Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Baby Twin 2006 Interesting Problems
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Baby Twin...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
BraitheS
BraitheS
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 7:31pm
Subject: Gaggia Baby Twin 2006 Interesting Problems

Hey guys

OK I've got a Baby Twin 2006; it joins my collection of other Gaggia's, Seaco's and an Ascaso Arc (you thought you could have to many seals in one machine?)

To summarise (before you read on):

1 - No steam (all other functions OK)
2 - Water from brew head HOT AS

I have also thoroughly searched this site and other forums to no avail!

I picked up the Baby Twin particularly cheap; after initial check, it was running water through brew head fine, water running through steam wand, but no steam. It would give an occasional splutter of water. I pulled it down, removing the boiler and soaking it in some descale overnight. Gave the boiler and group body a good scrub and put it all back together (it had a bit of scale but nothing major). Put it all back together, everything work as per before, no steam though.

This week I took the cover off and undid stuff to inspect the thermoblock; all wires etc seemed connected correctly, though made sure. Still no change. BTW as noted on some other forums, I don't have any leaks. Internally is actually quite good, though wondering if it was bumped or knocked over as one of the plastic legs that holds the PCB rack inside is broken off.

Got some citric acid and mixed 1-2 tablespoons/1L water, and ran it through, leaving 15 minutes between each. Ran water back through brew head and steam wand. Interestingly enough I got a tiny bit of steam, which increased as I did the flush again but with less citric acid. I noticed that if I ran water through the brew head first, then tried steam, I'd have a bit more luck. But I still can't get a bit of steam for more than a few seconds. In those instances I think the pump would constantly do the low volume thud-thud-thud, whereas other times it went a loud gug-gug-gug (pause) gug-gug-gug (pause) etc.

Something else I noticed - usually after trying to run steam off, I go to run water out of the brew head; as the pump starts it dribbles a bit, then something kind of "clicks" inside and the water starts pumping normally (might tie in with my next few comments).

I'm not a technician but this is my guess of how the water and steam run (correct me if I'm wrong...): tank - pump - boiler - brew head (espresso), or tank - pump - boiler - thermoblock for steam - wand. Not sure about the hot water.

Today I've successfully made espresso out of it, however the steam problem still remains. But the other problem - After taking the portafilter out, a bit of water dropped on my hand from the brew head. It was HOT, like on the verge of boiling. I've never had something so hot come out of the brew head. Considering my guestimation of how the system runs (above), I was thinking it's getting mixed up somewhere with the water temperature coming out the brew head REALLY HOT.

I have the Espresso Deluxe I'm willing to sacrifice if it's a thermostat that needs replacing (if the same temp). Other than that could it be the solenoid?

Thanks for reading my long-winded explanation!
B

P.S. Can anyone advise why the 145 degree Thermostat on top of the boiler has no wires attached to it? How does it work!
 View Profile Link to this post
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 8:30pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Baby Twin 2006 Interesting Problems

Sorry I can't be too much of a help with your baby twin problem specifically, but I just wanted to make sure you're aware that the aluminum boiler in that machine (and most other home-Gaggia machines) is sensitive to acid corrosion.  Some people won't even run acid decalcifiers through the machines in fear of having to replace the boiler (this includes citric and tartaric acid).  Most people are just careful not to let the decalcifier sit in the machine for the full time recommended in a boiler of other conductive materials like Cu.  Soaking overnight might become problematic, and I suspect you'll see some significant diminishing returns after 60 minutes, although I would still worry about 60 min of aluminum-acid reaction.  For the water temp, I would suggest actually measuring what's coming out with a kitchen thermometer before replacing anything.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 10:06pm

Welcome to CG!

You may have seen this and links in it.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

Great help for Gaggias and understanding parts in proper setting

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

Part 21 is the 145C steam stat.  No wires?  That might affect steam.  Were they disconnected because of problems similar to the thread above?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
BraitheS
BraitheS

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 4:06am

HI mate

Thanks for your reply; i did see your name in those other threads too.

I can't remember there ever being any wires attached to the top thermostat. I thought it was weird but wasn't sure exactly what it was doing; i didn't find any unconnected wires either. Maybe I didn't have a closer look. I will tomorrow though - gee I hope that's not it, I'll feel like an idiot!

Failing that I'll look at the solenoid. There's a very good Youtube video about it.

b
D4F

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 9:35am

I am not so sure now.  I tried to go through the parts diagram line by line, looking for fuse or stat, and see that 65 is a 175C stat on the thermoblock.  When looking at the wiring diagram, also Partsguru, I do not see the stat in question, which should show on the boiler.  You can see the side or boiler stat.

I have never looked at a Baby Twin, just the diagrams, so I could be missing something.  Not a great diagram to me.

D4F also at
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 10:19am

I've never seen the insides of a Twin either, but suspect that the reason there are no wires attached to the steam stat at the top of the boiler is that that boiler is not actually used for steaming.  I have no idea why a stat would be on there at all, but maybe just because they are using the same boiler as is used in the models which DO use the boiler for steaming?

Just a pre-coffee early morning thought....
D4F

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 11:17am

SJM Said:

I have no idea why a stat would be on there at all, but maybe just because they are using the same boiler as is used in the models which DO use the boiler for steaming?

Posted October 12, 2013 link

That was my thought also, but I cannot understand why the stat is there.  I did not check model numbers on the boilers, but most are the same, if aluminum as this is.  Very inefficient cost containment if it is not used  :)

D4F also at
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 11:26am

Yeah, well it was just a guess, and the accompanying guess is that just maybe there is some (???) downside to leaving that hole that the stat plugs into open ???  And that the minimal cost of a stat to plug it, and the fact that then the boilers can just be put into any of several models ....blah blah blah....the economics of mass production are waaaaay above my pay grade....:-))))
BraitheS
BraitheS

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 3:30pm

Hey guys

Thanks heaps for the great info!

I've just made my morning coffee using the BT for espresso and my Via Venezio for steam (was using the VV daily and the Espresso Deluxe before that, might hold onto the VV either way :) )

Once it's cooled down I'll have a look inside.

Just checked the Classic and BT diagrams side by side; they both have the 107 degree thermostat and the side and 145 on top. Viewed some pics of the Classic, and yes there's some wires attached to both thermostats....oh dear I can feel "idiot" coming on...I just hope in compensation I can provide assistance once day...

I'll let you know anyway.
b
D4F

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 3:43pm

That is the Classic steam stat, but I am not sure the function on BT.  I believe that BT has steam stat on the thermoblock and it would not serve to have the boiler get to steam. Of course if you find wires for it....

D4F also at
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Baby Twin...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.450450181961)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+