Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What to buy? SBDU or lower end HX?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What to buy?...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 12:26pm
Subject: Re: What to buy? SBDU or lower end HX?

This ^  The Rocky is a toy.

And yes, PLEASE don't buy a Silvia. They are quite possibly the worst value for the money in the entire home espresso range. They're like a Starbucks Barista with a 58mm group and a $700 price tag.
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 1:19pm

Here's the thing.. The Silvia is a good machine as well as the rocky.  For what you are after though it will do the job nicely but not as nicely as an HX and a good stepless grinder will do.

Silvia:  I am a proud owner and it's a great machine but.. If you want to brew say 4 shots at a time you will have to wait for the machine to cycle between each shot approx 30 seconds.  If your looking to make 4 lattes you will have to make steam, refill boiler and brew for each(3-4 min).   With an HX you can brew all 4 back to back and steam 1 big pitcher of milk while doing so.  If this is OK with you then you will be more than happy with the Silvia.

Rocky:  Great grinder, versatile and solid build stepped.  This will give you 5-10 steps depending on the coffee you are using to dial it in.  With a Vario, Preciso you have many many more settings to chose from. Better yet a good stepless grinder the settings are infinite. Brands (OE Lido, Pharos hand grinders, Ascaso, Macap, Mazzer, Compak, Lelit).  Pick your poison.  

I am happy with the Silvia because I am the only drinker in my home so using a few extra minutes to brew for others doesn't bother me.

They're like a Starbucks Barista with a 58mm group and a $700 price tag.

Build quality is made of the same commercial parts they use in their larger class machines.  Also Gorilla sized compared to the Startbucks barista machines.  With the Silvia the materials they use to build (copper, metal, polished steel and brass) you get what you pay for.

Burner0000: Presentation1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
OwenA

Expertise: I love coffee

Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 1:36pm

Cheers for all the replies folks

The Silvia, i get that it is overpriced, i meant more that it was cheaper than an HX in the short term. It does look like an HX is what I will go for, money permitting, and I'll manage with the Gaggia MM (which is a toy too as far as i can tell) for a while until I upgrade that to something stepless (or with a huge number of stps it seems).
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 1:40pm

Happy hunting. :)  If your walet can't afford it just watch the Buy/Sell forum.  You can always find a great deal from a fellow CG user.  I did several times. :p  (Behmor, Silvia, commercial grinder)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What to buy?...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307780981064)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+