Espresso: Espresso Machines
Machine advice
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine advice  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
SofubiShogun

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 6:06pm
Subject: Machine advice

1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
- Just a single drink each morning with an occasional one at night, non milk
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
- just one usually, perhaps two on occasion
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
- 7-10
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pour over machine with its own reservoir?
- For starting off, a reservoir would be preferable
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
- most likely just a 15
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?
- under a thousand (yes, yes I know) Likely getting a Baratza Vario or a Mini Mazzer
7)  Are you willing to buy used or do you need new equipment? Do you or family member have the skills to repair used equipment?
- Would prefer new, not many places to service machines here
8)  Do you have the essential accessories (decent tamper, knockbox, the works), otherwise budget about $100 for these.
- I can afford these above my listed budget

Hello one and all,
Hoping for advice on a new machine. I was thinking about using a twist but people have pointed out the reoccurring CO2 costs. I know a grinder is the top priority to start. I love coffee but only make pour over and press at my house. Hoping to start with home espresso so any input would be greatly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 6:24am
Subject: Re: Machine advice

Welcome to CG!

Where exactly are you located?  
For a $1,000 you can get a respectable single boiler machine + grinder

Typical machines out there right now that I would consider at least are..

- Gaggia Classic
- LeLit  (PL041QE,PL041TQE)
- Crossland CC1
- Ranchillio Silvia
-

Grinders. If you think you are going to upgrade your espresso machine down the road I'd spend more now so you don't need to replace again.
- Lelit PL53 w/ LeLit  (PL041QE,PL041TQE)
- Baratza Vario
- Baratza Preciso
- Ascaso I mini
- Compak K-3 Touch
- Macap M2/M4
- Mazzer Mini

My recommendation.. Either.

1. LeLit PL041QE + Lelit PL53 for $870
  2. Crossland CC1+ Baratza Preciso for $1000
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 6:28am

If you really wanna keep the cost down a hand grinder + something like a lightly modded Saeco Via Venesia will do well.  Looking at closer to $500.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
noremacc

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 2:43pm

I'm pretty much looking for the same as the OP, except mostly milk based drinks (latte), and a slightly higher volume made per day.

I was leaning towards the Ranchillio Silvia but not confident about the ~15 min warmup times the reviews and video overviews seem to have.

Also the Crossland has the PID, which I had decided to forgo due to the higher cost of PID machines, so a bit wary of the pricepoint and having a PID (not sure what they cut out to get that in).

Any comments on those, particularly about the 4 you mentioned and the warmup time?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 9:44pm

CC1 is the only single boiler that I would consider.  But really I bought used so I could get an HX and I am not sorry.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 8:35am

Avoid Silvia at all costs.  CC1 is a much better choice.  

In any case, 15 minutes is a very short warm up for any espresso machine.  There's more to it than boiling water.

Grinder, grinder, grinder.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Fred1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 9:16am

The CC1 is the class of the field.   Silvia is an old design that still sells for $639.00.  No longer worth the money.  If the price were reduced to say $399.00, it might merit some consideration.

The CC1 has a PID and programable pre infusion.

Contact Chris's Coffee or Seattle Coffee Gear to get a package price for CC1 and grinder.

Fred
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine advice  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310533046722)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+