Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
ec155 seems to be failing
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ec155 seems to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
arpad

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 7:21am
Subject: ec155 seems to be failing

It's certain.  After many descaling attempts, my EC155 can't pull a trouble free shot.  It seems to have gotten weaker in delivering the water and additionally, I'm having a hard time getting the green light to stay on for a full pull.  When the green light goes off in the middle of a pull, the pump shuts off until it comes on again... effectively ruining my shot.

The best I can do is about 15s worth of green light and that's after running water through several times and standing ready to pull the second the light comes back on.

I purchased the machine in May '13.  I suppose the next step is to call DeLonghi.  Any experiences out there, with this?

UPDATE: sigh.  I've been using an unpressurized basket.  I put the pressurized double shot basket back in and it stayed green the entire time.  It seems, though, that it used to do a better job with the unpressurized basket.

I know... "buy a better machine."  I wish I could right now.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 8:17am
Subject: Re: ec155 seems to be failing

Did you use an actual descaling agent? Machines like this aren't meant to be descaled like a regular espresso machine.   The descale may have damaged the internals.  Cafiza also shouldn't be used inside but it's great to clean the baskets. Also you want the boiler to kick back in sooner rather than later.  Once cold water from the tank goes into the boiler it starts cooling the hot water inside.  My old Delonghi would usually kick back in once I got about 15 sec into a shot with the unpressurized basket. I would run 2-3 full tanks of water through the machine, group and steam to clear out anything left behind from the descale.  If water delivery is the same without any coffee in the portailfter then water flow isn't a problem.  Just adjust your grind/ tamp.  If you try pulling a shot and it's tasty and hot then your machine is still ok. :) If water delivery is slow with no coffee you may have harmed the pump. If the temp is cool you may have damaged the element.  

If you wanna descale the Delonghi, your only option is to tear it apart and soak the boiler and element in 50/50 vinegar water.
Id your Delonghi is damaged look around on Ebay or buy a new one.  For $100 tho you get what you get.  

Bottom line If you get hot water with regular even flow from the grouphead your good to go.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 8:28am

Agree with Burners post above.

Also I had a Bar32 (same internally as EC155) that started having trouble and went, didn't even bother with Delonghi for warranty as dealing with them makes you want to pull your hair out, and these machines are unfortunately junkers once they start having issues. There's no parts or anything you can buy to service them, they go, you throw them out. If you bought from a retail store you could try through them to get a replacement since you just bought a few months ago. I don't think there's any manuals or anything for these machines, and they use odd screws, I had to go buy some long torx (or something else, forgetting) and it's a pain in the ass to take apart, I just did for the hell of it since it broke and you almost can't get it apart w/o plastic breaking lol.
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 8:46am

If it is busted or well just cause I'd look at getting one of these.  You will get a better shot.
DoubleVanos
DoubleVanos
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Lelit PL41, DeLonghi EC155
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Ascaso mini,...
Drip: Chemex, Kone
Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 10:04am

arpad Said:

It's certain.  After many descaling attempts, my EC155 can't pull a trouble free shot.  It seems to have gotten weaker in delivering the water and additionally, I'm having a hard time getting the green light to stay on for a full pull.  When the green light goes off in the middle of a pull, the pump shuts off until it comes on again... effectively ruining my shot.

The best I can do is about 15s worth of green light and that's after running water through several times and standing ready to pull the second the light comes back on.

I purchased the machine in May '13.  I suppose the next step is to call DeLonghi.  Any experiences out there, with this?

UPDATE: sigh.  I've been using an unpressurized basket.  I put the pressurized double shot basket back in and it stayed green the entire time.  It seems, though, that it used to do a better job with the unpressurized basket.

I know... "buy a better machine."  I wish I could right now.

Posted October 2, 2013 link

If your pump is shutting off like that during a pull, I would think that the pump is on it's way out.  I'm not 100% sure but I think these machines use Ulka pumps, which aren't exactly cheap but are usually quite durable.  I have descaled my old Ec155 in the past and have done it in the same manner I do on my Lelit which is a very similar machine internally.  I always made sure that I only used cold water in the reservoir as hot water can ruin the pump.

With that said, if it does require a pump replacement the cost wouldn't be that far off from buying a brand new EC155.  For what it's worth, I think they are good value and can make a great shot if unpressurized.
arpad

Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 10:15am

Thanks.  I'm back to using the pressurized basket and it's giving me something drinkable, though not great.  At this point, I'm leaning towards trying to figure out how to get $200 together.  Whole Latte Love has the Gaggia Baby, refurbished.  We just ordered one at work, so I'll be able to check it out.

Maybe I'll try to get DeLonghi to fix it since it's under a year.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 10:42am

arpad Said:

Thanks.  I'm back to using the pressurized basket and it's giving me something drinkable, though not great.  At this point, I'm leaning towards trying to figure out how to get $200 together.  Whole Latte Love has the Gaggia Baby, refurbished.  We just ordered one at work, so I'll be able to check it out.

Maybe I'll try to get DeLonghi to fix it since it's under a year.

Posted October 2, 2013 link

Wholelatte has the Classic refurbed as well, on Ebay their like 270 or so (they sell them higher on their website), better machine. What grinder were you using?
Burner0000

Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 10:44am

Not bad for a Gaggia.  For fixing the Delonghi they may tell you they won't bcause you cleaned with descaling agent, goes against the warrenty.
arpad

Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 10:47am

I'm using the Hario mini hand grinder.
arpad

Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 10:47am

It appears that the Gaggia Classic and the Gaggia Baby are the same machine, internally.  Sorry for going off topic.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ec155 seems to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.405802965164)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+