Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Nespresso
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nespresso  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Jun 1, 2013, 7:02am
Subject: Re: Nespresso

Very FEW people here are coffee snobs, and -- while I know this wasn't your intention -- it's a rather insulting term.

And some people prefer convenience over taste . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
shnxx
shnxx
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 9:15pm

This is an interesting thread.

Although the OP's posts are a bit trollish, I do wonder what coffeekgeek forum members think of nespresso capsules if they've tried it.

I have one at home and one abroad and I am a huge fan of it.

Although it doesn't compare to a real espresso, the convenience is amazing.
Taste is not what I would call "espresso" but it is good enough for a quick cup of coffee especially when I'm traveling/staying at my second place.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 8:32am

shnxx Said:

This is an interesting thread . . . . I do wonder what coffeekgeek forum members think of nespresso capsules if they've tried it.

Posted October 7, 2013 link

My experience with Nespresso is rather varied.  A part of me wants to like it, but every shot I've ever had at a Sur la Table or other store attempting to sell it has left me saying "Yuck!" to myself as I look for a trashcan that will hold liquids without leaking . . .

It wasn't until I stayed with a friend at his flat in New York City that I had a chance to play with his machine, settings and -- more importantly -- try the various (some obscure) coffee offerings they had.  Some were certainly better than others, and I found I could make a decent single shot of "Nespresso" with those.  Yes, it wasn't true espresso, but I preferred those offerings to anything I've had from a K-cup design or other pre-ground "pod-type" setup.

I would never buy one, but I no longer dismiss them outright.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 1:44pm

jayapatel Said:

I do like my nepresso citiz and milk....i suppose i'm not a coffee snob yet.

Posted May 31, 2013 link

I know I'm replying to an old post in this thread but there's an important distinction between being picky about something and being a snob despite how often people mistakenly seem to assume that they're interchangeable.  One can be picky about coffee (or anything) without being a snob.
shnxx
shnxx
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 1:40am

I just compared nespresso to my HX machine's espresso side-by-side.

Taste is a lot more bland and texture is different.
I believe the crema is just fake crema.

However, it's not too bad. I would say better than some terrible coffee joints like Starbucks, etc.

shnxx: Untitled 28.001.jpg
(Click for larger image)
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 7:25am

shnxx Said:

I believe the crema is just fake crema.

Posted October 9, 2013 link

I think you can be pretty sure that it's foamed coffee, made by a so called crema valve (a device used by many superautomatics that works like a pressurized portafilter), instead of real crema (i.e. an emulsion of water and aromatic oils that forms tiny bubbles around carbon dioxide released during extraction when water is pressed through finely ground fresh coffee at around 9 bar and the right temperature).

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
sherpakid

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 10:09am

My sister has a Nespresso machine. She lives 750 miles from me, so when we visit, we either bring our coffee equipment or suffer the Nespresso. I once brought my espresso machine and forgot the grinder - so it was all in vain. I do not like the Nespresso coffee, but I will drink it because there is not a coffee shop in Fishers, IN that can pull espresso any better than the Nespresso can make. I find it flat, thin, watery and just plain uninteresting. So, I have two choices - I can either detox and lay on the floor through the holiday holding myself in a cold sweat while I shiver through withdrawl or drink it.

I see how people can like it though. If you don't have much to reference and you think espresso should be dark and bitter, then Nespresso will be quite good to that palate. However, after being a geek for well over 9 years now and working in the industry, it's just hard to stomach it.

www.prohibitionspecialtycoffee.com
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 10:48am

Cold brew in a stainless water bottle.  Great for travel and camping. Add hot water, chocolate or cold milk.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 12:17am

First and most of all Nespresso is one thing: clever marketing! Nestlé has created an air of classiness that simply isn't there.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
David_Batson

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Breville BCG800XL Smart...
Posted Sun Oct 13, 2013, 8:54am

I bought one new and tried it for a few days.  Didn't like the coffee, so I returned the machine.  I tried all the darker roast pods that came with the machine.  I don't really like medium or light roast coffee, so I didn't try those.

IMO, as small as the capsules are, you can only pull a single shot of espresso from one.  Try to get any more, and it's just watered-down, over-extracted coffee.  That's over $1.20 (US) for a double-shot using 2 capsules.  Too pricey.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nespresso  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.523118019104)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+