Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville and the SCAA
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville and the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
JuanR

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 10:38am
Subject: Re: Breville and the SCAA

Still disappointing.  I'm far enough along in my coffee knowledge that I'm skeptical of almost anything I read that hasn't been verified by a few different trusted sources.  But think of a newbie:  they come to coffeegeek and the first thing they see on the homepage is two articles about the SCAA Conference.  This gives added weight to the event and to the organization.  The newbies go check it out and what do they find but a list of SCAA award winners.  That is the SCAA putting their name behind a product, ad revenue or not (and those products may be great, at this point I have no idea one way or the other).

I would hope that the SCAA would aspire to a higher level of trust than that.  It's disappointing.

Thanks for the input everyone.  Feel free to respond if you have anything to add, but I think I'll drop out at this point.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 11:15am

Check out my review of the Friis Coffee Vault:
http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/friis.html

As interesting as it is on its own merit, look at the bottom and the fact that it was awarded best of show for new products at Coffeefest (not related to SCAA).
On the other hand, the Offero coffee cup won best new "Coffee or Tea Preparation & Serving Equipment" {EDIT at the SCAA exhibition in 2012 in Portland} over the Behmor Brazen, so there is certainly something at work there. The Brazen won the Peoples' Choice Award in that category.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 3:49pm

There is one recommendation I value...J.D.Power and the other is the test of time. To me the most serious test is the consumer and the real
gut wrenching day to day. Anyone can get a new product with a lot of eye candy and wizz bang gadgets to work right for a week.
What will happen down the road is what counts to me. Isnt there a saying standing the test of time? Breville to me isnt worth the gamble. I am not wealthy
enough to have that kind of discretionary income. I am thankful to those at C.G. who tell it like it is and have the knowledge to educate people.
I was one of those five years ago when my Breville espresso nightmare was raging. I humbled myself came here and just did what a few said ( you know who you are)
and Im on the road. Now my daughter and her new husband have that faithful SBDU Classic and shes beating like a drum.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 10:49am

I am the one who actually judged this category at the SCAA.  This particular category was quite varied.  There was a Turkish coffee maker, dripper stands, tea presses and Clever coffee drippers.  
Essentially there are 5-6 items to judge on and you assign points based upon a 1-10 point scale.  Then total the points and the winner is the one with the most points.  The points were very very close on 3 products and I think it was up to the SCAA judging committee to actually pick the winner.

If you want to have your product in this competition you sign up and pay a fee.  Only the winner is placed in the best new product display case.

BillC
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 1:44pm

Thanks Bill, good info.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 3:22pm

So Bill what you're saying is that all the speculative, cynical crap about advertising was just that... crap.

I thought so, but nice to have it confirmed by someone with actual knowledge.

BDL

PS.  JD Power doesn't do evaluations.  It polls owners.
JuanR

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 10:54am

billc Said:

I am the one who actually judged this category at the SCAA.  This particular category was quite varied.  There was a Turkish coffee maker, dripper stands, tea presses and Clever coffee drippers.  
Essentially there are 5-6 items to judge on and you assign points based upon a 1-10 point scale.  Then total the points and the winner is the one with the most points.  The points were very very close on 3 products and I think it was up to the SCAA judging committee to actually pick the winner.

If you want to have your product in this competition you sign up and pay a fee.  Only the winner is placed in the best new product display case.

BillC

Posted October 12, 2013 link

Bill, thanks for the inside perspective.  That does put to rest some of the comments on here, I would think.
christopher197404

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 6:02pm

In my opinion, some great espresso machines could not get nomination because a association likes SCAA may just put attention to the big brands in coffee maker field~
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville and the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.366714954376)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+