Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 120 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 3:03pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

SStones Said:

If it is seriously not in there, anywhere, someone may have removed it to either run the element directly off of the pressostat or to replace it with a better relay.

Posted October 4, 2013 link

These pictures may help.

It looks like this

or integrated with the pressurstat

As mentioned, I will confirm that some 220 volt Cuadra machines will not have this relay and voltage wires will run directly to the pressurstat.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
elliottrosenberg

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 8:29pm

Thanks for that guys.

There is definitely no relay on the front panel or on top of the pressure stat.

Does this mean the board has gone? If so, is this a job I can do myself?

Elliott
 View Profile Link to this post
beanfranklin

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 8:00am

Hello and hep. I have a Cuadra purchased a couple of years ago. It has always worked great. I back flush daily when turning off the machine. I regularly back flush with JoeGlo. I use filtered water and descale a couple of times a year. 4-5 double shots per day, except for June-September when we are out of town. When I left town in June, it was working great. Machine is not on 24/7 - more like 4 hours per day. Anyway, when I returned to town a few days ago, the machine wasn't working quite right. It takes an exceptionally long time to pull a shot, and the pump, sounding normal at first, sounds like it is almost stalling further into the shot - and the puck is very wet (used to be much drier). All other variables (grind, dose, coffee, etc.) are the same as before. The pressure gauge on the front reads around 14-15 bar (as it always has). Any ideas? I'm no expert, and have never had this machine apart. If it helps, I descaled right before I left town in June. I am in the USA - 110V, if that matters.

Thanks.

Scott
pfn

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 3:09pm

Easy mod, I happened to be in Lowes today and found this in one of the electrical parts bins:

Get rid of that crappy, plastic power switch. Use this Click Here (www.lowes.com)

Costs $4.75, like 1/10th the price of the official replacement, and is a drop-in part. All threads, connectors, and hole sizes are identical. I used the original, threaded mounting ring as opposed to the one that came with the switch.

It looks like this:

pfn: IMG_20131006_145724[2].jpg
(Click for larger image)
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 3:52pm

elliottrosenberg Said:

There is definitely no relay on the front panel or on top of the pressure stat.
Does this mean the board has gone? If so, is this a job I can do myself?
Elliott

Posted October 4, 2013 link

Alright. Sorry to be misleading, I will trust in Jim's wisdom that some of the 220V machines may not have sacrificial relays. I have never touched a 220V Cuadra.

The control board does nothing but control the auto-fill of the boiler on the 120V Cuadras, and I expect the same is true of your 220V...  The barely heating issue is most likely that your pressostat is failing. It could be the element.  
If you have an ohm-meter, measure the resistance across the element when cold (Should be between 20 and 35, I am guessing). And measure the resistance across the pressostat (Should be less than 0.5 ohms when cold. The closer to 0 the better).
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 3:56pm

beanfranklin Said:

Anyway, when I returned to town a few days ago, the machine wasn't working quite right. It takes an exceptionally long time to pull a shot, and the pump, sounding normal at first, sounds like it is almost stalling further into the shot - and the puck is very wet (used to be much drier). All other variables (grind, dose, coffee, etc.) are the same as before. The pressure gauge on the front reads around 14-15 bar (as it always has). Any ideas? I'm no expert, and have never had this machine apart.
Scott

Posted October 5, 2013 link

I think you're just stalling the pump with too fine a grind. The humid weather may be needing you to adjust the grinder a little coarser.
Pressure gauge on the front is showing boiler pressure. Probably 1.4-1.5 Bar... A little high in some opinions, but not likely to cause a flow issue with your brew circuit.  Before changing anything else, run three or four pulls at a coarser grind.
beanfranklin

Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 7:21am

SStones Said:

I think you're just stalling the pump with too fine a grind. The humid weather may be needing you to adjust the grinder a little coarser.
Pressure gauge on the front is showing boiler pressure. Probably 1.4-1.5 Bar... A little high in some opinions, but not likely to cause a flow issue with your brew circuit.  Before changing anything else, run three or four pulls at a coarser grind.

Posted October 6, 2013 link

Thanks for the reply. I just looked at the scale on the gauge again -- I think I was reading the psi scale on the boiler pressure gauge. Bar reading is 1.0 - 1.1 -- is that too low? It is the same as it has been since day 1, and always worked great till recently. I'll try the coarser grind.
1stline
1stline

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 7:48am

beanfranklin Said:

Hello and hep. I have a Cuadra purchased a couple of years ago. It has always worked great. I back flush daily when turning off the machine. I regularly back flush with JoeGlo. I use filtered water and descale a couple of times a year. 4-5 double shots per day, except for June-September when we are out of town. When I left town in June, it was working great. Machine is not on 24/7 - more like 4 hours per day. Anyway, when I returned to town a few days ago, the machine wasn't working quite right. It takes an exceptionally long time to pull a shot, and the pump, sounding normal at first, sounds like it is almost stalling further into the shot - and the puck is very wet (used to be much drier). All other variables (grind, dose, coffee, etc.) are the same as before. The pressure gauge on the front reads around 14-15 bar (as it always has). Any ideas? I'm no expert, and have never had this machine apart. If it helps, I descaled right before I left town in June. I am in the USA - 110V, if that matters.

Thanks.

Scott

Posted October 5, 2013 link

Test without the water softener atatched and make sure there is enough water int he reservoir as the hose will not reach bottom.

If problem goes away, then make sure to recharge the water softener every month minimum.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
elliottrosenberg

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 5:38pm

Thanks for the reply Jim and Steve.

Will give it a try and keep you all posted
beanfranklin

Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 12:27pm

1stline Said:

Test without the water softener atatched and make sure there is enough water int he reservoir as the hose will not reach bottom.

If problem goes away, then make sure to recharge the water softener every month minimum.

Posted October 7, 2013 link

I will try that in the morning, thanks. I do recharge the softener every month, but it had been sitting for four months, so maybe that had something to do with it.
showing page 120 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.446503162384)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+