Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville and the SCAA
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville and the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JuanR

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 2:14pm
Subject: Breville and the SCAA

I hope this topic does not cause any problems; I've seen how out of control some threads have become at the mere mention of Breville.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the fact that Breville won Best New Product, Coffee or Tea Preparation & Serving Equipment (Consumer), at this year's SCAA event for their Barista Espress machine?  I don't see anything in this forum about it and just wondered if this might change any perspectives.

I just happened to notice and was curious to see what you guys thought.  The SCAA gets thrown around a lot (eg. "I won't take that brewer seriously until it's SCAA approved, then I might have a closer look at it"), and this would seem to be a pretty strong endorsement of a Breville machine on their part.
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 2:45pm
Subject: Re: Breville and the SCAA

Who were the other contenders and how does one get nominated?

Not expressing an opinion otherwise, never having owned or used a single Breville appliance, but I've seen too many Grammy awards go for absolute crap, despite being voted on by industry professionals, to take any sort of awards seriously without having some idea of what the process for nomination and what the competition is.
JuanR

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 2:52pm

I completely agree, and have absolutely no idea how one gets nominated or voted in.

I just have seen posters use SCAA as backup for something that they think is good time and again; so it was interesting to me that Breville was on this list, when so many here have such contempt for that company.

Not saying they deserve or don't deserve the accolade, it's only an observation and a conversation starter.  By all means fill me in if you think the award is crap, or if you think it has real meaning.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 3:11pm

I believe that many coffee products get SCAA awards but do not get SCAA Certification.  In other words, just because an item gets an award is not necessarially a precursor to SCAA certification.  Its kind of like a popularity contest at High School; the most popular are not necessarially the best and brightest.

FWIW

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 6:51am

nm

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
JuanR

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 7:51am

Does anyone know what the criteria are?  Now I want to know.  I went onto their site and tried to find some parameters but couldn't.  There is the "People's Choice" that attendees vote on, so that's pretty cut and dried.  It's the other award, the Best New Product, that I can't find any info on.  I am guessing this is chosen by a panel of judges at the event?

Does anyone know?
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 8:00am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

the most popular are not necessarially the best and brightest.

FWIW

Len

Posted October 10, 2013 link

Advertising dollars play into these things as they do with magazines and websites regardless of all the rhetoric to the contrary.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 8:34am

Those companies who wish to vie for the award pay a fee to be included in the voting.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
JuanR

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 8:47am

frcn Said:

Those companies who wish to vie for the award pay a fee to be included in the voting.

Posted October 11, 2013 link

Wow, really?  I have to say that's pretty disappointing (not necessarily for this example, I don't care about Breville at all, just in general).  So these "awards" are completely meaningless.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 9:05am

JuanR Said:

Wow, really?  I have to say that's pretty disappointing (not necessarily for this example, I don't care about Breville at all, just in general).  So these "awards" are completely meaningless.

Posted October 11, 2013 link

Really no different then car mags, workout mags, business mags etc... advertising $$$$ is where it counts. I can look through some of my cars mags and see test where X car won and low and behold the mag along with a couple of their other issues are full of X car adverts.... then another test where a different car/truck wins, and once again that mag and for example it's following issues are full of that vehicles adverts. Same for other mags.... just the biz

Nothing against Breville, they do have some cool stuff. My neighbor has a Youbrew which is pry the best all around brew unit with built in grinder, which apparently didn't meet the SCCA certs yet makes a cup basically as good/extremely close to a Bonavita or Techo. And yet from what the SCCA said the Youbrew wasn't at the right temps and fell off fast, spent the least amount of time at X temp etc, they must of gotten a bad unit or something b/c if that was true you would easily tell a difference between it and the latter two, which I really couldn't, though I personally would still go with a stand alone grinder and one of the others.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville and the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.400564908981)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+