The wood on a GS3 looks pretty good also.  Just a thought.

Posted December 21, 2013 link

good point!!
ECM
ECM

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 6:05am

Hello and happy holidays everyone!

Just a quick question:

I received my Vetrano about three weeks ago.  I find that the stock steam tip is not suitable for steaming smaller quants of milk.  Iím told that this tip from CCS will work better:

https://www.chriscoffee.com/No-Burn-2-Hole-Steam-Tip-p/ot0980sv.htm

Iím assuming then that the current stock tip can be unscrewed from the wand?  I tried to do this using my fingers but it wouldnít budge.  Can someone suggest a way to loosen the tip without damaging it or the machine?  

The tip I selected; is this what most of you are currently using and if so, does it work well?  

Thank you,

Rob
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Zevi

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 7:49am

ECM Said:

Hello and happy holidays everyone!

Just a quick question:

I received my Vetrano about three weeks ago.  I find that the stock steam tip is not suitable for steaming smaller quants of milk.  Iím told that this tip from CCS will work better:

https://www.chriscoffee.com/No-Burn-2-Hole-Steam-Tip-p/ot0980sv.htm

Iím assuming then that the current stock tip can be unscrewed from the wand?  I tried to do this using my fingers but it wouldnít budge.  Can someone suggest a way to loosen the tip without damaging it or the machine?  

The tip I selected; is this what most of you are currently using and if so, does it work well?  

Thank you,

Rob

Posted December 29, 2013 link

Rob -- first, congratulations on the new "tool"! (never refer to an espresso machine as a "toy"...)  You are now on track for a truly Happy New Year!

Second, the tip you show seems to be the same as the stock one. How is it different?

Frankly, I think it's a matter of practice. I use the original 2-hole tip to steam successfully even small amounts for Macchiato. It's the 4-hole tip that they sent which I find unusable. To replace the tip simply wrap it with a rag and use a pair of pliers and have a good grip. It's just the initial "sticking" you need to release. To put it back on use fingers only. Once I took it off first time, the pliers were not needed again.

Good luck and best wishes!
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:15pm

Zevi Said:

Rob -- first, congratulations on the new "tool"! (never refer to an espresso machine as a "toy"...)  You are now on track for a truly Happy New Year!

Second, the tip you show seems to be the same as the stock one. How is it different?

Frankly, I think it's a matter of practice. I use the original 2-hole tip to steam successfully even small amounts for Macchiato. It's the 4-hole tip that they sent which I find unusable. To replace the tip simply wrap it with a rag and use a pair of pliers and have a good grip. It's just the initial "sticking" you need to release. To put it back on use fingers only. Once I took it off first time, the pliers were not needed again.

Good luck and best wishes!

Posted December 29, 2013 link

I agree with Zevi!  I found the 4 hole tip was crazy fast for steaming and I couldn't get good micro foam no matter what I tried!  So, I went back to the 2 hole tip and found I can make great micro foam, every time!  I am a happy espresso/latte drinker once again!  YRMV, but for me . . . it will be the 2 hole tip from now on!!  Enjoy!!
ECM
ECM

Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 7:13pm

Thanks guys for your help.  

The tim I currently have is the 4 whole tip that ships with the Vetrano from CCS.  The one I ordered is the two whole tip I think you guys are referring to.  I actually managed to take off the tip today using my fingers and a damp cloth.  

I'm hoping the new 2 whole works better because the 4 whole is useless for the home environment.  

Thanks again,

Rob
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 146 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.43240904808)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+