Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What after Rancillio Silvia for non pro?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What after...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brettr

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 9:16am
Subject: Re: What after Rancillio Silvia for non pro?

Maybe I got confused on the whole three hole wand thing, which came from an earlier quote, "...articulating v3 version...".

For those that have used them, does single vs three hole make any difference?  

It sounds like three hole is not an option for the Silvia.  But the BZ02 only has a single hole as well and I don't want to get involved with wrenching on it to upgrade to three hole...especially if there is not difference.

From what you guys are saying, the BZ02 will be a better overall machine compared to the Silvia.  It will provide benefits of the BDB without needing to send it off periodically.  

In the end, I'm interested in better shots.  All else equal (i.e., my skills), the BZ02 should deliver better shots compared to the Silvia right?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 9:43am

brettr Said:

I'm lost by what you mean about HX vs SBDU.

Posted September 30, 2013 link

heat exchange
single boiler dual use

you need to read the buying guide accessible through the guides & how tos link above (skinny dark green bar above)

brettr Said:

You said a SBDU Sylvia is better than any HX.  Is that a different machine from the Rancillio Silvia?

nobody on his board (or possibly any other board) has ever said that.  SBDU is the class descriptor of the Silvia based on it's internal components/functionality.  One could also call it a semi-automatic.

brettr Said:

As for three whole wand, it was mentioned earlier on this thread as being better than single whole wands.  But I've heard this as well over the years.

number of holes is user preference.  One can easily purchase one of several after-market wand tips for almost any machine, typically 1-4 holes are available (though some machines you can only find one or two variants).  Hole angles and sizes are important to some people as well.  My thought is, if you are willing to learn, you can probably make good microfoam with any tip on your wand (though I'd concede that some tips will make it much, much easier to make it than others).

brettr Said:

I don't need to pull shots and steam at the same time.  I steam after pulling a shot.  I only do lattes and not straight espresso too.  Although that might come into play if I ever find a machine that can produce good straight espresso.

most of us who have machines that cansteam while pullling shots don't actually take advantage of that.  We tend to be very geeky about watching our extractions. However, if the machine is capable of doing both at the same time, that means it can froth milk anytime we're ready, which is usually immediately after we stop the shot.  With a SBDU machine (such as the Silvia), it is not ready to froth immediately after the shot (and if you steam first, it's not ready to pull a shot immediately after that).  There's a waiting period to get the boiler to the proper temperature for the second prt of the process(whether it's frothing or extracting).  That is a big difference, and why it is important (to some people) to have a machine that is capable of frothing and extracting simultaneously.

brettr Said:

The BZ02 can't use distilled water.  I have no idea about creating soft water, or reverse osmosis water with some mineral content.  I have a Zero water filter and use that with the Silvia.

Machines with autofill boilers need a mineral gradient to trigger the pump to fill the boiler.  Since the Silvia doesn't autofill, one can get away with using mineral free water.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 9:49am

to change a steam wand tip, it unscrews off the end of the wand, then you simply screw on the replacement.  It's about as easy as changing a lightbulb, unless you've got dried milk in the threads or cranked the old one on with a wrench (then you need a small wrench or pliers to get it started - but it's still super easy). New tips run around $10-20 or so (unless you're talking about the Sproline Foam Knife or Vortex, which are over $100 each).  Many of the brands will fit wands from different makes.  You just need to check/verify thread pitch, diameter and whether male or female (though there are adapters available too).

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 9:52am

brettr Said:

In the end, I'm interested in better shots.  All else equal (i.e., my skills), the BZ02 should deliver better shots compared to the Silvia right?

definitely!  The Bezzera will be more consistent and therefore your shot quality will have higher precision (assuming you have good prep technique).

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 9:58am

Thank you Ron, I guess I was not as clear as I thought I was, oh well, it is Monday ;D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brettr

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 12:27pm

Thanks everyone.

I'm still debating between the BZ02 and BDB, especially since seattlecoffeegear responded to some questions I had on maintenance of the BDB: Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)  They make it sound like no big deal.

The BDB seems like a better machine at the same price as the BZ02.  Unless I misunderstood, a double boiler is really only useful when pulling shots and foaming milk at the same time.

I've left out the grinder variable.  Maybe I will go with a new machine first then grinder.  But all around upgrade sounds like it is coming.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 1:16pm

Well there are more bells and whistles on the BDB but for build qulaity the BZ wins hands down.

Good luck whichever way you go and for sure, you will need a good grinder.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

brettr

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 1:32pm

Why do you say the build quality is better on the BZ?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 1:46pm

BZis a semi commercial machine while the BDB is a home class machine. Commercial parts are used in the BZ while not so much in the BDB.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

brettr

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 2:13pm

Ok, excellent.

In that case, I'm still looking at the BZ02 and something such as the Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What after...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.431246995926)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+