Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Please read before you post New Machine buying question.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please read...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 10:26am
Subject: Re: Please read before you post New Machine buying question.

Most welcome!  Glad you are here.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 2:52am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Most welcome!  Glad you are here.

Posted September 14, 2013 link

A big thank you also from this newbie.  I found this sticky to be invaluable.  Sadly I had to wade through some needless bickering  that for some insane reason disagreed with this thread.  As a seasoned member of other forum communities, I see the point of stickies like this. They save needless repeated discussions and quickly point people in the right direction, and provide crucial insight for people unfamiliar with the world of specialty coffee, such as
this
post, which I found particularly insightful.

Anyway, I look forward to being part of this awesome community.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 9:11am

Thank you, I mostly just gathered up what others posted in a format that I felt would do the job in the shortest amount of time/space.

Ben is a very intelligent and well spoken young man and I believe will go far.

I am sorry you read the whole thread but welcome anyway.

Coffeenoobie

Nurk2
Nurk2
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggio Classic
Grinder: Gaggio MDF
Drip: French Press
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 2:33pm

First post.

This sticky is completely worthwhile. I read the whole thread... I've been on boards of this sort for ever (I'm a musician). This is completely typical back-and-forth.

Moved to French Press for coffee last year. Best decision ever.

Now I want good espresso. Been researching making espresso for two years. It took me two years to convince myself that I really had to spend the money to get a decent grinder. I pulled the trigger on a Gaggia Classic with MDF grinder. Should arrive today. Looking forward to trying it out.

Maybe I'll come back with some questions.

Thanks!

If it sounds good, it is good.
~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 6:33pm

Thank you and good luck.  You missed the drama lama.  But all is well that ends well.

Coffeenoobie

SofubiShogun

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 2:04pm

First time poster already stepping on my tongue. Seems like this is the correct place for my question. I have been making coffee for years in Chemex, FP and  more recently Aeropress but would like to finally have some home espresso. I was wondering if the Baratza Vario and MyPressi Twist would be a decent starting combo? I do have a reliable way to heat water to an exact temp and I will just be making one nonmilk drink for myself so no need for a diner party machines just yet. Would it be better to just go mini Mazzer? I do plan to keep doing the other methods of extraction as well. Thanks for any input on this combo.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 8:55pm

SofubiShogun Said:

Seems like this is the correct place for my question.

Posted October 5, 2013 link

Actually it isn't. You'd be best posting this question into the Espresso Machines forum in a new topic rather than this sticky.

There really isn't any point to mentioning anything machine specific in this sticky because as time goes on, machines change, new machines come out and older machines get discontinued.

The MyPressi Twist is a portable espresso maker which uses cartridges to provide the pressure. While portable espresso makers are great for when you are on vacation, out and about and
for someone who wishes to seldom have espresso, I don't believe that they make for a decent "Daily driver". Only because the constant replacement of Nitrogen cartridges take away any economic advantage.

Please carefully read the standard questions at the top of this sticky, copy and paste them into a new thread and answer them so that we can help you choose the best machine for your needs.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
SofubiShogun

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 5:56pm

My mistake, I missed the part about a new thread.
patou

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 11:52am

Hi!
This is my first post and probably not in the adequate forum, so please indicate where I should post it if that's the case. Till I know how to get around in this forum.

I had my first machine a "Makita" if I remember correctly the name. Then I upgraded to a Saeco Magic Cappuccino Combi about 10 years ago. I had it serviced three times since then and do not want to put additional money on it.

I've been looking around for the last two months and I'm considering the Nuovo Simonnelli Oscar and the Breville BES900XL. My main difficulty lies in the quality of the Breville and its bad reputation. The other point is the service. To my knowledge there are no authorized service for Breville in Canada. This is a concern if I experience any problem with it.

The Oscar is in the same price range, without many of the options on the Breville. It does have PID, a very good steam and a very good shot. Easy to use.

But I do like all the options of the Breville, although it will take time for me to make a good use of it.

I drink a couple of espresso during the day, make a "café au lait" each morning for my wife. I find annoying my present machine when we have many guests asking for espresso, cappuccino etc. There's always about 1/4 of an inch of water on top of the coffee grind in the handle and there's too much water dripping also.

Feel free to offer suggestion on other machines in that price range to help me out....or mix me up more LOL!
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 12:45pm

It depends what you're looking for.

It's much easier to make good coffee consistently with a Breville Double Boiler (aka BDB) than a (stock) Oscar. The BDB is packed with all sorts of features making it a very friendly and easy to use machine -- especially for beginners.  

By and large, the BDB has proven very reliable since a few months after its introduction; and been extremely well supported since. Of course there are people who've had bad luck, but that's true with every machine.  

A few years ago, I bought an Oscar in my office and kept it there for a year.  Despite "barista education," neither my secretary nor para could ever get it remotely close to right; and I found it a PITA, even compared to the obsolete Livia 90 I had at home.  

On the other hand, compared to the BDB, the Oscar is better machinery. Oscars last FOREVER. In addition to build quality, Oscars recover quickly and have excellent steam power.  Unfortunately they lack OPVs and vacuum breaker valves -- making them less convenient than they would be if they had them.  I understand they can be made significantly more consistent and less finicky with a few modifications; but I've only used stock Oscars, so can't comment on the user-improved versions.  

That said, whatever worries you have about Breville long term reliability can be addressed by buying at BB&B and taking advantage of their "as long as you own it" warranty.

Breville will be coming out with a new and improved version of the BDB in the next few months.  From what I've heard, the new model addresses all of the current model's shortcomings.  For instance, it recovers faster, steams better, and can be user descaled.  

If I were buying a machine for either of my kids, it would be a BDB.  If I were buying a new machine for myself, I wouldn't get either.  But... easy for me to say.

Finally, GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER.  Figure four and a half bills, minimum for an electric grinder good enough to pair with either machine.

BDL
showing page 10 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please read...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377908945084)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+