Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Is my 3-way solenoid failing?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is my 3-way...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
floepie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 1:20pm
Subject: Is my 3-way solenoid failing?

Graduating from a Saeco Classico, which has no 3-way valve, to a previously-owned Gaggia Classic, which is equipped with the solenoid, I'm a little disappointed with its ability to "dry" the puck.  Most of my pulls results in a somewhat watery mess.  There is some water that is expelled into the tray resulting from the back pressure at the end of the pull, but apparently, not enough to dry out the grinds.  Is it such that the solenoid is either working properly or not, or are there varying degrees of performance, such that it performs somewhere between the way it shipped from the factory and a complete fail?

Today I managed to dismantle and clean up the solenoid a bit, checking for good spring action, and everything looked fine.  Still, I wind up with a significant amount of water on the top of the grinds at the end of the shot.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 1:49pm
Subject: Re: Is my 3-way solenoid failing?

Welcome to Gaggia Classic.  The dry puck myth is exposed again.  The 3 way is a pressure release and it sounds like yours is working from your description.  It is kind of like the 3 bears, too much or too little vs just right.  If the puck is too full, you will get more grinds into/under the screen and often a messy puck, as well as channeling. If the puck is too little or too far down, the water is not vacuumed off. The 3 way is just a pressure relief and the dry puck is a desired side effect.  If/when you back flush, you will notice that water is left in the blind basket, as only down to a certain level can be removed.  This is probably some combination of pressure relief and siphon until air can break the siphon.  

That said, I almost have a firm dry puck and a minimal central screw indent on the puck, the just right amount.  Add a few beans and risk having the puck into the screen, remove many and wet puck.

Impressive that you have already jumped in and disassembled, and assembled.  You are obviously experienced.  So, other mods already done, OPV and Pressure wand?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
floepie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 2:04pm

Yeah, I'm probably not filling the portafilter high enough with grinds, and thereby, asking too much of the valve to expel such excess amounts of water.  But, then again, I'm at the point where I'm getting an appropriate amount of extraction with a 30 second pull, so I'm hesitant to add more grinds.  This, even after a thorough cleaning/descaling of the brew group.  Conventional wisdom would prompt me to dial down the grind a bit, but judging by the feel of the grinds from previous experience, I'm already at the upper limits of what I'd consider an "espresso machine" grind.  Perhaps the real culprit is the pump.
D4F

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 3:20pm

I do not know your grinder, but grind fineness vs weight, vs a bit on tamp and you should be able to adjust to just touch the screw with a used puck.  Also OPV/pressure if not already done.  OTOH, a dry puck is convenience, not necessary for flavor.

D4F also at
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 3:47pm

You should get a digi scale that measures to .1 grams so you know what your dose is. Also I looked up that grinder but theres nothing about a Solis Maestro Deluxe, however the regular Solis Maestro is just a rebadge Baratza Maestro I believe (or vice versa), of which neither are near capable for espresso as they were designed for entry level grinders for coarse use, on a pressurized portafilter machine yes which your previous one looks like it was, but not on a real PF machine like the Gaggia Classic. Another reason your grinds are pry soupy as it's not capable of doing an espresso grind.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 4:00pm

Fred (D4f) is right in. The reason for the valve is to let pressure off the PF, not to dry the puck. A dry puck MAY BE a side effect of releasing pressure but it is only a bonus if it happens. If you like what you are getting in the cup, don't worry about it. If it REALLY bugs you try going slightly more coarse and use a little more coffee.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 5:33pm

Of course if the grinder is not finely stepped or stepless the adjustment of a touch more coarse and more coffee might not work and that may be the reluctance to change.  Before I would suspect the pump I would like to know what pressure at the group the pump delivers and if it will hold pressure and let the OPV work properly.  It could be that the OPV is already set to 9 bar and you are deallng with less pressure than you are used to.

Click Here (coffeeforums.co.uk)(over-Pressure-Valve)-Gaggia-Classic

D4F also at
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is my 3-way...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.333203077316)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+